• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting at an Apartment Complex in Va. Beach

DocDaddy

imported post

This just occured last night here in the Tidewater area.A couple of guys here at work live there, they were the lucky ones that didn't get hurt.

Civilians will cry out "ban guns" over this incident, but we as citizens know that if people were carrying/owned, something could have been done to prevent some of this tradgedy. JMO

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/03/gunmans-rampage-leaves-3-dead-3-wounded-beach

DocV

imported post

We're currently underway, but 6 of my Sailors live there. Just got an e-mail from my spouse about the reverse 911 call the VB police put out advising residents to stay indoors. (We live near there). She locked up then locked and loaded. ;)

DocV

DocDaddy

imported post

That is good she is safe! My buddy (also w/ CCW) was out shopping at the time, but his Mom and son were at the apt complex when it went down. They weren't able to leave and he wasn't able to get back in untill almost 1am. He told his Momto do the same thing as your wife did, Lock up and Load up!

Stay safe out there on the ship DocV!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I couldn't help it -- I commented. And it is awaiting "staff approval". I'm betting I don't get staff approval:

We know that the vast majority of gun crime is committed by gang members. So let's round them up and execute all current gang members. We will then pass a law that gang membership is a non-appealable capital crime. That will get rid of over 50% of all violent crime, firearm related and otherwise. We also have the issue that illegals murder/kill 8-10,000 Americans a year. And drugs come in the same way illegals do. We need to get rid of the drugs. Not this fake drug war, but really get rid of them. So we will put the military on both borders and anyone illegally crossing the border INTO the US will be shot on sight (we're a free country and anyone who wants to can leave but coming in is invitation only - it's called sovereignty). And then we make selling drugs a capital offense too. Sell drugs, meet the hangman. Now that will get rid of about 95% of our violent crime. Then we pass a law that the sentence for anyone committing armed robbery, rape, home invasion or battery goes to jail for life with no parole. I bet that brings our homicide rates and other violent crimes to below almost any place else in the world. Then I think the streets would be safe enough that except for sporting and hunting purposes we wouldn't need guns.

But wait! We can't do that! Why not? Because gang members and muggers and drug dealers and rapists all have constitutional rights, and rightfully so as it prevents tyranny. It prevents executions in the streets. It ensures due process for not only citizens, but anyone on our soil. Oh, come to think of it, I also have constitutional rights. I have the right to keep and bear arms. So until you bleeding hearts are ready to eliminate crime by eliminating those responsible for crime in this country by usurping their constitutional rights in the name of public safety and the common good, I'll ask you to stop trying to usurp my constitutional rights for the same reasons and keep your grubby, sheepish hooves off my pistol.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I have been saying for years that belonging to a gang should be a felony punishable by death. It would reduce crime almost overnight...as would other measures I would introduce if I had any power to do so (such as cleaning out the prisons). But that will never happen in this "democracy" nor with all the liberal politicians and all the cluless/naive/ignorant/ masses who vote for them...they'd never agree to such decisive and effective policies.

Still, if the opportunity ever came in this country to "get tough on cime" in a serious way instead of empty BS political rhetoric -- as per the meaningless and absolutely ineffective "War on Crime" we've been "waging" for decades now -- it might happen. A REAL "War on Crime" definitely would get results.

Or, maybe it'd just have to wait for the "new state" and the reformation of all the laws in general that would take place.

-- John D.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
I have been saying for years that belonging to a gang should be a felony punishable by death.
Some things ought not be desired or wished for. One must remember where the legislative definition of gang will come from and how current laws are many times inappropriately applied to other wise innocent parties.
This is a dangerous proposition especially considering how the government enjoys classifying people who share common ideals into groups or gangs have you. What would prevent an OCDO lunch or dinner group from being classified as a gang for example. We all know how vague much of the laws are; almost as if it was intentional.
Many if not most ‘gangs’ started as a means to provide ample protection against oppressive forces. Our own history of expelling oppression from the crowns rule comes to mind here. The mere presence of a gang or the association there in is not nor should not be a crime however criminal actions of an individual should not be over looked.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

You have a good point -- as the government could declare "American patriots"to be actually"domestic terrorists" -- but you have to start somewhere.

Most people know what is meant here by gangs: Low-life/street-trash/no-reason-to-be-breathing criminals...even thoughTHAT word could be redefined, too. Like they have redefined "vigilante" into something negative (it isn't). ButANY term can be redefined so you can't let that stop you from action.And besides,if it got tothat extreme situation, it's time for aREAL change in governmentI'd say. Civil War II or Culture War I...a shooting war. Fixing thingswith extreme prejudice.

But just let "We the People" handle crime themselves, directly and immediately, and things would improve overnight...along with mass deportations of certain groups of people which in itself -- since they'd be gone -- would also reduce crime overnight.

It really can be done but some serious house-cleaning would be in order, whichwould not be for the squeamish (by that I mean most people so it'll probably never happen).

-- John D.