Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VCDL : UPS vs UPS Store Policy

Post imported post

Background:

I ship my stuff UPS mostly since I don't have to fill out the address all the time and I get delivery confirmation sent to my email. I was satisfied everytime with my service, but this time it was a different experiece. I headed to the UPS Store to ship a customers upper. They gave me hell saying it's company policy for them not to ship any firearm part (even if it's the trigger guard) at all. I was irate and went home and printed out the ups.com policy on shipping firearms. UPS and UPS Store are two different entities I just found out and UPS Stores are trained not to take firearm parts.

I was thinking that since UPS Store was a child to the parent Company UPS, they would abide by there shipping policies. Is it worth the trouble for VCDL to look into this?

-Carlo

Post imported post

Just print your own labels on-lineand drop it off at the UPS Store. They will never know what is in the package. It is also sometimes cheaper that way too.

Most UPS stores will box anything you bring in even if they will not ship it. You then affix your on-line label and drop it off at the UPS counter or another UPSstore.

The UPS Store CANNOT ship complete "firearms"as this can only be done at the UPS counter. Complete firearms must be shipped via next day air and adult signature required. UPS prohibits the UPS stores from doing this for some reason.

The UPS Store CAN Ship parts!! It seems that the store you went to had their own policy. The store can also refuse to ship anything they want.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    The UPS Store CAN Ship parts!! It seems that the store you went to had their own policy. The store can also refuse to ship anything they want.
    Not the case in my area (Chesapeake) for I've visited 3 UPS Stores and ended up shipping the bushmaster upper via USPS. Like I said, they won't ship any part of a firearm.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I would say if it is not the receiver of a firearm, (which you do have to inform them about), you don't have to tell them what it is. Put down machine parts.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    I would say if it is not the receiver of a firearm, (which you do have to inform them about), you don't have to tell them what it is. Put down machine parts.
    That's what I've always done. I never ask what the policy is. I mark mine glass to keep the bumblers away.

I used to ship a lot of rifle barrels USPS. I had a lot of them damaged. Turns out unless you mark them as fragile, they go on conveyors and sometimes get hung up because of the length.

UPS isn't quite as bad.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    True.... the frame which normally contains the SN is truly the "firearm" even is stripped of parts.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    longwatch wrote:
    True.... the frame which normally contains the SN is truly the "firearm" even is stripped of parts.
    Yup that is the only legally sticky part. The rest of the gun is free to send, however I suspect insurance might be difficult to collect should something happen.

Post imported post

I had to ship my handgun back to the manufacturer because of a faulity part and used the UPS regional center in Chantilly (not the UPS Store). I hadno problem andall the ladyasked was to see what was beingshippedbefore sending it off.The handgun information was on theUPS label and I had it insured for its retail value.

Post imported post

Use the USPO - I will never forget shipping a pre-ban AR-15 to a retired LEO in New York City (through his FFL). I am at the counter and let the guy know that I am shipping a firearm - he asks me to open the package and make sure the weapon is clear and had no ammunition in it.

Mid afternoon, lines of folks waiting, and I take out the AR and he asks me to open the action just to make sure. When I smacked that bolt release you could hear a pin drop - my wife rolled her eyes - we packed it back up and shipped it on it's way.

Not an issue - my LEO friend thanked me since he now has a pistol grip, bayonet lug, and can hang 30-round mags...in NY. Goofy laws...

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    longwatch wrote:
    You might want to use an "Authorized Shipping Outlet" instead of a company store.. On the "location finder" on UPS.COM, you can select to display on ASO's.

The "company stores" are real sticklers on rules, most ASO's(my store included) aren't going to care about "parts"... Go with machine parts..

Shipping insurance is another joke -- If you pack the shipment VERY WELL, it won't be damage, if you don't package it well, it will be damaged and they'll deny the claim for improper packaging (*EVERYTHING* is packaged improperly when it gets to the claims department!!!)..

Post imported post

Renegade wrote:
    Use the USPO - I will never forget shipping a pre-ban AR-15 to a retired LEO in New York City (through his FFL). I am at the counter and let the guy know that I am shipping a firearm - he asks me to open the package and make sure the weapon is clear and had no ammunition in it.

Mid afternoon, lines of folks waiting, and I take out the AR and he asks me to open the action just to make sure. When I smacked that bolt release you could hear a pin drop - my wife rolled her eyes - we packed it back up and shipped it on it's way.

Not an issue - my LEO friend thanked me since he now has a pistol grip, bayonet lug, and can hang 30-round mags...in NY. Goofy laws...
    I don't know why anyone would be nervous. You don't actually work for the PO, do you :^)? Of course the PO is one of the *most* gun infested gun-free zones there is.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Renegade wrote:
    Love it!!

P.S. My wife does the same every time I enter a friendly gun banter with someone who notices me OC

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    I don't know why anyone would be nervous. You don't actually work for the PO, do you :^)? Of course the PO is one of the *most* gun infested gun-free zones there is.
    Do you mean, just by virtue of the fact that they ship so many arms, or you suspect many people illegally conceal while inside?

As I don't use the post office, it doesn't matter much to me, but isn't my firearm alot safer for you and me alike if it's safely secured on my hip (OC or CC) as opposed to being "locked" in the car?

I never understood why people suggested leaving it in the car. You risk turning an unarmed car thief into an armed one. How is that safe?

Of course, the way I understand it, the law says you can't even have it in the car on Post Office property, so I guess it's technically a moot point.

Post imported post

timf343 wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    Do you mean, just by virtue of the fact that they ship so many arms, or you suspect many people illegally conceal while inside?

As I don't use the post office, it doesn't matter much to me, but isn't my firearm alot safer for you and me alike if it's safely secured on my hip (OC or CC) as opposed to being "locked" in the car?

I never understood why people suggested leaving it in the car. You risk turning an unarmed car thief into an armed one. How is that safe?

Of course, the way I understand it, the law says you can't even have it in the car on Post Office property, so I guess it's technically a moot point.
    Naw, I was implying you might be a postal employee who have a reputation for going "postal" :^). I haven't heard of any such cases (employee shooting up a PO) in quite a while but not too long ago it was quite common, thus the phrase "he went postal", "going postal", etc.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Duh. Of course. Overthinking it.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    That's only because they are above citizens and actually get to carry without a license while on-duty and at the post office VA Code 18.2-308 section C-1

Post imported post

Package it at home. Don't tell them what is in it. If for some odd reason you are required to disclose the contents be generic, "machine parts".

Post imported post

One time I was sending my 1911 back to Springfield for some warrenty work.

I took it in to the UPS Store in its green hard case with Springfield Armory written all over it. I showed it to the manager of the UPS Store and asked for a box to put it in.

He helped me pack it and I filled out the address lable.

For the description I put, "Springfield Armory 1911 A1 GI"

The Manager looked at the lable with a puzzled look on his face and asked, "What is this?"

I amswered, "Its a .45 Auto."

As soon as I said that, his face lit up with recognition and he said, "Oh its auto parts."

He wrote that on the lable and off it went.

I didn't send it priority over night, but just normal ground rate. I think it cost about $12.

Go figure.

Post imported post

I had a similar issue come up shipping a shotgun barrel. I simply left the store and went down the road to the local UPS hub & they got it sent off for me without any issues

Post imported post

The stores WANT to ship it since they will make a profit. The problem is that UPS does place limitations on what they can ship.

Same goes for wine.... you are shipping "Vinegar" right??

Post imported post

I just want to make sure people know that shipping firearms parts is not the same thing as a shipping the serialized firearm. You are lawfully required to inform the carrier in writing that you are shipping one.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...2----000-.html

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

Post imported post

Moreover, if you fail to disclose the true character of the item being shipped, you will not prevail in an insurance claim if the package is lost, stolen, or destroyed.

UPS does NOT permit the UPS store, or any other entity that is not a "hub" to accept firearms or ammunition. I don't know whether this also applies to firearm parts or ammunition components. The "parent" UPS did not grant its subordinate contractual authority to perform certain functions. The shipper cannot modify the contract between the parent and subordinate by creating a ruse. The law will not hold that subordinate liable for breach of contract procured by fraud.

Post imported post

UPS hub locations WILL accept firearms and properly-labeled (ORM-D - small arms ammunition) packages.

This holds, notwithstanding the BLATANTLY ERRONEOUS poster you may see on the
    wall at the hub. The poster asserts that ALL ORM-D packages must be shipped by a
    sender who has a pre-existing hazmat shipping contract with UPS.

If the counter-person gives you any grief, please cite them to this document,
    with special attention to the PHONE NUMBER at the bottom. If they give you grief
    at the counter, tell them they must call that number to get the issue straight.

An ordinary citizen with no special credentials CAN ship guns and ammo via UPS
    provided that proper disclosure as to the contents of the package is given.

Also, when shipping firearms, be careful of the "box" rule. They CAN require you
    to ship in a flimsy cardboard box. They adamantly refused to ship a Pelican case
    containing a firearm because it was not a "box." I wasn't able to win that one.

Post imported post

C45P312 wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Not the case in my area (Chesapeake) for I've visited 3 UPS Stores and ended up shipping the bushmaster upper via USPS. Like I said, they won't ship any part of a firearm.
    Try Pak Mail at 801 Volvo Parkway, at the corner of Volvo and Greenbrier. They are right next to the Food Lion. They have helped me pack and ship, and they will let you choose UPS, FEDEX or DHL.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Just ship it via ups.com and schedule a pickup at your home/place of business...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast