• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restroom Etiquette

JB

imported post

I'm not trying to get too personal here, but I was curious how you folks go about "powdering your nose" while carrying. I thought I read a story on this forum where a guy was pointing his gun in the air and fired off a round (no pun intended) while in a stall. As I said, not trying to get into specifics, but I think the question is legitimate.

harley2003rkc

imported post

I'm missing something here. Why was the individuals gun out of its holster? Was he being accosted in the stall? If not, why wasn't he exercising trigger dicipline?

JB

imported post

I can't speak for the individual, but I'm merely trying to gain some insight as to how you deal with the added weight of a gun. Maybe I'm the only one with difficulties.

USMC91E6

imported post

Very good dquestion. what I do is remove my firearm from the holster and place it into my pants after i pull them down. it keep my firearm of the deck and it prevents me from forgetting it when i leave.

JB

imported post

I'm with you on that one deepdiver, but it is still a pain to hold up my pants while standing at a urinal. The added weight makes it a little difficult.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

While searching for that old story, I just found THIS one!

Cass County deputy won't face criminal charges for gun discharge.

http://www.kxmb.com/t/cass-county-nd/199224.asp

Fargo, N.D. (AP) No charges will be filed against a Cass County deputy who accidentally fired his handgun in a courthouse restroom.

Authorities said no one was hurt when the gun belonging to Cass County sheriff's Detective Dean Wawers discharged during lunch hour on Jan. 10.

Fargo police said an investigation determined that his weapon was discharged accidentally.

Fargo's city prosecutor's office said the accidental discharge of a weapon within city limits is not a crime "without some element of intent to discharge the weapon." (Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.) APNP 01-17-08 1438CST

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

JB wrote:
Hey Bob, do you think they would be that forgiving if you or I did that?

Oh HELL no. we'd be publically crucified and deemed a danger to society, mentally unstable (Who really needs a firearm in a bathroom stall?)!

Perhaps if WE wrote ourselves a written letter of reprimand like that Chief did!

Good reading here too: http://www.optacinternational.com/officersafety/pdfs/Article_Accid.pdf

Here's the first one I read in a Spokane CostCo:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003490506_webgunshot22.html

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

JB wrote:
I'm not trying to get too personal here, but I was curious how you folks go about "powdering your nose" while carrying. I thought I read a story on this forum where a guy was pointing his gun in the air and fired off a round (no pun intended) while in a stall. As I said, not trying to get into specifics, but I think the question is legitimate.
This was actually discussed quite a bit back on PDO and I actually found the discussion quite useful.

First of all, using a urinal in a public restroom is a fairly disadvantaged position. Your back is to the room, your hands are a bit busy, and your most cherished appendige is hanging out. In any kind of questionable or uncontrolled environment, then, I tend to use a stall even to urinate. It puts a door between me and the rest of world which is more than I get standing at a urinal. It also offers some privacy for those times when I am CCing and don't care to have the firearm noticed.

With that, urinating is never a problem as I leave my pants buttoned and belt fastened when carrying with a belt rig. The zipper provides adequate access for urination.

For BMs what I do depends on how and what I am carrying. I've found that my gun belt is stiff enough to hold the holster in a reasonable position even with my pants around my calves while sitting. So I often do that. If for any reason that isn't working well, or I'm concerned about how close my holster is to the side of the stall (don't want anything getting grabbed from under the stall wall, or if CCing, even noticed) I will do as others have suggested and unholster and lay the firearm into the crotch of my pants. This keeps it out of sight, and quite secure, and I'm not about to forget it as I leave.

As you get a little more comfortable carrying, the question of how best to handle the firearm will be fairly naturally resolved as you bear in mind a couple of basic rules:

1-Observe proper safety to avoid NDs;
2-Maintain proper control of the firearm to avoid having it stolen or forgotten (this pretty much precludes setting a gun on the back of the toilett, or hanging a gun belt from the ubiquitous coat hook on the stall door).

All the best.

Charles

Tomahawk

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
1-Observe proper safety to avoid NDs;
2-Maintain proper control of the firearm to avoid having it stolen or forgotten (this pretty much precludes setting a gun on the back of the toilett, or hanging a gun belt from the ubiquitous coat hook on the stall door).

And don't forget:

3-Don't drop your gun in the crapper, especially if you haven't flushed, yet.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BobCav wrote:
The 3-year-old son of an LAPD officer got hold of his father's 9-millimeter service handgun as they sat in a pickup truck at a traffic light in Anaheim. When the child pulled the trigger, a bullet passed through the officer and left him paralyzed from the waist down.
"Got hold of"?? How the heck does a 3 yo "get hold of" his dad's gun while in a pickup truck with him if even the most rudimentary run safety followed.

So between LAPD and LA County they have in excess of 25 NDs a year that are reported plus admittedly numerous more not reported. WTF? :shock: Plus, that is starting in 1985 during the period they were still carrying revolvers. How the hell do you ND a revolver? Open the cylinder -- any cartridges? Can you see light through 6 holes? No? Hey dipsh$$$ finish unloading it! Geesh!!

Does the Brady Bunch know about this? Maybe what we need to do is disarm the LAPD and give their tax payer funded guns back to the taxpayers. Maybe England has the right idea. Then the LAPD can run around screaming, "Stop, or I'll say stop again!" Oh wait, they already do that from what I see on Court TV.

Sorry, I know that it OT, but WOW, those links Bob posted, just WOW!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

A shoulder holster is one solution to the bathroom dilema. It worked for Detective Fish on Barney Miller.

As for me, it goes in my pants if I'm in a public restroom, no need to tempt fate from a neighboring stall. A I can't put my pants on with it there.