• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped at wal-mart AGAIN

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

So this was the same store from this thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/8804.html

For those who haven't read that encounter, I'll summarize briefly. I was stopped by an Asst. Manager saying I couldn't carry in the store, but after he called the Store Manager, he changed his tune and said that it wasn't a problem as long as people didn't freak out. Over all he was very professional and, other than the waste of time, it was a good encounter.

So anyway, I have been in that store a couple of times since opening day without incident. Coincidentally I had always been wearing a black shirt with a black gun, so that may have kept people from noticing. Today I happened to be wearing a khaki colored shirt, and was by myself. I didn't even make it past the greeters at the door...

Greeter 1 (G1): White male, 60's, well spoken

Greeter 2 (G2): Black male, 40's, heavy southern drawl

Asst. Manager (A.J.): Black male, 30's, well spoken

G1: (steps in front of me) You can't have that in the store, you'll have to leave.

Me: :)Ya know I actually just spoke to one of your Asst. Managers a few weeks ago about that. He ended up speaking to the Store Manager and then told me that everything was fine.

G1: Well they told us you can't bring that in here. I can go get a manager, but you have to wait right here.

Me: No problem.

G2: So whatcha got there?

Me: Oh, he's going to get the Manager to clarify that I can carry in the store. I wish I could remember the name of the other Manager I had spoken to..

G2: Yeah? Lets see that.. (he was moving VERY close to my strong side)

Me: It's a gun :?. I'm not gonna take it out of the holster.

G2: Oh yeah ok.. So who are you with?

Me: ...I'm not with anyone. I carry for self protection.

(The Asst. Manager walks up)

Me::)Hi, how are you?

A.J.: Uh hi, so whats going on?

Me: Well I was in here a few weeks ago, actually opening day, and I ended up speaking to an Asst. Manager..I don't remember his name. Anyway he wasn't sure that I could carry in the store, so we talked for a moment, then he called the Store Manager. He came back and said that the Store Manager said it was fine!

A.J.: Ok, well if you could wait here, I'll go find out. (he walked to a register to use the phone)

(at this point, I made conversation with G2 since it was an awkward moment)

Me: But yeah, it's interesting that you guys have heard something different from what the Store Manager has said. I've never had any problems carrying in the Morehead City wal-mart.

G2: Well see I trained at the Morehead wal-mart for 2 weeks, and what they told us there is that we're supposed to take the gun from you and wait for a manager to show up. Then we'll give it back to you if you're allowed in the store, or maybe we might have to call the police. That's why I asked to see it. (he started getting really close again)

Me: :lol:Really? That's surprising! I've never heard that before! Oh well here comes the Manager..

A.J.: Ok, here's the deal. You're fine to have that in here, but if customers start getting scared or concerned then we reserve the right to ask you to leave.

Me: Well of course, you can always ask someone to leave. So we're good here?

A.J.: Yeah, you're fine.

Me: Ok, thank you.

I shook his hand, and the hands of the two greeters, and thanked them for being professional about things. I then proceeded to pick up what I needed and leave without further incident.

I've been on the fence about purchasing a voice recorder, since I don't really have the money right now, but now I'm regretting not having one. That greeter honestly wanted to take my gun! After this incident I'm thinking I need to write a letter to someone, but then again I don't want to call any more attention to myself than necessary. Perhaps a letter to this illusive Store Manager, asking them to educate ALL of their employees, might be in order. What do you guys think? Oh, and if anyone wants to buy me a voice recorder, feel free! :celebrate

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Puddin99 wrote:
Good to hear that everything worked out. Be careful with the voice recorder. Two gentlemen who were OC'ing were arrested because they had recording devices on them. Be sure to checkout your state laws. Outcome is yet to be determined.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum45/9080.html

Ken
I appreciate the concern, but NC is a single party consent State, so as long as I am aware that the conversation is being recorded, it is perfectly legal.

conwict

imported post

This is egregious.

That can't possibly be *ANY* company's policy. For Christ's sake, "floor" employees can't even stop or reprimand shoplifters! What kind of Commando Greeter thinks he can take your gun, legal or no?!?!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

conwict wrote:
This is egregious.

That can't possibly be *ANY* company's policy. For Christ's sake, "floor" employees can't even stop or reprimand shoplifters! What kind of Commando Greeter thinks he can take your gun, legal or no?!?!
lol I KNOW! I had this "are..you...seerious???!!" look on my face when he said that. No offense to anyone, but this guy was the standard wal-mart greeter. His speech patterns, appearance,and demeanor led me to believe that he's a few fries short of a happy meal.

Custodian

imported post

"G2: Well see I trained at the Morehead wal-mart for 2 weeks, and what they told us there is that we're supposed to take the gun from you and wait for a manager to show up. Then we'll give it back to you if you're allowed in the store, or maybe we might have to call the police. That's why I asked to see it. (he started getting really close again)"

Take YOUR gun? Aw hell no. Not today, and not yesterday or tomorrow, either. Can you even see that happening? Some greetin' schmuck taking and handling your sidearm? (IMHO would get him shot if not worse) Those kinda moments want to make you channel Charlton Heston's "...from my cold, dead hands."

You know, they'd never hassle LEO, ever. They'd never ask to take his firearm and "hold on to it". It's ok for the law to be armed but not you.

conwict

imported post

Thankless Work: When Greeters Have to Take the Law* (And Your Gun) Into Their Own Hands
They're tough...they're ready to do what they have to do...and they were trained at the Morehead Wal-mart for two weeks. What are you going to do when they come for your gun?

*or some permutation thereof

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Custodian wrote:
"G2: Well see I trained at the Morehead wal-mart for 2 weeks, and what they told us there is that we're supposed to take the gun from you and wait for a manager to show up. Then we'll give it back to you if you're allowed in the store, or maybe we might have to call the police. That's why I asked to see it. (he started getting really close again)"

Take YOUR gun? Aw hell no. Not today, and not yesterday or tomorrow, either. Can you even see that happening? Some greetin' schmuck taking and handling your sidearm? (IMHO would get him shot if not worse) Those kinda moments want to make you channel Charlton Heston's "...from my cold, dead hands."

You know, they'd never hassle LEO, ever. They'd never ask to take his firearm and "hold on to it". It's ok for the law to be armed but not you.
Ya know, now that you say that I do remember him asking me very briefly if I was a LEO. Well, he asked who I was with...the implication was there. I'll add that to the script, lol.

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

What a joke man. I'll be damned if a door greeter at Wal-Mart is going to"hold" my firearm till I get the "ok" from management.

I've been meaning to pick up one of those Kimber "life act" things for a while now. This story has me wanting to get one. If you come at me wanting to take my gun without a badge on and you keep coming you get shot in the face with OC gel.

conwict

imported post

+1 on the lifeact. Stuff looks good, I'd like to find a story of someone using it.

burninsteeda04

imported post

I mean we can try it out you attempt to take my gun i spray you we find out how well it works haha jk.

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

Sopousedly it has a warning saying not to shoot it at contact range or it can break the skin.

Well if it gets to that point you having some bleeding really irrated skin is the least of my concerns.

burninsteeda04

imported post

yeh my thing is you shouldnt play with guns mr walmart greeter. Its not my fault u were stupid. ass hole dont you know that could cause you to get shot.

Godscreation

imported post

Or to be more "family friendly" when they try to take your gun just spray silly string on 'em! If you have kids with you that will break the tension! I'd love to see a surveillence video of that.

jack

Banned
imported post

conwict wrote:
This is egregious.

My thoughts EXACTLY

Original poster: Are you sure the greeter wasn't kidding you about taking your weapon ? I mean it's unbelievable that any store would have such a asinine policy.

What's next?

" excuse me we need to confiscate your weapon and test fire a few rounds out back before we let you shop."

jack

Banned
imported post

conwict wrote:
This is egregious.

My thoughts EXACTLY

Original poster: Are you sure the greeter wasn't kidding you about taking your weapon ? I mean it's unbelievable that any store would have such a asinine policy.

What's next?

" excuse me we need to confiscate your weapon and test fire a few rounds out back before we let you shop."

jack

Banned
imported post

conwict wrote:
This is egregious.

My thoughts EXACTLY

What's next?