Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restroom Etiquette

Post imported post

I'm not trying to get too personal here, but I was curious how you folks go about "powdering your nose" while carrying. I thought I read a story on this forum where a guy was pointing his gun in the air and fired off a round (no pun intended) while in a stall. As I said, not trying to get into specifics, but I think the question is legitimate.

Post imported post

I'm missing something here. Why was the individuals gun out of its holster? Was he being accosted in the stall? If not, why wasn't he exercising trigger dicipline?

Post imported post

I can't speak for the individual, but I'm merely trying to gain some insight as to how you deal with the added weight of a gun. Maybe I'm the only one with difficulties.

Post imported post

Very good dquestion. what I do is remove my firearm from the holster and place it into my pants after i pull them down. it keep my firearm of the deck and it prevents me from forgetting it when i leave.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I think I remember that one and the guy said it dropped. But we know it won't fire so the clown HAD to be playing with it!

Post imported post

Hasn't come up in my world yet, but then I avoid having to siit down in a public restroom like the plague.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I'm with you on that one deepdiver, but it is still a pain to hold up my pants while standing at a urinal. The added weight makes it a little difficult.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

While searching for that old story, I just found THIS one!

Cass County deputy won't face criminal charges for gun discharge.

http://www.kxmb.com/t/cass-county-nd/199224.asp

Fargo, N.D. (AP) No charges will be filed against a Cass County deputy who accidentally fired his handgun in a courthouse restroom.

Authorities said no one was hurt when the gun belonging to Cass County sheriff's Detective Dean Wawers discharged during lunch hour on Jan. 10.

Fargo police said an investigation determined that his weapon was discharged accidentally.

Fargo's city prosecutor's office said the accidental discharge of a weapon within city limits is not a crime "without some element of intent to discharge the weapon." (Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.) APNP 01-17-08 1438CST

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Or this Police Chief that LEFT his weapon in the john!

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1546808/posts

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Post imported post

Hey Bob, do you think they would be that forgiving if you or I did that?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

This is HYSTERICAL! Here's a patent application for a "detachable trouser garment" that will allow PD to "Drop trou" WITHOUT handling their gun, thus preventing the inevitable bathroom stall discharge!

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5819320.html

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

JB wrote:
    Hey Bob, do you think they would be that forgiving if you or I did that?
    Oh HELL no. we'd be publically crucified and deemed a danger to society, mentally unstable (Who really needs a firearm in a bathroom stall?)!

Perhaps if WE wrote ourselves a written letter of reprimand like that Chief did!

Good reading here too: http://www.optacinternational.com/of...icle_Accid.pdf

Here's the first one I read in a Spokane CostCo:
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...gunshot22.html

State Researcher

Post imported post

JB wrote:
    I'm not trying to get too personal here, but I was curious how you folks go about "powdering your nose" while carrying. I thought I read a story on this forum where a guy was pointing his gun in the air and fired off a round (no pun intended) while in a stall. As I said, not trying to get into specifics, but I think the question is legitimate.

This was actually discussed quite a bit back on PDO and I actually found the discussion quite useful.

First of all, using a urinal in a public restroom is a fairly disadvantaged position. Your back is to the room, your hands are a bit busy, and your most cherished appendige is hanging out. In any kind of questionable or uncontrolled environment, then, I tend to use a stall even to urinate. It puts a door between me and the rest of world which is more than I get standing at a urinal. It also offers some privacy for those times when I am CCing and don't care to have the firearm noticed.

With that, urinating is never a problem as I leave my pants buttoned and belt fastened when carrying with a belt rig. The zipper provides adequate access for urination.

For BMs what I do depends on how and what I am carrying. I've found that my gun belt is stiff enough to hold the holster in a reasonable position even with my pants around my calves while sitting. So I often do that. If for any reason that isn't working well, or I'm concerned about how close my holster is to the side of the stall (don't want anything getting grabbed from under the stall wall, or if CCing, even noticed) I will do as others have suggested and unholster and lay the firearm into the crotch of my pants. This keeps it out of sight, and quite secure, and I'm not about to forget it as I leave.

As you get a little more comfortable carrying, the question of how best to handle the firearm will be fairly naturally resolved as you bear in mind a couple of basic rules:

1-Observe proper safety to avoid NDs;
    2-Maintain proper control of the firearm to avoid having it stolen or forgotten (this pretty much precludes setting a gun on the back of the toilett, or hanging a gun belt from the ubiquitous coat hook on the stall door).

All the best.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Post imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
    1-Observe proper safety to avoid NDs;
    2-Maintain proper control of the firearm to avoid having it stolen or forgotten (this pretty much precludes setting a gun on the back of the toilett, or hanging a gun belt from the ubiquitous coat hook on the stall door).
    And don't forget:

3-Don't drop your gun in the crapper, especially if you haven't flushed, yet.

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    The 3-year-old son of an LAPD officer got hold of his father's 9-millimeter service handgun as they sat in a pickup truck at a traffic light in Anaheim. When the child pulled the trigger, a bullet passed through the officer and left him paralyzed from the waist down.
    "Got hold of"?? How the heck does a 3 yo "get hold of" his dad's gun while in a pickup truck with him if even the most rudimentary run safety followed.

So between LAPD and LA County they have in excess of 25 NDs a year that are reported plus admittedly numerous more not reported. WTF? :shock: Plus, that is starting in 1985 during the period they were still carrying revolvers. How the hell do you ND a revolver? Open the cylinder -- any cartridges? Can you see light through 6 holes? No? Hey dipsh$$$ finish unloading it! Geesh!!

Does the Brady Bunch know about this? Maybe what we need to do is disarm the LAPD and give their tax payer funded guns back to the taxpayers. Maybe England has the right idea. Then the LAPD can run around screaming, "Stop, or I'll say stop again!" Oh wait, they already do that from what I see on Court TV.

Sorry, I know that it OT, but WOW, those links Bob posted, just WOW!
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Here's another one.

http://www.whiznews.com/article.php?articleId=8161

Concealed Carry Magazine in their Feb. / March issue had a good article on just this topic - will try and post it if possible.

Post imported post

rack the slide more than three times and you're playing with it.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

savery wrote:
    rack the slide more than three times and you're playing with it.
    I was just lubricating it!!! Honest!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

A shoulder holster is one solution to the bathroom dilema. It worked for Detective Fish on Barney Miller.

As for me, it goes in my pants if I'm in a public restroom, no need to tempt fate from a neighboring stall. A I can't put my pants on with it there.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    I can't put my pants on with it there.
    You should try it. Citizen says it is a neat sensation.

Post imported post

When wearing my SmartCarry, I just scoot the waistband up around my lower chest, leaving the weapon hanging down my belly. When carring IWB or OWB, I just fold the edge of the pants over so the gun and holster are entirely inside the pants, keeping the gun both hidden and off the floor.

Post imported post

swillden wrote:
    When wearing my SmartCarry, I just scoot the waistband up around my lower chest, leaving the weapon hanging down my belly.
    :shock:

Hmmmm... That seems to be an unnecessary risk and doesn't follow the guidelines of the manufacturers' instructions for "bathroom usage". http://www.smartcarry.com/scfaq.htm

I use a Smartcarry now and then and just rotate the whole unit to one side when using the bathroom, therefore the weapon is still aiming towards the ground. I would think that just lifting it up to the chest area and having it aim downat the unit may not be the absolute best solution..

Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

Flintlock wrote:
    swillden wrote:
    When wearing my SmartCarry, I just scoot the waistband up around my lower chest, leaving the weapon hanging down my belly.
    :shock:

Hmmmm... That seems to be an unnecessary risk and doesn't follow the guidelines of the manufacturers' instructions for "bathroom usage". http://www.smartcarry.com/scfaq.htm

I use a Smartcarry now and then and just rotate the whole unit to one side when using the bathroom, therefore the weapon is still aiming towards the ground. I would think that just lifting it up to the chest area and having it aim downat the unit may not be the absolute best solution..
    Um, from the smartcarry weblink posted:
    If you have to sit down to relieve yourself, it's very simple. When you lower/lift your outer garment, simply slide SmartCarry® up several inches and let it remain around your lower chest until you're finished. Then slide it back down, lift or lower your outer garment and go about your business. In other words, you'll never have to remove either SmartCarry® or your firearm until you return home or need the firearm for self protection!

Post imported post

Flintlock wrote:
    I would think that just lifting it up to the chest area and having it aim downat the unit may not be the absolute best solution.
    Deepdiver covered the fact that it is the manufacturer-recommended technique, but I just wanted to add that unless you have a very flat stomach the sidearm does not end up pointing at the unit. Pull the band up just under your pecs and most people have enough of a curve below that to push the muzzle outward a bit.

Muzzle control with carry weapons is an interesting topic to me, because honestly there is NO carry method that doesn't cause the weapon to be pointed inappropriately at least some of the time. Ultimately, that means we rely on the fact that our firearm is reliable and can't fire unless the safety(s) is (are) disengaged and the trigger is pulled. It seems to work fine; I've never heard of a properly-maintained gun "going off" while in a holster, but it does go against the supposedly-ironclad rules of firearm safety.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast