• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Foreign visitors can't have guns...

PavePusher

imported post

http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/230902

Tucson Region

Entrant-gun law is restored

By Howard Fischer
Capitol Media Services
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 03.22.2008

PHOENIX — Gov. Janet Napolitano signed legislation Friday designed to restore a state law keeping illegal entrants and many foreign temporary visitors from having firearms.
The measure revamps a four-year-old state law that was written to mirror existing federal statutes of who can and cannot possess a weapon.
But the state Court of Appeals ruled last year that the federal statute specifically refers to weapons involved in interstate commerce. The judges said that means people could be convicted of violating the state gun law only if prosecutors could prove the weapon in question was "shipped or transported in interstate commerce."
The new version fixes that by saying all foreigners in this state are forbidden to have firearms. It does contain exceptions for permanent legal residents and some visitors, including hunters and target shooters.

I left a comment, it's the second one. Not very high road, but this kind of pisses me off. If my adopted sister came to visit (she's a Japanese citizen), sheapparently wouldn't be able to carry. (I doubt she'd want to, but she should have the option, damnit.)

Jared

imported post

She could get a hunting license, then as a non-immigrant she would be covered. Then she could open carry with the hunting license.

I don't like the law either, but it's very easy to comply with.

PavePusher

imported post

I don't think that a hunting licence would cover her for carrying a suitable self-defense weapon in the center of Tucson.

The point is that good, honest, legal residents and visitors shouldn't have their rights infringed. Especially not their right to self- defense with the most efficient tools available.

Jared

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
I don't think that a hunting licence would cover her for carrying a suitable self-defense weapon in the center of Tucson.

The point is that good, honest, legal residents and visitors shouldn't have their rights infringed. Especially not their right to self- defense with the most efficient tools available.

She would be covered, a holder of a hunting license is one way to be exempt from the law. The status of having a hunting license exempts you from the law. Kind of like how having a CCW in AZ enables one to carry in a posted public park; whether concealed or not.

The good news is that these crazy citizen laws and all that are almost always shot down by the federal courts.

When it comes to CCW permits.... NM, LA, NC, MA (for the most part), WA (for the most part), MT, OH, KS, NE have these stupid laws.