• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brady = Tax Deductible? Why not NRA, etc?

ufcfanvt

imported post

Here is one of their email alerts:
Key Phrase at bottom: "But first, please make a generous tax-deductible contribution to the Brady Center: http://www.bradynetwork.org/site/R? "

----- Forwarded message from Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence <advocacy@stopthenra.com> -----
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:50:42 -0500 (CDT)
From: Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence <advocacy@stopthenra.com>
Reply-To: Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence <advocacy@stopthenra.com>
Subject: Inside the Supreme Court: The Future of America's Gun Laws, Help Now
To: xxx@xxx.com

Click the following link if you would like to view your email with text and graphics: http://www.bradynetwork.org/site/R?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. SUPREME COURT HEARS ARGUMENTS IN DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA V. HELLER
The Most Significant Second Amendment Case in the Nation's History

Dear Sir_What's_My_Name,

As I watched the presentations to the U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday, I was constantly aware how critically, and immediately, the Justices' decision will impact gun laws that protect you and your family today, and in the future . . .

. . . from the Brady background check law and the federal machine gun ban to strong state gun laws in California, New York, Illinois, and many others.

Please help us defend these laws by making as generous a contribution as you can today to the Brady Gun Law Defense Fund.

DONATE TO THE BRADY GUN LAW DEFENSE FUND
Act Now to Help Defend America's Gun Laws
http://www.bradynetwork.org/site/R?

As the Court deliberates over the next few months, your support is critical. We need to be prepared for the outcome, whatever that might be. This is no time to play wait-and-see.

A lot of politicians, and many citizens, think the Second Amendment limits our ability to enact common sense gun restrictions. This position got a lot of attention in Tuesday's arguments.

However, it was clear to me from both questions and answers at the Supreme Court hearing that there is broad support from all sides for responsible regulation concerning guns. We need to stress this position to the American public before and after the decision is made in late June.

We are hopeful that the Justices' ruling will uphold the right of people in communities like the District of Columbia to enact sensible gun laws they feel are needed to protect themselves and their families.

Even if the District's ordinance is struck down, and regardless of how the Justices rule on the individual's "right" to bear arms, their questioning clearly acknowledged the importance of and the need for reasonable regulations on guns.

One thing is certain -- we have the support of many Americans like you on our side. In a recent Washington Post poll, a solid majority of Americans indicated they would support a law for their communities similar to the one in question in the Supreme Court case.

While I was in the courtroom, Brady staff and activists were on the steps of the U.S. Supreme Court carrying signs and speaking to the media. They were joined and cheered on by passers-by -- school children, government workers, and tourists.

We will not wait for the Justices' ruling in this case. We are, and will continue to be, on the offensive. Our voices -- your voices -- are making a difference!

DONATE TO THE BRADY GUN LAW DEFENSE FUND
Act Now to Help Defend America's Gun Laws

Now is the time to contribute to the Brady Center as we get ready during the next few months for all the vital next steps that will follow the Court's historic decision.

Please give generously today.

Sincerely,
Paul Helmke, President
Brady Center and Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

P.S. See my remarks on the steps of the U.S. Supreme Court following the oral argument:
http://www.bradynetwork.org/site/?

But first, please make a generous tax-deductible contribution to the Brady Center:

You can also mail a check to:
The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence
1225 Eye Street NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005

MetalChris

imported post

The Brady Bunch wrote:
We are hopeful that the Justices' ruling will uphold the right of people in communities like the District of Columbia to enact sensible gun laws they feel are needed to protect themselves and their families.

Snip
Since when have laws protected anything? Especially laws that prohibit you from protecting yourself? :banghead::banghead:

/continues to beat dead horse

BillMCyrus

imported post

The Bradys are in blatant violation of the tax exempt requirements which state that they must be politically neutral, not in any way endorsing a single candidate or law at any time. If any person believes they are anything even slightly resembling politically neutral I sincerely question how such person made it past the 1st grade.

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
imported post

A lot of politicians, and many citizens, think the Second Amendment limits our ability to enact common sense gun restrictions. This position got a lot of attention in Tuesday's arguments.

I guess I shouldn't have slept so much in history class. I thought the purpose of the bill of rights WAS to prevent the government from passing laws that restrict our rights...

because NOT having a gunDEFINITELY helps protect your family from MR. BG that DOES have a gun.

and regardless of how the Justices rule on the individual's "right" to bear arms

Isn't it lovely how our clearly stated "rights" are ok to be infringed on by others "rights" that are never mentioned. I don't remember seeing an Amendment that said

"A wellregulated society being necessary to the security of a free herd of sheeple, the right of the sheep to not feel scared, threatened, or violated by seeing my big MFing gun, shall not be infringed.

Sheldon

imported post

It has been brought up before about the MM's, Bradey's and their likes have tax exempt status and why and in a few cases they have been taken to task on this.

NRA you get a magazine for your membership so you at least get something for your donation with the anti's all you get is Lies!

ufcfanvt

imported post

Sheldon wrote:
It has been brought up before about the MM's, Bradey's and their likes have tax exempt status and why and in a few cases they have been taken to task on this.
Any conclusions come out of this? I dread looking through the tax code myself :what:

WhiteFeather

imported post

Becuase the NRA is a Corperation, they are a for profit company. They make lots and lots of money and distribute it totheir employees, some of whom take home more than they need.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
Becuase the NRA is a Corperation, they are a for profit company. They make lots and lots of money and distribute it totheir employees, some of whom take home more than they need.

Your question actually has 2 answers.

First, the Brady Bunch violates the spirit of the tax code frequently and needs to be taken to task for it.

Second, there are a number of benefits to be had by not being bound by the requirements of tax-exempt status.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Indeed, as there are many benefits to not being bound by restrictive by-laws or a restrictive statement of 'mission, vision and values.'

This is precisely my complaint with the NRA, it and they argue that the end justifies the means just as did Adolph Shickelgruber - to put a fine blunt point on it.

The 'means' being their political practices.

Sheldon

imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
Any conclusions come out of this? I dread looking through the tax code myself :what:
Unfortunately Nothing too definitive the last thing I ever read was in one of my American Rifleman Magazines and that was over 2 years ago, at that point some grass roots group was raising heck with the IRS about them.

lax

imported post

http://www.bradycampaign.org/about/

The Brady Campaign, and it network of Million Mom March Chapters, are political organizations dedicated to passing sensible gun control legislation, so contributions to the Campaign or the Chapters are not tax deductible either as charitable contributions or business expenses.

Donations to the Brady Center, which is a 501(c)3 educational organization, are tax-deductible as allowed by law.