• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TEN WUSSIFIED STATES, Today Show, 'Rents Magazine, Nealz Nuze

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html

TEN WUSSIFIED STATES No wonder we are cultivating a country of wussified, government educated candyass leaches. Here is an article for Parents Magazine that looks like appeared as a segment on the Today Show. It lists the ten safest states for your child to live in. I know you want the list, so here are the top ten. The list could be more accurately characterized as the Top Ten Nanny States:
1. Connecticut
2. Rhode Island
3. New Jersey
4. New York
5. California
6. Maine
7. Pennsylvania
8. Mass.
9. Maryland
10. Oregon
So this led to my first question ... what makes these states "safe." And can you guess what I found? Government, government, government and more government. According to these people at Parent Magazine, more nanny state government regulations makes for a better place for your child to live.
Connecticut is the safest state in the country because it is the best at "enacting safety-minded laws and educating parents about them." In other words, the government tells parents what stupid things you can and cannot do with your child. But Connecticut does have one flaw that it needs to overcome: backyard swimming pools. Yes, folks. Those evil swimming pools are dragging down this "safety-minded" state because God forbid one of their little angels drowns because the government didn't mandate that you put a fence around your swimming pool.
You want more examples? Rhode Island ranks #2 because it has stronger punishments for first degree child molesters that require offenders to be electronically monitored for life. California ranks #5 because it has strong playground, bike and pool safety laws.
You want safe? Just where is the safest place to live in America. Where are you absolutely guaranteed everything you need to sustain your life, and where you can go about your daily activities without any fear whatsoever ... not even a smidgen of fear ... that someone is going to hurt you. That would be in the solitary confinement wing of a maximum security prison. Who gives a damn about freedom ... let's work on security
I wonder how the frontier territories ... where real Americans were bred ... would rate on the nanny scale?

Safety is a tyrant's tool; no one can be against safety.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.; NRA KMA$$

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Anyone able to verify this with say a correlation of injuries or deaths per 100,000 children. How about the infant death rate by state. I have found stats on lower death rates overall. Usually associated with better medical care. But nothing for a state to state comparison and nothing that shows these safety laws had any special effect. ie lowering the mortality rate faster than states without these regulations. I also could find no correlation between a lower or higher death rate due to legal open or concealed carry of fire arms.

Evil Ernie

imported post

My wife gets Parents magazine:quirky and we had a good laugh over the list. It definitely goes strictly by how many feel good laws have been enacted per state. Colorado (with one of the lower juvenile deaths per 100000, ranked 36th because parents are (for the most part) doing their job instead of having the nanny state do it for them.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

...says Alan Korn, director of public policy for Safe Kids Worldwide, an advocacy group in Washington, D.C. “Not only does a law educate parents who might not be as safety-conscious as you, but it also makes it easier for you to handle protests from your kids. When my 7-year-old says he’s too big for a bike helmet, I just remind him that it’s the law. Argument over.”
Thanks for telling me how to raise my kids, jacka$$. Just because you are too much of a metro-sexual panty waist to educate your own kids and teach them critical thinking doesn't mean the rest of us are as incompetent in the parenting department.

Lord, save me from the "good people".

PavePusher

imported post

I don't know how Maine qualifies as a Nanny State, my guess would be that it made the list due to being very rural and with a correspondingly low crime rate. At least that's how it was when I lived there as a child. Haven't been back in a long time, maybe it's changed?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Thanks for telling me how to raise my kids, jacka$$. Just because you are too much of a metro-sexual panty waist to educate your own kids and teach them critical thinking doesn't mean the rest of us are as incompetent in the parenting department.

So, what is a 'pantywaist' that made it a pejoritive? It is an obsolete child's undergarment of panties and blouse buttoned together at the waist. For as long as it has been around it has been synonymous with 'effeminant.'

Good word. Thanks. I'll file it with 'lickspittle' and maybe use it in place of 'anile' that so few appreciate. The fight to keep our guns is not different from the fight to keep our language.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Tomahawk

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

So, what is a 'pantywaist' that made it a pejoritive? It is an obsolete child's undergarment of panties and blouse buttoned together at the waist. For as long as it has been around it has been synonymous with 'effeminant.'

Good word. Thanks. I'll file it with 'lickspittle' and maybe use it in place of 'anile' that so few appreciate. The fight to keep our guns is not different from the fight to keep our language.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$
I thought the correct spelling was "pantywaste" as in a stain in an undergarment caused by the wearer's unintentional human discharge...but then my mind always goes right to the gutter.

imperialism2024

imported post

Apparently the reason we're on the list is because we have a low rate of child molestation. I wonder if that has more to do with laws or more to do with the fact that we have so many guns and people who carry them...

But going through the reasons why they selected the states, it becomes apparent that they just picked the states arbitrarily. For example, they bashed New York for not mandating the use of child safety locks on guns... but then ranked three states above it that don't have even less of the mythical "safety" gun control laws.

Custodian

imported post

Does anyone know what the top TRUE AMERICAN STATES are? I think we should build a list of all 50 states that have the best law for CITIZENS as the top rank and obviously these nanny states are the bottom 10, so at least that eliminated the problem (I think) of finding out who is at the bottom, right?

Not to mention what about annexed territory? Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands, those other islands in the Pacific, what about those places? Are they good for us too?

By the by, I didn't even see Illinois or Wisconsin in that list... Does that make them numbers zero and 11 (I guess the de-facto honorable mention) ?

MarkNH

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.wmur.com/news/15620033/detail.html

New Hampshire Named Safest State In Annual ReportNevada Repeats As Most Dangerous StatePOSTED: 1:43 pm EDT March 17, 2008

New Hampshire has been rated as the safest state based on an annual analysis of crime statistics.

Maine was ranked second safest, followed by North Dakota and Vermont.

Nevada was listed as the most dangerous state for the fifth straight year. In a report released Monday, CQ Press, of Washington, D.C., announced its 15th annual rankings for safest and most-dangerous states. CQ Press bases its rankings on rates in six crime categories.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

When my 7-year-old says he’s too big for a bike helmet, I just remind him that it’s the law. Argument over.”

Here fixed that for you(FTFY)....
When my 7-year-old says he’s too big for a bike helmet, I just smack him upside the head and remind him of his cousin who eats from a straw. Argument over.”

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The rest of the states:

11. Vermont
12. New Hampshire
13. Delaware
14. North Carolina
15. North Dakota
16. West Virginia
17. Illinois
18. Virginia
19. Indiana
20. Wisconsin
21. Florida
22. Washington
23. Nebraska
24. Idaho
25. Hawaii
26. New Mexico
27. Kansas
28. Missouri
29. Wyoming
30. Oklahoma
31. Tennessee
32. Louisiana
33. Michigan
34. Alabama
35. Ohio
36. Georgia
37. Montana
38. Texas
39. Colorado
40. Arkansas
41. Kentucky
42. Nevada
43. Iowa
44. Utah
45. Minnesota
46. Arizona
47. South Dakota
48. South Carolina
49. Alaska
50. Mississippi

Flintlock

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
The rest of the states:

11. Vermont
12. New Hampshire
13. Delaware
14. North Carolina
15. North Dakota
16. West Virginia
17. Illinois
18. Virginia
19. Indiana
20. Wisconsin
21. Florida
22. Washington
23. Nebraska
24. Idaho
25. Hawaii
26. New Mexico
27. Kansas
28. Missouri
29. Wyoming
30. Oklahoma
31. Tennessee
32. Louisiana
33. Michigan
34. Alabama
35. Ohio
36. Georgia
37. Montana
38. Texas
39. Colorado
40. Arkansas
41. Kentucky
42. Nevada
43. Iowa
44. Utah
45. Minnesota
46. Arizona
47. South Dakota
48. South Carolina
49. Alaska
50. Mississippi
Woohooo! My state is the 49th most wussified!

Tomahawk

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
When my 7-year-old says he’s too big for a bike helmet, I just remind him that it’s the law. Argument over.”

Here fixed that for you(FTFY)....
When my 7-year-old says he’s too big for a bike helmet, I just smack him upside the head and remind him of his cousin who eats from a straw. Argument over.”

FTFY again: When my 7-year-old says he’s too big for a bike helmet, I tell him, "You're right. I rode a bike when I was five and I never wore a helmet, and I still don't wear one, because we weren't as wussified in those days. If my mom didn't think I needed a halmet, who cares what some safety-wuss thinks."

swillden

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
1. Connecticut
2. Rhode Island
3. New Jersey
4. New York
5. California
6. Maine
7. Pennsylvania
8. Mass.
9. Maryland
10. Oregon
Let's see how these "safe" states rank on crime:

Connecticut - 11th
Rhode Island - 16th
New Jersey - 20th
New York - 19th
California - 38th
Maine - 2nd
Pennsylvania - 24th
Massachussetts - 22nd
Maryland - 44th
Oregon - 21st

So only one is in the top ten. Nice. These "safe" states are pretty dangerous.

MontanaCZ

imported post

Ahh.. the humor of it all. Actually, Connecticut has a law that does cover swimming pools. It is knows as the "Irresitable Temptation" law. If it would be a temptation for a kid, you must secure it.

Having lived there, and being the whole reason that me and my wife started to CC in the first place, was not a joy. The state is very very picky about what you can do with your kids, or how healthy your kids are. VERY nanny state. It is also the place where my 1 week old son would have been abducted if it had not been for two armed and aware parents.

-MTCZ