• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Va Beach Aquarium...any past issues

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Have there been any issues at the VA Beach Aquarium?
I'll be going with the family in the near future.

Bullbuster

imported post

I'd be carefull OCing at the VBA. I say that as I am a volunteer there as a member of the dive Team. I asked about that and was told while its legal they didn't approve of it due to the ammount of kids that visit. I have also been told that for paid employees and volunteers its against VBA regulations.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
I'd be carefull OCing at the VBA. I say that as I am a volunteer there as a member of the dive Team. I asked about that and was told while its legal they didn't approve of it due to the ammount of kids that visit. I have also been told that for paid employees and volunteers its against VBA regulations.

I wonder why they always bring the children into the picture?

Do we regularly fire into crowds of children? NO !

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
I(t) ain't gonna kill me to not carry there.
Until it does....

'It's for the kids' own good that we go out of our way to ensure that they are easy targets. Get out of here with the tools that might actually protect them, you bad man trying to do good.'

I get just a little 'icky' when people willingly give up their rights, responsibilities, etc... But when the same paragraph shows that it does the same to children... I wonder how so many people still can't think rationally about the matter when all the facts are right there in their face....

I'm a Dad, I think about these things. I wonder how those who prefer politics and propaganda to their childresn' safety can keep a straight face while calling themselves 'parents.'

Daddy packs heat because his kids deserve better than to hope the Bad Guy is feeling nice and passes them over.

[/rant]

Bullbuster

imported post

I can see if I worked at one of the sales counters or any of the other positions thats face to face I may wanna carry. However given my volunteer position its rather impractical for me to carry. What use would I have behind 5" of acrylic and in 10' of water. I could to and from if allowed but then I don't have a place to lock my things up while I'm diving. They have a major construction project going on and when behind the scenes I'm right in the middle of it. I'd hate to have my piece walk away. I'll be there Monday again and well again inquire as to carry regs for both employees and visitors. Wouldn't mind seeing it in black and white.

Marco

imported post

Don't ask about their regs.
Instead ask for a employee/volunteer manual/handbook.
Hopefully their policy is in their.

Are there any gun buster signs?
Is the aquarium private property or publicly funded?

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915
§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in § 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.

(1987, c. 629, § 15.1-29.15; 1988, c. 392; 1997, cc. 550, 587; 2002, c. 484; 2003, c. 943; 2004, cc. 837, 923.)

I would much rather visit an Aquarium in VA then travel to Baltimore even though it would be closer.

EDIT:
I didn't notice anythingabout firearms or weapons on their website.
http://www.vmsm.com/

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Don't ask about their regs.
I concur. Merely asking about a 'gun policy' is a 'red flag' in the minds of the antis.

It implies that you might doubt the unspoken edict that all who question are wackos. In their minds anyway.....

If you like being there enough to forgo your weapon, then it would seem counter-productive to ask and still be 'fired' for daring to approach the throne with such an outrageous query....

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well the little one, the wife, and I went and had no issues at all. My daughter had a blast and it made her good and tired for the 3 hour ride home. This was her first outing of this type and she didn't want to leave the seals!! My wife accented her outfit with her .45 and I held my belt up with a XD. We'll be going back once the construction is finished and to walk the nature trail since the weather was not to cooperative.

Bullbuster

imported post

The new Red Sea exibit aquarium is a walk through tunnel type. Plus they will have several other animal exibits as well. Can't wait to see it once all is said and done.

As for inquireing about the policy I was intending on doing so for the purpose of posting it here.

XD40coyote

imported post

Yeah it's too bad about the Baltimore aquarium, it's a nice one, but blechhhh its in Bodymore. Real asshole cops around the harbor too LOL, don't skateboard there!