• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Big Reno Gun Show

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hey folks! Who'splanning on attending the Big Reno Show coming up March 28-30 at the Grand Sierra Resort? http://bigrenoshow.com/

Reading the show rules (http://www.bigrenoshow.com/showrulescontact.php) it seems that OC is good to go, as long as it's empty and zip-tied. Standard gun show rules and same deal we had in VA, no biggie there. (Carry a recorder, extra mag and a cutter!)

http://www.bigrenoshow.com/showrulescontact.php
5. No loaded firearms, magazines or clips are permitted and all cartridge firearms, except those attached to a display, must be tied with zip ties so as render them inoperable.http://www.bigrenoshow.com/showrulescontact.php

I propose we all meet up for the show and head out afterwards for an OCDO meet-up and lunch! Family and friends are highly encouraged to attend! I imagine Saturday would be best for most.As I'm new here, any locals have suggestions for where to eat?

Maybe a shoot afterwards?Lemmon Valley (4WD required)? Any other ideas?

The only thing that might interfere with my attending on a certain day is my step-daughter is comingto visitfor Spring Break and we don't yet know which day she's coming, or which week, for that matter!If I can get my liberty card from the Admiral,I'll certainly be there and OPEN CARRYING!

reefteach

imported post

As metioned, I will be in town for that, and would love to meet up for some food or shooting. I will be visiting my Uncle who is pro 2A and just escaped from kalifornia. He would love an eye opening event like that. I'll let you local guys plan it, and I'll show up.

Rains

imported post

Im all good to go for an OC meet up and a gun show. How better to spend the day?

Hopefully by then Ill have my grubby meat hooks on my new Springfield XD9, and perhaps a carbine of some sort.

Rains

imported post

The Chef's Buffet at the El Dorado is probably the best place for a group of people to eat. I believe its $19.95 per person, but Im not sure. Ill see if I can get some comp'ed dinners there from some people I know who work there ;). If I can get a few, anyone have any objections?

The Grand Sierra also has a good buffet. At least it did when it was the Hilton :p

Lemmon Valley road up to the go-kart track is cool, but after that it gets really crazy, since melting snow washed some nice deep trenches at various places on the way up to the shooting spot.

njeske

imported post

i go to the Big Reno Show almost every time it's here. it's usually wall to wall people, but the big ammo vendor there has about the prices you'll get on quality reloaded ammo. i need to get some .45 and .223 this time out.

There's great shooting out here in Cold Springs valley too. :)

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I usually go to the show.I wasn't planning on going this time, but it sounds like it could be fun especially if we all met up. Not sure if I'll go or not.

I'veopen carriedin the GSR quite a few times. The gun show loaded gunrule is annoying.As far asI know that only applies withinthe gun show itself but they may have adopted special rules for the gun show days.Inever even thought of it last time I went to the BigReno Showsince last time I went Iwas too young to carry.

Currently I don't have much funds or ammunition to bring to shoot. (Except .22s) I'm actually in Cold Springs too. (Its 17 miles from my house to GSR. I drive right past it almost every day).

njeske

imported post

turns out i'm going to be visiting my parents this coming weekend. i'll have to disarm at the border on my way to Sacramento... oh well. it has to happen from time to time.

Rains

imported post

Shooting up behind Cold Springs is nice, except for the fact that after you go about a mile from the end of the Cold Springs 2000 Development, youre 100% California Felon, although I doubt they care much.

Also, Ive got like 60 or 80 rounds of 5.56 if youre interested njeske. Had them with my Bushmaster but returned it since it rattled like a can full 'o nails.

Got my new Springfield XD9. I like it 400 times more than the Ruger already and I havent even shot it. Looking forward to a weekend out shooting with anyone interested, before or after the gun show!

Anyway, anyone decide where they might wanna eat? Im leaning towards a nice and simple buffet lunch at the GSR, that way we dont have to do too much running around.

njeske

imported post

You just have to be careful which direction you go out in Cold Springs. If you go straight North from the Woodland Village development you stay in NV. Just don't cross the mountain ridge 1/2 mile to the west West and you're fine. There are several shooting lanes setup out there that are fully in NV. I've confirmed with maps and Washoe Sheriff that those lanes are in NV.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OK, we're getting close, any consensus on when to meet? Where? Lunch? Looks like my wife is working Sunday so that's the better day for me actually.

Rains

imported post

Im up for almost whenever. I have dinner with my parents this Sunday around 6pm for my birthday. Oh yeah, 22 on April 1st. I feel a year older already ;)

Im up for anything either Friday(after 11am)/Saturday/Sunday. Ill probably go check it out on Friday afternoon, and maybe look around the GSR for a good place to eat, get some prices, etc.

So, if youre good to go Sunday Bob, I guess Ill cast my vote for Sunday. Any other objections to Sunday? Perhaps meet around 9 in the GSR parking lot somewhere, ziptie our weapons per the gun show rules (I can bring zipties and a few cutters), grab a bite and then go see some neat toys?

-Rains

PS. My zipties are just long enough to get through my Springfield XD9 Service Model, so I think they will be good to go even for the larger autos if anyone is packing those.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

They should have a barrel with sand for clearing your weapon and zip ties at a table near the entrance, if it's like other gun shows I've been to.

njeske

imported post

BobCav wrote:
They should have a barrel with sand for clearing your weapon and zip ties at a table near the entrance, if it's like other gun shows I've been to.

i've never seen a barrel with sand, but they do have a table at the base of the escalator where they check weapons and have zip ties. you're supposed to already be unloaded before you get to that table. then they just check it and tie it.

i'll probably be checking out the show tomorrow morning when it opens. i'll be gone the rest of the weekend for the El Dorado Passport Weekend. :)

Rains

imported post

Aye, the Gun show rules do say 'No loaded firearms, magazines, or clips', which is why Im probably going to ziptie in the lot and pocket my clip. I mean, if they wanted to be picky, they would have you unload the gun to ziptie it, and then make you unload the magazine, but then you would have to dispose of the bullets since youre in violation of the 'no loose ammo' snippet :p I know I overthought that by about a mile or two, but hey...hope for the best plan for the worst, right?

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Clip? You mean magazine! lol... The loose ammo snippet is only speaking to ammo to be displayed or sold. No rule against having loose ammo in your pocket. I'll have a copy of the rules with me when I show up!

6. The following items are not to be displayed or sold: A. Loose ammunition, except for unserviceable, collector type, tracer ammunition, pyrotechnics, explosive ordnance, switch blade knives, or destructive devices B. Parts designed to convert a semiautomatic firearm to fully automatic fire C. Books posters, clothing, sound or visual media which describes the fabrication of any device which, if possessed, would constitute a felony under the laws of the United States, the state, or the municipality where the show is being held
DAMN, I wish I had a "GUNS SAVE LIVES" button so you folks would know me! Never got one when I was in VA at the VCDL meetings.