• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Smith and Wesson Model 10

Spectre

imported post

I used the search option on this topic and came up with nothing so hopefully this is the only times this has been asked.

I was given a Smith & Wesson Model 10-5 today. Does anyone know if they will handle +P .38's? I don't plan on using the +P's for target practice..just as a back up incase I can't get to my 1911.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I believe if it can the barrel will be imprinted with ".38 Special +P". Otherwise I believe that the conventional wisdom is to use +Ps sparingly if at all.

nova

imported post

Best bet is to give Smith and Wesson a call and ask...they can tell you when it was made based on your serial number, and if it is ok for +P.

I don't think it would hurt to shoot a few +P in it for self defense...its not like you're shooting a steady diet of it.

Spectre

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I believe if it can the barrel will be imprinted with ".38 Special +P". Otherwise I believe that the conventional wisdom is to use +Ps sparingly if at all.

that is true 99.9% of the time, but there are a few times I have seen .38's that dont have the +P stamp and the manufacturer says it will perfectly fine to fire them, such as in the Rossi .38 snubby.

also some people I have talked to says its fine because the model 10 was based on a .357 frame and it will be fine to fire +P out of them, others say that it will be ok just because that back in theearlier days the standard .38 was actually hotter than todays .38, andothers say dont just because it is an older gun.

I will give smith a call to make doubly sure, and post the answer here for anyone else who may have the same question some day.

Spectre

imported post

ok I spoke with the guys at my local gun range, and they said that the smith model 10 will handle +P's just fine...even put a few rounds through my revolver. So as long as im not giving it a steady diet of +p's but saving them for a defense time the gun should be just fine.

nova

imported post

longwatch wrote:

My Smith 64-5 (made in 1988) says "38 S.&W. SPECIAL CTG."
I keep WWB .38 +P in it at home ;)

I heard that all smiths made after some time in the late 60s (around the same time that they started making stainless wheelguns) have the new heat treatment and are god to go with .38 +P....Again...that's just what I heard.