• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proper Reason to Carry A Handgun

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dang I messed up the title - I mant Proper Reason for Carrying a Handgun.

Howdy from Virginia.

I am looking at a few potential jobs in Indiana and wondering about the process of getting a license to carry there.

the application seems straightforward enough, but I am puzzled by some of the language, specfically the part:

(e) If it appears to the superintendent that the applicant:
(1) has a proper reason for carrying a handgun;

What does that mean in practical terms - do I need to put a reason on the application? Can they deny it if I put self-defense as a reason?

Can I get a lifetime permit or only a 4 year permit?

Also, are there any training requirements? [ my eyes are hurting from a headache so I am trying to make sure I haven't missed anything important]

Also, I understand in order to OC in Indiana you need a permit - am I correct in this understanding?

Thanks in Advance.

Skippy

imported post

Skeptic wrote:
Howdy from Virginia.

I am looking at a few potential jobs in Indiana and wondering about the process of getting a license to carry there.

the application seems straightforward enough, but I am puzzled by some of the language, specfically the part:

What does that mean in practical terms - do I need to put a reason on the application? Can they deny it if I put self-defense as a reason?

Also, are there any training requirements? [ my eyes are hurting from a headache so I am trying to make sure I haven't missed anything important]

Also, I understand in order to OC in Indiana you need a permit - am I correct in this understanding?

Thanks in Advance.

IANAL, but I believe "a proper person" just means that you don't have any felony convictions or any other legal entanglements which would disqualify you. Those requirements are spelled out in other areas of the statute. Note that Indiana is a "shall-issue" state, meaning the local and state police can't deny you a license based on their opinion of you. Any denial must be based on specific reasons as noted above.

You may apply for either a 4 year or a lifetime. Both are available, but the 4-year is somewhat cheaper. I recommend the lifetime for any number of fairly obvious reasons. Indiana has two classes of license: a self-defense (unrestricted) and a target/hunting (restricted) license. I can't think of any reason why you would apply for the restricted license.

You need a permit to carry a handgun in Indiana either OC or CC. There are exceptions, of course.

Indiana has no training requirements.

squarepeg

imported post

I believeIndiana has a residence restriction, meaning that you have to have residency in Indiana for 6 months proir to applying. I think that is a stat thing. I know my town has one (or is so misinformed that they think they do. Assuming you have apermit from where you are now, it is accepted in Indiana, hell all 50 states and every country who has a permit is accepted here.:D

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
Wouldn't "self defense" be proper reason enough?
I would hope so, :D

But I know in some states (Maryland - the so-called "FREE state" you have to have documented threats on your life in order to qualify on grounds of self defense. And AFAIK in that state there are no other grounds.

Would y'all consider Indiana a generally gun friendly state? That is my impression so far, though some of the proposed legislation I read about on here has been pretty scary.

squarepeg

imported post

In Indiana, self defense isn't a reason to carry. Its a type of license. The reason is 'cause I want to.:celebrate

tattedupboy

imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
Wouldn't "self defense" be proper reason enough?
On the application I filled out, where it asks what your reason isfor getting a permit, there are two options (one is hunting/target shooting and the other is personal protection), and all you have to do is check which one applies to you. Unlike may issue states such as Maryland and New Jersey where you will be denied unless you can give some compelling reason, in Indiana, you simply check the box that says personal protection.

RHVette

imported post

Skippy wrote:
Skeptic wrote:
Howdy from Virginia.

Thanks in Advance.
You may apply for either a 4 year or a lifetime. Both are available, but the 4-year is somewhat cheaper. I recommend the lifetime for any number of fairly obvious reasons. Indiana has two classes of license: a self-defense (unrestricted) and a target/hunting (restricted) license. I can't think of any reason why you would apply for the restricted license.

You need a permit to carry a handgun in Indiana either OC or CC. There are exceptions, of course.

Indiana has no training requirements.
While I agree with this guy on getting the unrestricted license, I chose to get the 4 year, first. My argument for this is that I am currently in college, and my very well be moving in less than four years. In fact, I can guarantee I won't be at my current place of residence. I may or may not, however, be leaving the state. Therefore, unless you can guarantee you're going to be in the same place for more than four years, I'd just get the four year. BTW, you get a discount when you renew. It cost me $60 overall for the four year, and it'll be, IIRC, about $90 even when I renew with a lifetime. Without renewal, I think lifetime was around $110-120.

squarepeg

imported post

RHVette wrote:
While I agree with this guy on getting the unrestricted license, I chose to get the 4 year, first. My argument for this is that I am currently in college, and my very well be moving in less than four years. In fact, I can guarantee I won't be at my current place of residence. I may or may not, however, be leaving the state. Therefore, unless you can guarantee you're going to be in the same place for more than four years, I'd just get the four year. BTW, you get a discount when you renew. It cost me $60 overall for the four year, and it'll be, IIRC, about $90 even when I renew with a lifetime. Without renewal, I think lifetime was around $110-120.
You can change your address for free at any time. It only costs $10 iirc to get a new permit reprinted. If I am not mistaken, you don't need a new copy as long as the computer records at the state are updated and correct. As long as you stay inthe state, you can move to any town or county and your permit will be transfered.

RHVette

imported post

squarepeg wrote:
RHVette wrote:
You can change your address for free at any time. It only costs $10 iirc to get a new permit reprinted. If I am not mistaken, you don't need a new copy as long as the computer records at the state are updated and correct. As long as you stay inthe state, you can move to any town or county and your permit will be transfered.
Seriously? Dang, they "forgot" to tell me that.

Skippy

imported post

Any idea what happens if you move out of state and then move back? Is your lifetime still valid when you return or do you need to re-apply? (Obviously it would be invalid while you're a non-resident).

darwin-t

imported post

Back in the old days Indiana was a "may issue" state, not a "shall issue" state. Back then you had to give a reason for wanting one in a seperate letter. I always just said I sometimes carried large amounts of cash and also was an amateur astronomer and had expensive equipment in remote areas. Everything was true except the large sums of money and the equipment being expensive.

They haven't asked me why I wanted one for a long time. I think they automatically check "Personal defense" for the type now.

One thing - if your permit expires and you have already applied for renewal, the old permit and you application serve as your permit. Waiting until it's about to expire allows you to extend the time for the next one to expire. Moot point with lifetime. It's an extra $100, I think.

tattedupboy

imported post

Skippy wrote:
Any idea what happens if you move out of state and then move back? Is your lifetime still valid when you return or do you need to re-apply? (Obviously it would be invalid while you're a non-resident).
Well, does the issuing authority (the State Police) need to know that you left the state at all? If you leave the state and move back years later to a different address without telling them, just ask for a new permit with your new address. After all, as long as the permit does not get revoked or suspended it will always be valid, so if you leave and come back years later, just don't say that you ever left.

Skippy

imported post

Well, you're *supposed* to let the ISP know within 30 days if you move. If you're moving out of state and don't inform, then I think you would technically be in violation, even if they didn't know about it.

My question is more along the lines of how your lifetime can be revoked. I only saw verbiage in the statutes about revocation for the usual (criminal penalties, mentally unfit, etc.), and not for moving out of state.

It would be nice to know that your lifetime license was there waiting for you if/when you moved back into the state without having to reapply for it.

robkeeney

imported post

Would y'all consider Indiana a generally gun friendly state? That is my impression so far, though some of the proposed legislation I read about on here has been pretty scary.

Indiana is a /very/ gun friendly state. In many of the more rural counties, the clerk at the sheriff's office will practically fill out the application for you.

As to "proper reason",

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/schubert_v_debard.txt

states:

"Furthermore, in Matthews v. State, supra, our Supreme Court held that if it is determined under IC 35-23-4.1-5 that the applicant has met the conditions of the statute, the superintendent has no discretion to withhold the license. 148 N.E.2d 337."

cf. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/matthews_v_state.txt

Don't worry about any scary bills you might hear of. They're not going anywhere anytime soon.