• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody OC in Sacramento County?

Hatchman

imported post

Hi, I am new to this forum, considering OC in Sacramento County, Sacramento and Elk Grove. I am still looking into the logistics. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

There is at least one person I know of that is at least peripherally interested in open carry in Sacramento. They are not at this date active.

The following links are online resources where I believe you will be able to search for ordinances related to firearms possession and discharge for your locality.

http://www.countycounsel.saccounty.net/CountyCode/index.htm

http://cityofsacramento.org/clerk/General/codes.htm

There may be other resources- but these seem to be most pertinent.

Hatchman

imported post

9.42.010 Prohibition.

The carrying, transportation, use or possession of dangerous weapons or dangerous articles is prohibited in or upon any building or grounds. (SCC 264 § 1 (part), 1976.)

9.42.020 Dangerous Weapon Defined.

As used in this chapter, "dangerous weapon" includes any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slingshot, billy, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, pistol, revolver, or any other firearm, razor with an unguarded blade, and any metal pipe or bar used or intended to be used in a club. (SCC 264 § 1 (part), 1976.)

This was on Sacramento County Website, I guess this means NO.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Hatchman wrote:
This was on Sacramento County Website, I guess this means NO.

If you mean while you were on County property or in a County building, you would be correct. This sounds a little like the prohibition of weapons on federal property. Violation is a misdemeanor.

Sometimes you have to look at the title to understand the context.

Chapter 9.42 DANGEROUS WEAPONS AND DANGEROUS ARTICLES ON COUNTY PROPERTY

(Emphasis mine.)

This ordinance would not prohibit possession in any other place other than county owned property. This would be places like a county library, landfill/wastewater treatment plant, superviors offices, council chambers, sheriffs office, a county hospital-- most of which are prohibited by PC171b anyway.

Hatchman

imported post

Yes, I got it now. Thank You for the clarification. The only other place I can find restrictions other than city or county bldgs, are city parks. Other than that It looks like I would be good to go. I still have alot of research.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Hatchman wrote:
Yes, I got it now. Thank You for the clarification. The only other place I can find restrictions other than city or county bldgs, are city parks. Other than that It looks like I would be good to go. I still have alot of research.
It is my understanding that state preemption covers all public places except public buildings and lots. I don't think cities/counties have the authority to prohibit carry in parks. This is one of those gray areas I'm not willing to be the test case on... yet.

Hatchman

imported post

Yeah, me either. Best to stay legit. There is a fishing hole at one of the city parks, and CA Penal Code says you can carry while fishing. I will have to look into this.

S&W5906

imported post

I have been open carrying fo quie sometime now here in SAC, however there have been a few times i have encountered LEO and been detained for quite sometime while they look into my criminal record (dont have one).... Even my bank doesnt mind...Also it is illegal to carry a firearm of any type into any park dependig on the city.. for example even off- duty LEOs are not allowed to carry withitn C.Heights.
:)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

S&W5906 wrote:
I have been open carrying fo quie sometime now here in SAC, however there have been a few times i have encountered LEO and been detained for quite sometime while they look into my criminal record (dont have one).... Even my bank doesnt mind...:)
I hope you followed up with the PD - police have no power to detain people meremy to determine if they are prohibited persons. The seizure must have roots in at least reasonable suspicion of crime being afoot, and even then, you don;t have to provide any personal info to them.

S&W5906

imported post

Im im the process of joining LE as well, dont want to stir to much up.. might not get in??????:?

Juice

imported post

I'm in Elk Grove and I OCd for the first time tonight. A short trip to Blockbuster and Bel Air.

At Blockbuster, none of the patrons seemed to notice nor care (if they did notice) that I was carrying. One of the employees then approached me and asked if I was LE, and I said no. He then asked if I had a permit to carry and I told him that you don't need one. He wasn't timid at all, and openly asked questions about it then we proceeded to carry on a conversation about recent releases. The store manager was working up front and he rang me up. He didn't seem to notice or care that I was carrying.

At Bel Air, I was just running in for milk and cereal, so my only contact was at the check out line. The guy ringing also asked if I was LE, same reply. He then said, "Justing carrying to carry?" I said, "Yep, you can never be too careful these days, especially at this time of night." He gave a nod and a smile and I went on home.

I was surpsied how interested people were. By reading some of the other stories here, there have been quite a few instances of people seeming timid or worried. I felt nothing like that tonight. At Blockbuster, people were walking around me just as if I hadn't been carrying, and the two people who did ask me about it seemed more interested than anything.

I hope that future OCing in this area produces similar results.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Juice wrote:
I'm in Elk Grove and I OCd for the first time tonight. A short trip to Blockbuster and Bel Air.

I hope that future OCing in this area produces similar results.

Welcome to the fold, Juice- This seems to be a pretty typical experience, even in anti-gun California. Some may notice, some may look and ask questions- but most people mind their own business and assume that if youre carrying that you must know what youre doing and that youre 'legal'.

For curiosities sake, how did you come to find OCDO and what made you make the leap to OC last night?

Juice

imported post

I've been lurking here for about a month and after reading about others OCing in California, I decided to try it myself. The LE around here is generally easy to deal with (at least in my experiences with them), so I figured that if I was approached, it would be a positive encounter. I decided that a small errand run would be a good place to start since I wouldn't be in close proximity to too many people.

The main reason I hadn't done it before is that I never really bothered to look into the specific laws regarding carrying, so I didn't carry. It wasn't until I found this site that it sparked my interest about OC.

I actually found this site by accident. If I remember correctly, I was doing a Google search for some emoticons to use on the website that I run and one of the image results was linked here. After further investigation, I found out what this site was and started reading the various stories about OC in California.

Kind of a random way to find this site, but I'm glad I did. There looks to be a lot of useful information here.

Juice

imported post

I'd be up for a small group event here in Sac. Maybe just a dinner get together or something of the like. I would think of it as more of a meet and greet than a demonstration.

My motive for OC is to show that it is not a big deal, so making a big deal out of it wouldn't really be what I would want to do.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Juice wrote:
I'd be up for a small group event here in Sac. Maybe just a dinner get together or something of the like. I would think of it as more of a meet and greet than a demonstration.

My motive for OC is to show that it is not a big deal, so making a big deal out of it wouldn't really be what I would want to do.
I admire this, but I think that there's nothing wrong with raising public awareness, such as by 'demonstrating.' However, with as few people as we have doing this in CA I don't think we could even get a demonstration together.

A nice dinner meet'n'greet would be nice.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

rue wrote:
Hi,

I'm new here but I post at Calguns, I'd like to OC in Sac city too so I called the Sac pd today and got a bunch of BS,

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1094860#post1094860

Anyone know if 10231 applys for someone OCing in the city?

I think you mean 12031. This criminalizes loaded firearms in incorporated areas like city limits and other places where discharge is prohibited. It does not criminalize unloaded firearms.

The reaction that you got from Sac PD is typical. They are not attorneys and do not practice law and are not the best authority to get good information from. They can tell you lies in order to modify your behavior- they have no obligation to give you accurate information. If you are not sure, you should read the law and come to your own conclusions or better yet, seek out an attorney who can be honest with you.

Bottom line is yes, 12031 applies to anyone OCing in any incorporated city or disharge prohibited areas. However, since it does not regulate unloaded weapons, there is no violation to open carry of your unloaded firearm---There are other codes that affect simply possessing a firearm like 171b, 626.9, et al.

cato

imported post

12031 applies in all "incorporated" cities and "prohibited areas of unincorporated territory". A "prohibited" area is any area where discharge of a firearm is prohibited by law.

There aresome brochures floating around the board here for your info.

rue

imported post

but it doesn't matter because it will be unloaded correct?

Also where can I find info on the other PC codes that are relevent?