Thread: Adult vs "kid" terminology in the press

Post imported post

http://tinyurl.com/2d2qnd[/b]

When someone whois 18 and older does something that is illegal they are considered adults, yet when they are innocent victims they are "kids" even if they are as old as 22/23...(see VT massacre). I just find it a fascinating difference in the use of the terminology. Guess you use it to your advantage in the press to further your cause via any means necissary.....

These incidents were recently reported by Manassas police. For more information, call 703-257-8000.

ASSAULTS[/b]

MAIN STREET AND WOOD DRIFT CIRCLE, Feb. 29. Six teenagers allegedly assaulted a male teenager as part of a gang initiation. The teenager reported that he joined the gang for protection after his residence was burglarized and two guns were stolen. Five juveniles, ages 14 to 17, and an 18-year-old Manassas man were arrested and charged with gang participation, assault by mob, gang activity in a school zone and recruitment of a juvenile for a criminal street gang. During the police investigation, it was determined that the assaulted teenager had allegedly been soliciting gang members to kill his father, and the burglary had been planned. Two 16-year-olds and a 17-year-old were arrested. Two were charged with solicitation/conspiracy to commit murder, and one was charged with conspiracy to commit burglary.

Post imported post

In one of John Lott's books (either "More guns, Less crime" or "The Bias Against Guns"

He brought up the point that the anti-gunners consider everyone up to 25 to be children, so they can say a lot more "kids" are killed by guns than reality.

Post imported post

I understand that as a parent, your adult children are still your kids - that concept I get. Labeling them as such in the press though is really tainting the issue, that's what I have heartburn about. Not that what I think matters to the press or anti-gunners, lol.

Post imported post

I feel that many will use the term "kid" when you are talking about a young adult killed too early in lifemaybe still intheir early to mid 20's.Someonejust getting out of the nest.