• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

States seek funds to create Real ID. The Washington Times National

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080321/NATION/324995692/1002

"If the federal government is going to direct state security practices over traditional state functions such as driver's licenses and identification cards, then the federal government should pay the states' cost of compliance," said the letters signed by Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, the Republican chairman of the NGA, and Pennsylvania Gov. Edward G. Rendell, the Democratic vice chairman.

WhiteFeather

imported post

Why pay for cheap plastic cards when they can tattoo a number on our arm? I mean it is the same thing, right?

Maybe that would be taboo?

Thats ok they days are coming comrades! Mother America will swoop in and protect us from... Herself?

sjhipple

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Do I read that right that Pennsylvania may be on the anti-Real ID bandwagon? Maybe I won't have to move to Montana after all...

SB 1220, a bill stipulating that neither the Governor nor the Department of Transportation or any other Commonwealth agency shall participate in the compliance of any provision of the REAL ID Act of 2005.

HB 1351, relating to the compliance with the federal Real ID Act.

Pennsylvania would be a huge victory because it would be the biggest state yet to opt out. Make sure you call/write your reps and senators and governor about this.

Pointman

imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
Why pay for cheap plastic cards when they can tattoo a number on our arm?
Wouldthe regulation require the ID to remain visible?