• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interest in open carry seems to be coming to a head of steam in California

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=91992

It seems that the catalyst tosupplement confidence in the legality of California open carry has finally arrived in the form of a story shared hereat OCDOby 4thseal. It appears that a number of CalGuns members are developing the courage to imitate participants- hopefully armed with adequate resources in addition to their sidearms.

I think its interesting to note that prior to these stories of police contact (that had not resulted guns drawn, felony prone out of open carry subjects), the concept of open carry was pooh poohed as an unnecessary andarrogantdisplay, something that should never be attempted, and would only scare the sheep.

With this burgeoning interest, i think it would be a very good idea to network with these new, willing participants when and wherever we are able. Im willing to do meet ups in the region (Northern California- As far south as Sacramento,as far west asthe coast, including Eureka and the bay area.)if I can have some advance notice. Perhaps these meet ups could be utilized to franchise cellular groups as we see in WA and VA, and take the opportunity to educate communities Statewide, passing out information and being the example.

Any comments on this strategy?

cato

imported post

I'd love to meet everyone here. But I'm generally with Mike regarding large gatherings. I think people should go about their normal daily business ocing in 1s, 2s, and 3's. I'm not really up for a big demonstration at this time. A dinner with 6-12 would be ok. I do think we need an annual get together. Calguns is statewide so regional meet-ups would also be good.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

cato wrote:
I'd love to meet everyone here. But I'm generally with Mike regarding large gatherings. I think people should go about their normal daily business ocing in 1s, 2s, and 3's. I'm not really up for a big demonstration at this time. A dinner with 6-12 would be ok. I do think we need an annual get together. Calguns is statewide so regional meet-ups would also be good.
Agreed. I've been making this suggestion to OC either individually or in 2's in lieu of attempting a big march for some time now. I think an armedparty of six would be pushing it at any eatery or business. Again, Id stress that this would be numbers building venture instead of some banner waving protest.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I would love to meet up. In the past I was unable to travel due to being the proud owner of a real piece of junk pickup. I recently got some reliable transportation, so I'd be willing to drive to SF or Sac for a meetup.

If we can get the guys from Manteca interested I'd even pick them up on my way there so they wouldn't have to drive.

sjalterego

imported post

I'm a middle of the roader. I don't want to start OC'ing by my lonesome. However, I also don't want to be part of a "demonstration" or part of a large group. The larger the group the greater the likelihood that somebody in the group is a dumbasterisk who will get everybody in trouble.

I'd love to do a Calif. Legal (OC and unloaded)OC Dinner event at some point in time.

I live on the East side of LA so if there are any other people in that area who want to do this let me know.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

sjalterego wrote:
I live on the East side of LA so if there are any other people in that area who want to do this let me know.
Freshtapcoke was at one point trying to organize a dinner meetup. He was arranging to drive up to Sacramento (from LA) to get together with ConditionThree and me. We never did get that planned...

Anyhow, I'm trying to get in touch with him to see if he's still interested. Maybe you could PM him and let him know you're interested. Maybe get a So Cal OC luncheon on the calendar.

sjalterego

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
sjalterego wrote:
Freshtapcoke was at one point trying to organize a dinner meetup. He was arranging to drive up to Sacramento (from LA) to get together with ConditionThree and me. We never did get that planned...

Anyhow, I'm trying to get in touch with him to see if he's still interested. Maybe you could PM him and let him know you're interested. Maybe get a So Cal OC luncheon on the calendar.
Thanks.

Takezo

imported post

Count me in also.... I live in Gardena, Ca. An OC, uloaded "Gun Rave" at a rented private hotel conferenceroomor resturant would be the ticket. We should invite "media types" to cover the gathering. There's plenty of video independent news stringers roaming the Los Angeles area seeking "sound-bites."

We should find a venue that won't prohibit us from showing up OC'ing.

Any ideas???

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Takezo wrote:
Count me in also.... I live in Gardena, Ca. An OC, uloaded "Gun Rave" at a rented private hotel conferenceroomor resturant would be the ticket. We should invite "media types" to cover the gathering. There's plenty of video independent news stringers roaming the Los Angeles area seeking "sound-bites."

We should find a venue that won't prohibit us from showing up OC'ing.

Any ideas???
"The Outback Steakhouse" was an enjoyable venue. When we had our OC dinner in Sacramento, they accepted our reservation knowing our group would largely be comprised of lawfully armed participants and it wasn't as if we asked their permission. Perhaps you could ask to make reservations for your pro-gun group and that members of your party would be conspicuously armed- if it is a problem for them, simply take your business elsewhere. Renting a private venue, somewhat defeats the purpose of publicly being armed. I would recommend selecting a venue that you would normally patronize, not a place you pick just for the occasion.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

If you're concerned about coming off as a posse of gun toters then you could always do something beneficial for the community while OCing, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIBELcNq5mU

I can't imagine anybody getting hassled too much when you are picking up trash while carrying or whatever other beneficial activity. Plus it would cause a lot of gun haters to think twice about a variety of preconceived ideas. Getting the media to cover it might be fun too...especially if you express your dismay about how the area around schools shall remain filthy since you can't get anywhere near them.

prcE6

imported post

I'm up in Sac, but with enouigh notice, could come down to your area to join/support an OC event.

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

Setup something here in Fresno, I know the owners of the 2 gun ranges here and we can happily get something setup . Fresno is in need for gun rights to be SHOWN and would be respected. Any dates or ideas, bring them up.