• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first OC experience

DKB

imported post

....was pretty much a non-experience. Totally uneventful :celebrate

I decided to stop by Quizno's after work since they usualy aren't very crowded and they sorta know me in there. I wanted to find an environment as stressless as possible for my first time wearing my gun visible to everyone (I normally CC).

Well when I walked in the door there were a LOT of people inside (okay, maybe 15-ish, plus a few babies but I'm usually the only one there when I go by on Sat afternoons) Seeing a busy store made me nervous but I didn't want to just turn around leave so I walked in and ordered my sandwich and stood in line and paid and left.

No one said anything to me about it, I did get a few glances but I don't think anyone even stared.

Thanks to OCDO and the people here I felt confident in OCing for the first time, I was not nearly as nervous as I thought I would have been walking towards the store. I'm not looking forward to a negative encounter (especially with LEO) but I've read many good posts on what I should and could say and do (and what NOT to say and do)

Thanks again to the people here for posting their experiences and knowledge.

Evil Ernie

imported post

It's funny isn't it? You make it into this HUGE deal in your head, then it becomes a non issue. I'm getting to the point where carrying is so common that I'm now afraid that I'm gonna miss any GFZ signage.
I wore mine today up to Loveland (Nemo on Ice, was very cool...stop laughing), took it off in the car cuz I was sure that the Budwieser Center would be a GFZ, but I didn't see any signs. They were more worried about folks bringing in food and drink.

Good job with the OC, keep it up, be safe, and keep a lookout for the signs.

DKB

imported post

I carry a Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Compact in a High Noon Holster, nothing incredibly fancy (but we don't carry to look cool, do we?).

I'm that I'll OC more and more now I've made the jump and done it for the first time but I think I'll still be more of a CC guy.

Gunslinger

imported post

DKB wrote:
I carry a Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Compact in a High Noon Holster, nothing incredibly fancy (but we don't carry to look cool, do we?).

I'm that I'll OC more and more now I've made the jump and done it for the first time but I think I'll still be more of a CC guy.

I recently bought the Firestorm Mini-9 made by Bersa. Very well made gun, but seems to shoot low and to the right pretty consistently. Only have put a couple hundred rounds through it, so will keep working at it. Nice gun for concealed carry--I put my Taurus 85 in a pocket--with 135 g Speer Gold dots in it, and Black hills +P 9mm in the Bersa, both very adequate for defense--although the Bersa carries 13+1 just like my Browning Hi-Power, so that gives an extra bit of confidence. Will admit, though, in a situation where bad things could happen, I'd carry the Ruger P-90 with 230 g Hydra-shoks. It conceals pretty well, for a big .45.

How do you like your Bersa?

DKB

imported post

My Bersa is a fantastic gun but it does shoot slightly to the left.

My second OC was today at Red Robin for dinner with my parents and I'm pretty sure no one even noticed. My mom only said something about it outside after she gave me a hug and felt it, lol. Wearing a black gun in a black holster against black slacks and a black shirt certainly I'm sure contributed to it not be noticed easily with a simple glance.

My mom is more freaked out about me riding a motorcycle than she is that I carry a gun...go figure LOL

Evil Ernie

imported post

LOL!!! Moms definitely do have an odd set of priorities! Mine is the same way, tolerates the sidearm but get a cycle? Out of the question!!!
My SIL always get distracted and can't finish a sentence when she see's my sidearm. I've found that it's truly the only way to shut her up without doing something that will get the wife mad...heh...
Good job on the OC at RR. Sometimes they can be iffy with it being a "family restaurant" and all. I OCed in Lowes and Wally World today with no issues, but plenty of looks...heh