• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing with my son on his 18th birthday

lax

imported post

I guess you could call it a "right-of-passage" thing. I'm thinking of OC'ing with my son on his 18th birthday. We've been to the NRA range numerous times over the past couple of years and also took the Front Sight 4 day handgun course last Fall. He's safe andresponsible and isplanning a career in the Marines after NROTC at VMI so I think this would be a big deal to him.

The problem is my wife. She is concerned there might be arun-inwith the police that could cause problems for himin the future. I OC on occassion and haven't had a problem with the police. Since he's 18, I guess there could be an incident.

Is OC'ing with my sona just stupid idea and not worth the risk of trouble with the police?

Evil Ernie

imported post

Couple of factors to consider: Is he a babyface? Or could he easily pass for a youthful 25-30 yr old? Also, what are you planning on doing and where will you be doing it?
I think it's a really cool idea! I still have two more years before my oldest son will be "eligible" to OC, so you bringing this topic up kinda gives me a few ideas. Prospecting, camping, etc. We can safely OC and not have the hassle factor.

glockrocker

imported post

That sounds like a pretty awesome idea, I wish my father did that with me when I turned 18.

As far as police issues go, I think just the presence of someone who's older and more mature looking would probably diffuse whatever situation might arise. Besides, the sheeple might just assume it's a veteran cop/rookie cop sort of thing that you guys are doing ;)

lax

imported post

I was thinking of just going out for lunch or dinner somewhere. I'm just trying to balance risk and reward in my own mind. It makes me a bit sick that Iview this as a potentially risky situation because of the possible phobic reactions of others.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would think that you being together would be a deterrence to officer interaction. Even if an LEO stopped and questioned you, I would think the fact that you are his father and it is his 18th birthday is going to reduce the likelihood of a problem as well. Also, you aren't going to be breaking any laws to go on his record and hurt him later. You may be a little more obliging than at other times if you are asked for ID or something for no reason just to diffuse the situation quickly, but it sounds like a cool father/son type thing.

One thing we studied in psychology was the impact of a lack of "passage to adulthood" for most of western society. Except for being able to order an alcoholic drink at 21, there just really aren't any special passages to manhood so to speak in most of our society. This isn't the place to discuss the theoretical ramifications of that, but suffice it to say, that OCing for the first time with his dad on his 18th birthday will likely be a very special event and something he will always remember with affection.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

lax wrote:
I guess you could call it a "right-of-passage" thing. I'm thinking of OC'ing with my son on his 18th birthday. We've been to the NRA range numerous times over the past couple of years and also took the Front Sight 4 day handgun course last Fall. He's safe andresponsible and isplanning a career in the Marines after NROTC at VMI so I think this would be a big deal to him.

The problem is my wife. She is concerned there might be arun-inwith the police that could cause problems for himin the future. I OC on occassion and haven't had a problem with the police. Since he's 18, I guess there could be an incident.

Is OC'ing with my sona just stupid idea and not worth the risk of trouble with the police?
You go right ahead and show him what his rights are. :celebrate.

nitrovic

imported post

glockrocker wrote:
That sounds like a pretty awesome idea, I wish my father did that with me when I turned 18.

As far as police issues go, I think just the presence of someone who's older and more mature looking would probably diffuse whatever situation might arise. Besides, the sheeple might just assume it's a veteran cop/rookie cop sort of thing that you guys are doing ;)
No doubt. My old man used to take me shooting but I never thought of this. In about 15 years I think I'm going to do the same with my boy. Good idea!!:celebrate

PT111

imported post

My personal opinion is that the 18th birthday is a call for something special. To me OC is something that should be natural without any thought or concern. CC the same way, act like you been there before. To make a big deal out of it implies that there is something naughty with it or your are getting away with something and I know there are many here that feel that very way about carrying.

I just grew up around guns and have never given it a second thought one way or the other. My grandfather always carried a pistol in his pocketuntil he died in 1964and no one ever gave it a second thought. I did cherish the time he took me hunting or fishing, just the two of us, or even trips to the store with him.

I realize that it may be a big deal to some but considering that OC is an everyday thing that is nothing special I would find something special to do. Go hunting or go buy him a new gun but I wouldn't say for your 18th birthday we are going to walk around and taunt the cops.

jbowers24

imported post

To avoid doing so for fear of public reactionsounds like sending the wrong message to your son. It would be like saying, "I'm afraid to use my right to vote for fear that my neighbors might find out who I voted for."

I think you've got a great idea and you should stick to it, to do otherwise would beakin to teachinghim that public opinion was more importantthan his own rights. This is a lesson that reaches beyond firearms.

Manka Cat

imported post

I don't completely understand. You open carry right? He's legal at 18 right? If he wants to OC, I can't think of a better father/son moment. Encourage him to do it on his own if/when its legal. I just turned 21, (which means I can buy a hand gun in Wyoming), and promptly stuck it on my hip and haven't looked back. I haven't had any cop interference, and I look pretty young, especially clean shaven. I get IDed for cigarettes while packing. I can't imagine fear of attention due to my age being a deterrent though....

Teach him safety, and his rights. Encourage him to exercise them. Since it's his 18th, OC while you get him registered for the draft and to vote. (Just don't carry in the post office or court house.) Then find an easy environment to OC publicly in, (fast food restaurant, wal-mart, etc), and then take him shooting. Sounds like a pretty awesome birthday to me.

Hope you guys have a great time. Good luck.