• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Big Reno Gun Show

wayneco

imported post

Howdy,

I found the opencarry site this week, been reading up on various threads the last few days and have been impressed with the quality of conversation.

I'm staying in the Grand Sierra for the gun show this week and weekend. Did you collectively pick a time to meet? I'd like to meet up with you if so.

Wayne

Rains

imported post

Im still all good for Sunday. I went by yesterday and got a 14$ weekend pass, and 1000 rounds of 9mm, and another 16rd for my XD9

Went out and shot my new XD9 for the first time. About 300 rounds, only 2 FTE's on rapid fire drills, so Id say its pretty nice so far.

Ill probably be down there today sometime, so give me a call (You have my # in a PM, Wayne) if youre going to be there!

reefteach

imported post

I was there Friday afternoon. I was looking for a good "claw" style mount for my CETME. Nobody had one. Nobody had surplus 7.62 NATO either. I did get deal on a 30round mag for my CETME at $36.00 . I also bought a tacticool rifle sling for $11.00 . I saw LOTS of good .44 revolvers that were tempting, but the red tape of an interstate handgun sale made it less appealing.

I also won $3 on a horse race, and $60 on blackjack whileI was in town.

I liked the seafood restaurant in the Peppermill. I also enjoyed an In-N-Out burger.

I liked visiting the Cabela's gun library also.

The best part of the visit was the lack of all of those rediculous gun-buster signs that are posted all over Ohio's private businesses. What an eyesore when I came back home.:(

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

reefteach wrote:
The best part of the visit was the lack of all of those rediculous gun-buster signs that are posted all over Ohio's private businesses. What an eyesore when I came back home.:(
Glad you enjoyed yourself. I chuckled at this comment, because just today I was talking to my wife about the only "no weapons" sign at a commercial establishment I've seen in Vegas, and how astonished I was to see it --- I actually became a little confused and returned to my car twice before going in, debating to myself whether to CC, or leave it in the car and hope no one steals it.

The sign read, "For homeland security reasons, weapons are not permitted in this facility to help stop terrorism."

If ONLY the cockpit of those planes had a sign stating that running into buildings was not permitted...maybe those terrorists would have turned back?

How in the world that sign makes anyone feel safe is beyond me....I'll never understand sheeple.

Tim

Marco

imported post

timf343 wrote:
just today I was talkingabout the only "no weapons" sign at a commercial establishment I've seen in Vegas,

Walmart and Block Buster Video both had signs posted in 95, when shall issue became law of the land.
They came to their senses and took them down withinweeks.

"No carry for Homeland security concerns."How stupid!!!!!

Thereare DR's offices that are posted, "Southwest Cancer Clinics" comes to mind.
The posting is on their 3730 So. Eastern Ave office, not sure of their other locations.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rains wrote:
The only way I could see that sign being logical is to re-write it so say:

For homeland security reasons, weapons are encouraged on the property. ;)
It makes sense when completed too.

...weapons are encouraged....to help stop terrorism.

CowboyKen

imported post

timf343 wrote:
...I chuckled at this comment, because just today I was talking to my wife about the only "no weapons" sign at a commercial establishment I've seen in Vegas...
The sign read, "For homeland security reasons, weapons are not permitted in this facility to help stop terrorism."

OK Tim, I'll bite,whatwonderful local "commercial establishment"has this sign posted?

Ken

CowboyKen

imported post

This must be new, the last timeI was in Sams Town was December and I saw no such sign. Or maybe I just wasn't looking. I will look next time.

Ken

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hola. It was freaking HUGE! I met up wth Rains who brought his dad, but we didn't meet anyone else. OC'ed the whole time and had to not only have a zip tie, but a tag on the gun showing it was mine. Had 4 people ask me if I was selling it!

I wasn't in the market for anything but saw some really beautiful guns there. Not as much surplus stuff as the NOVA shows, but a LOT of lever actions and some GORGEOUS antiques! Saw an engraved Colt Relvolver from 18-something that certified from Colt and was selling for $45k and change.... very nice!

That show was easily double the size of the bigger shows in NOVA! One thing that I noticed was there were a LOT of tables with signs that they would only sell to FFL holders...including C&R's. A few guys I spoke to about that said it was becauseit's more of a"California Gun Show" as theyget a LOT of folks from CA trying to buy things they shouldn't. One gent claimed to have refunded some $14K to a guy that was an inelligible CA resident. Oh well!

I wish we could have all met for lunch somewhere. Soon, as we leave Reno in 6 weeks for who knows where!

CowboyKen

imported post

timf343 wrote:
CowboyKen wrote:
This must be new, the last timeI was in Sams Town was December and I saw no such sign. Or maybe I just wasn't looking. I will look next time.

Ken
Don't recall it at the normal entrances, only in the parking garage.

I was there for the Sheplers NFR tent sale. I parked in the garage next to the tent. I also went inside to see what they had in the regular store and to buy my 2007 NFR belt buckle (I had a discount coupon).

Ken

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BobCav wrote:
I wish we could have all met for lunch somewhere. Soon, as we leave Reno in 6 weeks for who knows where!
Hopefully nowhere you'd be considered a criminal for your guns (or dare I say your THOUGHTS and OPINIONS). If you need a storage place (for your safety I hope it doesn't come to that!!), you can check out Front Sight in Pahrump, and there's a good gun locker storage place here in Vegas by the airport. Can't remember the name, but it's in the same strip mall at PT's Gold on Sunset Rd.

By the way, that PT's has a patio facing the runway, where you can enjoy one of their delicious burgers and an ice-cold beer while watching planes take off and land and they have never questioned me OC'ing.

Would still like to meet you some day, best of luck whereever you and your wife land!

Tim