• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RCW 9.41.280 school grounds

spike89

imported post

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280

So looks like I am going to the Bremerton Symphony on Saturday night. But now I find out that it is at Bremerton High School, so based on RCW 9.41.280, I have to go unarmed (can't even lock it in the car if parking on school grounds). Seems overly broad that this law won't allow for carry when the building is not being used for school purposes. Similarly, when Kitsap county holds public meetings up here in the north end, they generally do it at the Jr. High, so no carry then either (and some of these meetings get heated enough that I refuse to go if I can't be armed). The law says it applies to other facilities that are being used exclusively for school activities, but apparently not the other way around (schools being used exclusively for non-school activities).
:cuss::banghead:

joeroket

imported post

If you read section 3(f) I think you will find that it is acceptable to leave it locked in your car as you would be a non-student over 18 in legal possession and it is concealed in a locked unnattended vehicle. It is a symphony that you are attending on the school gorunds therefore it would be legitimate business. It doesn't say legitimate school business, it simply says legitimate business at the school.

amlevin

imported post

I doubt that anyone will be checking for firearms at the symphony. At least they didn't when I played Tuba in it back in '59-'61:lol:. I don't recommed that you OC for this event as there will certainly be enough Enlightened Liberals present that one will certainly drop a dime on you if you do.

joeroket

imported post

amlevin wrote:
I doubt that anyone will be checking for firearms at the symphony. At least they didn't when I played Tuba in it back in '59-'61:lol:. I don't recommed that you OC for this event as there will certainly be enough Enlightened Liberals present that one will certainly drop a dime on you if you do.
That is true but they may have off-duty LEO as security. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

spike89

imported post

I ended up locking it in my car in my small car safe. The parking lot was for "students only" but appeared to technically be off-campus. The short 1-block walk to/from the performing arts center was uneventful. I was glad to have my G30 back on when I stopped at the gas station on the way home... seemed like a slew of questionable folks showed up right after I started filling up.