Thread: Still no CHP... over 45 days.

Post imported post

I applied on 2/07/2008 in Arlington...

Saturday would be*my 45 day limit, so I was hoping to get my permit this past Friday on day 44. Called the circuit court around 1-2, but the woman said it still had not been returned. I asked if there was any chance she would get it and have it for me before the end of the day, but she said it was such a nice day that even if she got it, there wouldn't be a judge in the building to sign in. After asking her what the proceedure would be for a temporary permit she told me to call back on Monday and ask for status and tell them if I wanted a temporary permit.

I called today and it is still not ready. He said it would probably be later this week. Then*I asked about a temporary permit, but the person who I was talking to was new and didn't know about them. He went to ask a senior employee, who told him they could infact do a temporary permit. However, the supervisor was out, so I can't get my temp permit today, I have to call back tomorrow.

Maybe day 48 will be the lucky number...Do they usually get permits out*before the 45 day limit in Arlington?

Post imported post

mkl wrote:
    Maybe day 48 will be the luck number...Do they usually get permits outbefore the 45 day limit in Arlington?
    I'm not from Arlington, but I've never heard of an application going past the 45 day period.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Send an email to VCDL even if you aren't a member. Go there in person and get your temporary permit. Don't let them string you along. Law says if the permit is not approved within 45 calendar days, they must issue a temporary.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Well if the law says 45 days or they must issue a temp permit, and it's been more than 45 days and they said they wont issue him a temp permit today, then aren't they breaking the law?

Post imported post

There needn't be a judge to sign the permit. The judge approves it and then the Clerk of Circuit Court can sign it. You're getting a run around. Contact the VCDL and become a member if you aren't already.
    Bitka Sve Reava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

Check out the VA code on concealed carry. If I recall correctly, your application serves as the temporary permit until the court gets around to doing their job. And my CCW has never been signed by a judge. The Clerk of the Court signs it.

Post imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
    Check out the VA code on concealed carry.* If I recall correctly, your application serves as the temporary permit until the court gets around to doing their job.* And my CCW has never been signed by a judge.* The Clerk of the Court signs it.
    " the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance"

It sounds to me like they need to get me a "certified" copy of the application. If I can get to the courthouse after work (and they actually have someone there to do this for me) I will see tomorrow what they give me.

And I am a VCDL member.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

mkl wrote:
    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    Check out the VA code on concealed carry. If I recall correctly, your application serves as the temporary permit until the court gets around to doing their job. And my CCW has never been signed by a judge. The Clerk of the Court signs it.
    " the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance"

It sounds to me like they need to get me a "certified" copy of the application. If I can get to the courthouse after work (and they actually have someone there to do this for me) I will see tomorrow what they give me.

And I am a VCDL member.
    OK, so you know the law already - you need to call the Clerk of Courts (actual) and demand your de facto permit be "sent" to you immediately. If you get grief, then hire a lawyer and file a mandamus action to force the Clerk to "send" you your de facto permit. Don;t go to the Courthouse - make them "send" it to you.

Post imported post

Called the court today, still no permit. They said it was "on the judge's desk".
    I asked about a temporary permit and was told I needed to come down to the courthouse to pick it up. I asked if it could be mailed and they said no, I had to come receive it in person. I would have argued the point, but it was actually better for me to come pick it up, as I was walking right by the courthouse this afternoon and wouldn't have to wait for the mail.
    Went and got my application which is now marked as being over the 45 day period...Where the person signed it, they wrote the issue date for the temporary permit as 03/25/07. Noticed that went I was at the elevators, so I went back and asked them to correct the date for the right year. They just wrote over the 07 with an 08. All I need to a cop to freak out over me having a temporary permit that has expired by a year, even though the date throughout the application is clearly 08.

So, I will see how long it is until I get my full permit, and post to the thread.
    All in all I could have fought harder to get them to follow "the letter of the law" by demanding a permit on the 45th day, and then demanding they "send" the permit to me rather than have to pick it up, but it wasn't worth it to me. Everyone I talked to at the clerks office was very nice and very helpful throughout the process. They do seem to have some training issues (not knowing they could issue temp permits at first, not knowing that the law says they will "send" me the permit,etc), but no worse than any other government agency that I've had to deal with. Of course my tone will be different if they still don't have my "official" permit in the near future

Post imported post

It took me about 50 days to get my permit in Alexandria. I'm willing to bet they are getting backed up in NoVA.

Post imported post

Mine expires 6/19/2008

Arlington County Clerk's office website stated, and andemployee tried to tell me over the phone that I need a new fingerprint card to accompany my renewal application.

I informed the employee "Not according to the law and the Virginia State Police website".

All of a sudden, I didn't need a new fingerprint card.

Renewal dropped of with the Arlington County Clerk's Office on 2/27/2008.

No response yet.
    Assault Weapon (N) Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians..

Post imported post

I had the same issue with Arlington. Your permit will magically be ready tomorrow... If you need it laminated goto USA COPY just around the corner on wilson (across from Four Courts). The owner is very friendly to our cause.

fryfrye

Post imported post

fryfrye wrote:
    I had the same issue with Arlington. Your permit will magically be ready tomorrow... If you need it laminated goto USA COPY just around the corner on wilson (across from Four Courts). The owner is very friendly to our cause.

fryfrye

Good call. So after getting my temporary permit just yesterday, I get the call that my actual permit is ready, just like fryfrye said.
    So all total 49 days from application until permit. When I went to pick up my permit the guy had to go through a stack of them in an envelope to find mine, it looked like a stack of around 50-75 or more I would guess.

Thanks for the tip about USA copy being right there.

Post imported post

The next thing that will happen is you will get the "letter" in the mail saying that your permit has been approved and that you have 21 days to notify about fingerprints... pay attention to the date... It will say that the letter was mailed on or about some date that is well within the 45 day limit... Mine was dated about 1 1/2 weeks earlier than the 45 days...

Post imported post

fryfrye wrote:
    The next thing that will happen is you will get the "letter" in the mail saying that your permit has been approved and that you have 21 days to notify about fingerprints... pay attention to the date... It will say that the letter was mailed on or about some date that is well within the 45 day limit... Mine was dated about 1 1/2 weeks earlier than the 45 days...
    Got my letter, dated on the 47th day however. The 45th day would have been a Saturday, so maybe thats why.

Post imported post

Sounds like someone is working too slow that does the permits. It simply should nottake that long.

State Researcher

Post imported post

mkl wrote:
    fryfrye wrote:
    Got my letter, dated on the 47th day however. The 45th day would have been a Saturday, so maybe thats why.
    See Va. Code § 1-210(B).
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

WVCDL wrote:
    mkl wrote:
    fryfrye wrote:
    See Va. Code § 1-210(B).
    Thank you! I had looked for how they calculated time,but didn't find it.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    Sounds like someone is working too slow that does the permits. It simply should nottake that long.
    Yea seriously. Mine took 21 days around this time last year.