• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Charlotte, Huntersville, NC

Godscreation

imported post

Hello Folks,
Godscreation here again; the new, young (22) guy who is has just joined this forum after discovering it about two weeks ago. I live in Huntersville and occasionally venture into Charlotte juristiction. On March the 12th my father and myself submitted our PURCHASE permits (not carry permits) to the sheriff and are currently waiting for the mailman to bring them to us. When I get mine I'm going straight to Gander Mountain and picking up a Glock 19 9mm for OC. Any of you folk OC in these areas? What's the attitude toward it? I know a few of the Huntersville police officers personally, and those guys are great, but I am nervous about the huge army of officers that work for the county, they seem very short, gruff, and intolerent of "civilian uncooperation". I may be completly wrong about them, but that 's the impression I have got with some of them. Have any of you had problems of LEO or sheeple in Charlotte or Huntersville? I plan to OC no matter what any of you say, but I just want to know what I'm up against. Thanks.

rdinatal

imported post

I'm from Huntersville and see a few OC'ers one in a while. Once in Outback around August or last year. I OC to from the range for the past year and have not had one issue. Keep a good attitude and you should not have a problem.

I will suggest that you get a CCW when possible. There are sometime when out of sight is best. That way you have the option.

I can't speak for Charlotte as they consider themself very Metropolitan.Maybe somone else will speak up in regards to them.

-R

Godscreation

imported post

I OC to from the range for the past year and have not had one issue. Keep a good attitude and you should not have a problem. -R

What range do you go to?Is it any good? does it cost a lot? Is it friendly toward new shooters? It isn't Shooters Express in Statesville, is it?

burninsteeda04

imported post

I want to say that shooters express is in Gastonia/belmont area. like a mile past 485. I would also like to say that open carry in charlotte is very rare, I havent seen anyone in a few years do it. But i have spoken to several cmpd and they have told me that if you were called in show repsect and allow the officers to check you out and you will have no problem, Sometimes you just need to pick and choose your area that u oc, like dont carry at south park mall, or northlake, lots of scared soccer moms, let me know how it goes. Just rember always hold doors for people, be polite and show people that your only concern is your safety not being a criminal.

Good Luck

rdinatal

imported post

What range do you go to?

I'm a member at Rowan County Wildlife Association - http://www.rcwanc.com

When I moved here I took the time to visit a lot of places to shoot. I wanted a club that owned the land (see below) and had active members.

I suggest you do the same and investigate. Most clubs have a initiation fee that can be prohibitive. One club out in Rutherfordton was great. 600yd range, etc just what I was looking for. But the distance (75 miles one way) and fees ($1000 buy in) were too much.

Is RCWA good? Yes for me, but you might be different. Come on over and check it out. Most club events are open to the public. We have a Buffalo Shoot this Saturday starting at 9am. I plan on attending if USAir gets me back from Dallas on time Friday night!

For someone who just shoots pistols then the indoor ranges are great. Just do yourself justice and check them out. Some I like and some I don’t, it’s personal preference.

RCWA is still accepting applicants. Like all clubs it has it’s snobs but I’m finding that every sport has them, not just shooting. What I like about an outdoor club that I belong to is that I can take my time shooting and not feel rushed. It’s a club not a “for profit” store.

It isn't Shooters Express in Statesville, is it?

Shooters Express does not own the land (see above), the person leased it. The owner of the land has sold it to the Scouts (Girl?) and is/has closed.

burninsteeda04

imported post

shooters express is still open however it is just an indoor range, its a bit crappy looking. And since im at WCU i have a National forest to go to like 10 min away so thats awsome for me so i go to moss nob

burninsteeda04

imported post

yeh man ill be glad to head up there, right now cj program is kickin my ass with papers and test, do you ever oc in this area and if so how does that go for you. any problems at walmart ect. I know alot of my brothers arent to fond of guns, but oh well f*** em. I really want to start oc in the whee and sylva. Kind of like an up yours to college pussy's who don't like the thought that guns are good. Also I dont know how you feel about Concealed Carry on Campus but if you will Check Out www.Concealedcampus.com

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I'm already a memberof Concealed Campus on Facebook. A lot of people on campus are pro-gun. I'm in the CM Program and I did a little survey in class one day last semester and found out that 7 or 8 people in the room out of a class of 30 including the teacher had a permit to carry a concealed handgun. I haven't OC'd up in Cullowhee much except when I go to the range or on to the gamelands going hunting so I couldn't tell you much about OC'ing up here but I know for a fact theSylva police chiefdoesn't like it and he might harass you if you walk around Sylva with a gun. I really don't have the time and money to deal with something like that right now so I figure I have a CC permit for a reason. What do you carry?

burninsteeda04

imported post

HA i wonder how chief tom johnson feels about it too, even off campus. I carry an XD sub Compact. I plan on OC in whee and maybe walmart I try to stay away from downtown sylva as i think they may be a little crooked. But I have checkd out the City ordinances and they dont say anything about it. So im going to start OC here in the whee. Im glad that your in SCCC I have tried to motivate alot of people for it in the cj department and most of classes are split 50 50.

burninsteeda04

imported post

my day to day carry is the AR-15 haha. Not really but XD is a great gun. What do you happen to carry.

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I carry an XD .45 4" Service. Tom Johnson is a good guy along with most of the campus police force and I think that if it wasn't against the law to carry on campus they would be fine with it. I don't think the SPD is crooked but they are a little too gung ho for my liking. It isagainst the lawfor there to be any local ordinances in Sylva against theopen display offirearms except in posted public parks and buildings since NC is pre-empted. I have even heard the SPD Chief say that it was legal but he still doesn't like OC so he may harass you. The problemwith asome CJ majors at Western anda lot of other collegesis theythink that they are the only ones that should have guns. There are a lot that don't but the fact that some do still bothers me. OCing in Cullowhee is fine as long as you stay off of campus and that doesn't leave much of Cullowhee in which to carry Lol. I'll send you a message so we can get up on facebook or something and go shooting sometime.

burninsteeda04

imported post

Yeah IM on aim with this sn. But I think if your able to carry a gun legally then more power to you even if ur not cj, hell if one of the interior design students wanted to carry id be for it. 1st off id hope it was a girl and she was hot n then well you know. Nothing beats a girl who will support you in your love for guns. I'm going to open carry for the hell of it in Sylva. He may not be to happy about it but oh well, do you know if the Huddle house is part of campus property, i know theres some faculty apartments there, but i'm not to sure as to were that property line falls.

hit me up on Burninsteeda04