• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL : UPS vs UPS Store Policy

C45P312

imported post

Background:

I ship my stuff UPS mostly since I don't have to fill out the address all the time and I get delivery confirmation sent to my email. I was satisfied everytime with my service, but this time it was a different experiece. I headed to the UPS Store to ship a customers upper. They gave me hell saying it's company policy for them not to ship any firearm part (even if it's the trigger guard) at all. I was irate and went home and printed out the ups.com policy on shipping firearms. UPS and UPS Store are two different entities I just found out and UPS Stores are trained not to take firearm parts.

I was thinking that since UPS Store was a child to the parent Company UPS, they would abide by there shipping policies. Is it worth the trouble for VCDL to look into this?

-Carlo

LEO 229

imported post

Just print your own labels on-lineand drop it off at the UPS Store. They will never know what is in the package. It is also sometimes cheaper that way too.

Most UPS stores will box anything you bring in even if they will not ship it. You then affix your on-line label and drop it off at the UPS counter or another UPSstore. :lol:

The UPS Store CANNOT ship complete "firearms"as this can only be done at the UPS counter. Complete firearms must be shipped via next day air and adult signature required. UPS prohibits the UPS stores from doing this for some reason.

The UPS Store CAN Ship parts!! It seems that the store you went to had their own policy. The store can also refuse to ship anything they want.

C45P312

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
The UPS Store CAN Ship parts!! It seems that the store you went to had their own policy. The store can also refuse to ship anything they want.
Not the case in my area (Chesapeake) for I've visited 3 UPS Stores and ended up shipping the bushmaster upper via USPS. Like I said, they won't ship any part of a firearm.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I would say if it is not the receiver of a firearm, (which you do have to inform them about), you don't have to tell them what it is. Put down machine parts.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

longwatch wrote:
I would say if it is not the receiver of a firearm, (which you do have to inform them about), you don't have to tell them what it is. Put down machine parts.
That's what I've always done. I never ask what the policy is. I mark mine glass to keep the bumblers away.

I used to ship a lot of rifle barrels USPS. I had a lot of them damaged. Turns out unless you mark them as fragile, they go on conveyors and sometimes get hung up because of the length.

UPS isn't quite as bad.

LEO 229

imported post

longwatch wrote:
True.... the frame which normally contains the SN is truly the "firearm" even is stripped of parts.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
longwatch wrote:
True.... the frame which normally contains the SN is truly the "firearm" even is stripped of parts.
Yup that is the only legally sticky part. The rest of the gun is free to send, however I suspect insurance might be difficult to collect should something happen.

mlands

imported post

I had to ship my handgun back to the manufacturer because of a faulity part and used the UPS regional center in Chantilly (not the UPS Store). I hadno problem andall the ladyasked was to see what was beingshippedbefore sending it off.The handgun information was on theUPS label and I had it insured for its retail value.

Renegade

imported post

Use the USPO - I will never forget shipping a pre-ban AR-15 to a retired LEO in New York City (through his FFL). I am at the counter and let the guy know that I am shipping a firearm - he asks me to open the package and make sure the weapon is clear and had no ammunition in it.

Mid afternoon, lines of folks waiting, and I take out the AR and he asks me to open the action just to make sure. When I smacked that bolt release you could hear a pin drop - my wife rolled her eyes - we packed it back up and shipped it on it's way.

Not an issue - my LEO friend thanked me since he now has a pistol grip, bayonet lug, and can hang 30-round mags...in NY. Goofy laws...

psmartin

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
longwatch wrote:

You might want to use an "Authorized Shipping Outlet" instead of a company store.. On the "location finder" on UPS.COM, you can select to display on ASO's.

The "company stores" are real sticklers on rules, most ASO's(my store included) aren't going to care about "parts"... Go with machine parts..

Shipping insurance is another joke -- If you pack the shipment VERY WELL, it won't be damage, if you don't package it well, it will be damaged and they'll deny the claim for improper packaging (*EVERYTHING* is packaged improperly when it gets to the claims department!!!)..

Neplusultra

imported post

Renegade wrote:
Use the USPO - I will never forget shipping a pre-ban AR-15 to a retired LEO in New York City (through his FFL). I am at the counter and let the guy know that I am shipping a firearm - he asks me to open the package and make sure the weapon is clear and had no ammunition in it.

Mid afternoon, lines of folks waiting, and I take out the AR and he asks me to open the action just to make sure. When I smacked that bolt release you could hear a pin drop - my wife rolled her eyes - we packed it back up and shipped it on it's way.

Not an issue - my LEO friend thanked me since he now has a pistol grip, bayonet lug, and can hang 30-round mags...in NY. Goofy laws...
I don't know why anyone would be nervous. You don't actually work for the PO, do you :^)? Of course the PO is one of the *most* gun infested gun-free zones there is.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Renegade wrote:
Love it!!

P.S. My wife does the same every time I enter a friendly gun banter with someone who notices me OC

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
I don't know why anyone would be nervous. You don't actually work for the PO, do you :^)? Of course the PO is one of the *most* gun infested gun-free zones there is.
Do you mean, just by virtue of the fact that they ship so many arms, or you suspect many people illegally conceal while inside?

As I don't use the post office, it doesn't matter much to me, but isn't my firearm alot safer for you and me alike if it's safely secured on my hip (OC or CC) as opposed to being "locked" in the car?

I never understood why people suggested leaving it in the car. You risk turning an unarmed car thief into an armed one. How is that safe?

Of course, the way I understand it, the law says you can't even have it in the car on Post Office property, so I guess it's technically a moot point.

Neplusultra

imported post

timf343 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Do you mean, just by virtue of the fact that they ship so many arms, or you suspect many people illegally conceal while inside?

As I don't use the post office, it doesn't matter much to me, but isn't my firearm alot safer for you and me alike if it's safely secured on my hip (OC or CC) as opposed to being "locked" in the car?

I never understood why people suggested leaving it in the car. You risk turning an unarmed car thief into an armed one. How is that safe?

Of course, the way I understand it, the law says you can't even have it in the car on Post Office property, so I guess it's technically a moot point.
Naw, I was implying you might be a postal employee who have a reputation for going "postal" :^). I haven't heard of any such cases (employee shooting up a PO) in quite a while but not too long ago it was quite common, thus the phrase "he went postal", "going postal", etc.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:

That's only because they are above citizens and actually get to carry without a license while on-duty and at the post office VA Code 18.2-308 section C-1

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Package it at home. Don't tell them what is in it. If for some odd reason you are required to disclose the contents be generic, "machine parts".

Sa45auto

imported post

One time I was sending my 1911 back to Springfield for some warrenty work.

I took it in to the UPS Store in its green hard case with Springfield Armory written all over it. I showed it to the manager of the UPS Store and asked for a box to put it in.

He helped me pack it and I filled out the address lable.

For the description I put, "Springfield Armory 1911 A1 GI"

The Manager looked at the lable with a puzzled look on his face and asked, "What is this?"

I amswered, "Its a .45 Auto."

As soon as I said that, his face lit up with recognition and he said, "Oh its auto parts."

He wrote that on the lable and off it went.

I didn't send it priority over night, but just normal ground rate. I think it cost about $12.

Go figure.

FightingGlock19

imported post

I had a similar issue come up shipping a shotgun barrel. I simply left the store and went down the road to the local UPS hub & they got it sent off for me without any issues :cool:

LEO 229

imported post

The stores WANT to ship it since they will make a profit. The problem is that UPS does place limitations on what they can ship.

Same goes for wine.... you are shipping "Vinegar" right??