• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Talked to by a State Trooper

SFCAdamsYG

imported post

A PA State Trooper came to my house today to check out one of my friends and my vehicles (we do volunteer security sometimes and we have vehicles that suit our needs) I have a Jeep Cherokee and my buddy has a Crown Vic. We have yellow and white lights that we use when we pull security (its a deterrent for people to notdo things they aren't supposed to) Also my vehicle is marked Caution K-9 and with a number 15 (my call sign number for on the radio) Anyways, that being said to set the story... The Trooper came up to the door and rang the door bell, he asked if he could ask Josh and I some questions about our vehicles (as there have been some idiots impersonating police officers here lately). We were both OCing when he came up. SO of course we were happy to answer any questions he had. He saw that we had firearms and proceeded to ask if we had LTCF's which we did show. He did not however look like he was at all concerned that we were carrying. The reason that I am posting this is because I notice that very few people post anything about Peace Officers actually being professional or polite. I thought that this Trooper handled the situation well and wanted to share it with the others here perhaps it will helpprove tosomeone who is worried about being harassed that not every LEO encounter is a bad one.

~SFC Adams

P.S. This Trooper was out of the Carlisle, PA Barracks

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Why did you produce your LTCF when you were not in a situation where one was required? Even if you were concealing (and perhaps printing that he noticed) you were not required to have a LTCF.

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
(a) Offense defined.­
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
Asserting your rights is not 'resisting' or 'obstruction'.

SFCAdamsYG

imported post

I felt that since I did not feel as though I was being harassed and since he was polite the entire time that I would comply with what he asked. I know that I had the right not to. I just found no reason to say no. It's kind of along the same lines as some people find no reason to carry. It's up to the Individual what they do. I personally thought that since he was being quite professional that I would give him my ID. I appreciate the concern however, and I do recognize that I had a right not to. But I do like the way it all turned out.

~SFC Adams

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Completely understood. I'm not trying to criticize your choice, just to understand your thought process.

Last fall I visited the Capitol and checked my firearm there when entering. I was OCing. The officers asked if I had a LTCF. I told him that I did and asked if he realized I wasn't required to have one for OC. He agreed, but said it was procedure to request it when checking a firearm. I thought about this for a bit and really didn't decide how I felt about the issue.

The same thing happened when the folks who came to my hearing checked their firearms with the Sheriff's office (many of them were open carrying as well). Someone pointed out that since they required ID to check the firearm, the LTCF was perhaps more appropriate to show than a DL, given the circumstance, and wasn't really being used as a 'qualifier' for possessing it in the first place.

I do know that in a circumstance where a LEO simply sees me open carrying and asks to see my LTCF, I will not consent to show it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
gnbrotz wrote:
I do know that in a circumstance where a LEO simply sees me open carrying and asks to see my LTCF, I will not consent to show it.

Neither will I.
Polite or not, an LEO asking to see my papers, when no papers are required, is just plain rude and unnecessary in my opinion. And they know better.
Given the statute, what on earth did the LEO hope to accomplish?