• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has Kaine's restaurant cc veto backfired?

Glock27Bill

imported post

I just posted in Open Carry in NoVA about another good conversation I had with a stranger while eating out (this time at Famous Dave's in Oakton).

You can read the details there, but it was another great conversation with someone who was curious as to why I carry. She just moved to the burbs after a life of living in high crime/gun-free DC.

I had a similar one when we were all at Foster's, a woman with two kids came up to me and we also had a nice, instructional conversation.

It occurred to me as I was driving home that, had Kaine passed the restaurant cc bill, I would not be open carrying (at least after July 1) and would never have a chance to educate folks and to show them that we gun owners are all just regular people who care about everyone's ability to live in a safe environment. I also think that Heller being in the news has got more folks curious.

It seems to me that these interactions prevent politicians from deamonizing us, and may allow us to gather support (or at least diminish opposition) regarding any future legislation.

nova

imported post

I agree...while I think CC is still good (it makes criminals not know who is carrying, and therefore notsure if the victim they're targeting is packing) I also think OC is good because it lets the public see that gun owners aren't any different than anyone else.

Neplusultra

imported post

nova wrote:
I agree...while I think CC is still good (it makes criminals not know who is carrying, and therefore notsure if the victim they're targeting is packing) I also think OC is good because it lets the public see that gun owners aren't any different than anyone else.
That's right, OC and CC are a one two punch. OC lets the criminal know that people *are* carrying and CC makes them wonder who is! And I would dare say that they know more people will CC than OC.