• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL : UPS vs UPS Store Policy

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I just want to make sure people know that shipping firearms parts is not the same thing as a shipping the serialized firearm. You are lawfully required to inform the carrier in writing that you are shipping one.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

W.E.G.

imported post

Moreover, if you fail to disclose the true character of the item being shipped, you will not prevail in an insurance claim if the package is lost, stolen, or destroyed.

UPS does NOT permit the UPS store, or any other entity that is not a "hub" to accept firearms or ammunition. I don't know whether this also applies to firearm parts or ammunition components. The "parent" UPS did not grant its subordinate contractual authority to perform certain functions. The shipper cannot modify the contract between the parent and subordinate by creating a ruse. The law will not hold that subordinate liable for breach of contract procured by fraud.

W.E.G.

imported post

UPS hub locations WILL accept firearms and properly-labeled (ORM-D - small arms ammunition) packages.

This holds, notwithstanding the BLATANTLY ERRONEOUS poster you may see on the
wall at the hub. The poster asserts that ALL ORM-D packages must be shipped by a
sender who has a pre-existing hazmat shipping contract with UPS.

If the counter-person gives you any grief, please cite them to this document,
with special attention to the PHONE NUMBER at the bottom. If they give you grief
at the counter, tell them they must call that number to get the issue straight.

An ordinary citizen with no special credentials CAN ship guns and ammo via UPS
provided that proper disclosure as to the contents of the package is given.

Also, when shipping firearms, be careful of the "box" rule. They CAN require you
to ship in a flimsy cardboard box. They adamantly refused to ship a Pelican case
containing a firearm because it was not a "box." I wasn't able to win that one.

UPS_ContractShipping_Page_1.jpg

Thundar

imported post

C45P312 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
The UPS Store CAN Ship parts!! It seems that the store you went to had their own policy. The store can also refuse to ship anything they want.
Not the case in my area (Chesapeake) for I've visited 3 UPS Stores and ended up shipping the bushmaster upper via USPS. Like I said, they won't ship any part of a firearm.
Try Pak Mail at 801 Volvo Parkway, at the corner of Volvo and Greenbrier. They are right next to the Food Lion. They have helped me pack and ship, and they will let you choose UPS, FEDEX or DHL.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
I just want to make sure people know that shipping firearms parts is not the same thing as a shipping the serialized firearm. You are lawfully required to inform the carrier in writing that you are shipping one.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.
I think the important part is in red... So if you are shipping it to your unlicensed friend in the same state, you are fine since the FED only regulates "interstate" commerce, if you are shipping it to the manufacturer, you are also fine without notifying them...If you go to your friend across state lines, then you need the paperwork...

IANAL

W.E.G.

imported post

Many of the counter-workers I've encountered at UPS couldn't even spell "interstate," let alone determine how an intra-state shipment of otherwise federally-regulated materials should be exempt from federal law.

Please take a tape recorder with you when you attempt have that conversation. It would probaly make for some truly classic entertainment on these boards.

apjonas

imported post

Sorry but it is interstate commerce even if it going to the renter upstairs. This is true for a whole host of reasons but the simplest to explain is that once it is put on the truck with any package going to/coming from a different state, you are in the realm of interstate commerce.