• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I renew my Virginia CHP by mail?

Analogman

imported post

I am currently living outside the U.S. (Government contractor) but will be returning to Virginia next year. Problem is, my Virginia CHP expires in October of this year. Does anyone know if it's possible to renew by mail? The State Police website isn't very helpful on this topic.

If it can be done, and you or someone you know has done it, any information you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

HKshooter

imported post

You could certainly mail in the paperwork certified mail, nothing in state code about having to show up in person. Even if your county requies fingerprints, that can only be on *first time* applicants so don't let anyone try to convince you CHP renewal needs fingerprints too.
Problem might be in receiving your CHP since some counties require you
to come pick it up.

Moderator Mike, how would you force a locality to mail it to you, or release
it to a 3rd party? 45 day clock is for issuing the permit, does that imply
ensuring it is physically in your hands?

Also, if your renewal was denied then the clock starts (21 days?) for
requesting an ore tenus hearing.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Unless you are a military member, you cannot force a court to issue based upon your domicile in Virginia. As a person not right now an actual resident" of Virginia, you can apply to the State Police.

If you want your permit to be issued by the Circuit Ct. serving your domiciliary locality, then I would apply by mail with a nice one page simple letter to the Clerk explaining that you are temporarily deplyed on governmwent business and to please mail your permit to your domiciliary address in that locality (which I presume you stillmaintain." This is the ounce of sugar approach.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I renewed mine by mail with Stafford county several years ago while assigned to the U.S. embassy in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire. . If you need notary service, check the consular section of the U.S. embassy. Most of the consular officers have notary powers. It will cost you for the notary service though.

Analogman

imported post

Thanks for all of the helpful answers. I will send my paperwork off within the next few days, giving me six months to work out any kinks in the system. I'm working on a U.S. base so I can have all of my paperwork notarized by the base legal office. I'll send off my VCDL membership at the same time.