• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restroom Etiquette

swillden

imported post

When wearing my SmartCarry, I just scoot the waistband up around my lower chest, leaving the weapon hanging down my belly. When carring IWB or OWB, I just fold the edge of the pants over so the gun and holster are entirely inside the pants, keeping the gun both hidden and off the floor.

Flintlock

imported post

swillden wrote:
When wearing my SmartCarry, I just scoot the waistband up around my lower chest, leaving the weapon hanging down my belly.
:shock:

Hmmmm... That seems to be an unnecessary risk and doesn't follow the guidelines of the manufacturers' instructions for "bathroom usage". http://www.smartcarry.com/scfaq.htm

I use a Smartcarry now and then and just rotate the whole unit to one side when using the bathroom, therefore the weapon is still aiming towards the ground. I would think that just lifting it up to the chest area and having it aim downat the unit may not be the absolute best solution..

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
swillden wrote:
When wearing my SmartCarry, I just scoot the waistband up around my lower chest, leaving the weapon hanging down my belly.
:shock:

Hmmmm... That seems to be an unnecessary risk and doesn't follow the guidelines of the manufacturers' instructions for "bathroom usage". http://www.smartcarry.com/scfaq.htm

I use a Smartcarry now and then and just rotate the whole unit to one side when using the bathroom, therefore the weapon is still aiming towards the ground. I would think that just lifting it up to the chest area and having it aim downat the unit may not be the absolute best solution..
Um, from the smartcarry weblink posted:
If you have to sit down to relieve yourself, it's very simple. When you lower/lift your outer garment, simply slide SmartCarry® up several inches and let it remain around your lower chest until you're finished. Then slide it back down, lift or lower your outer garment and go about your business. In other words, you'll never have to remove either SmartCarry® or your firearm until you return home or need the firearm for self protection!

swillden

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
I would think that just lifting it up to the chest area and having it aim downat the unit may not be the absolute best solution.
Deepdiver covered the fact that it is the manufacturer-recommended technique, but I just wanted to add that unless you have a very flat stomach the sidearm does not end up pointing at the unit. Pull the band up just under your pecs and most people have enough of a curve below that to push the muzzle outward a bit.

Muzzle control with carry weapons is an interesting topic to me, because honestly there is NO carry method that doesn't cause the weapon to be pointed inappropriately at least some of the time. Ultimately, that means we rely on the fact that our firearm is reliable and can't fire unless the safety(s) is (are) disengaged and the trigger is pulled. It seems to work fine; I've never heard of a properly-maintained gun "going off" while in a holster, but it does go against the supposedly-ironclad rules of firearm safety.

Manka Cat

imported post

If you're using a urinal, just keep the button done, and stick with the zipper access. In a stall...well I haven't been there yet with my gun, (at my house I sit it on the dryer), but you could hold it. No one will see, so there's no worry about "brandishing". If you're worried about safety, you could drop the clip and un-chamber...wonder what the guy in the next stall will think you're doing?

I carry a Glock, un-chambered, with the trigger pulled. The differance in how the trigger feels reminds me to rack a round, and keeping one out of the chamber ensures it won't go off even if I am "playing with it."

Wow.

swillden

imported post

Manka Cat wrote:
In a stall...well I haven't been there yet with my gun, (at my house I sit it on the dryer), but you could hold it. No one will see, so there's no worry about "brandishing". If you're worried about safety, you could drop the clip and un-chamber...wonder what the guy in the next stall will think you're doing?
For those that don't carry with an empty chamber, that much handling of the gun is just asking for an AD. Also, the guy in the next stall may recognize the sounds well enough to freak out and call the cops.

If you carry fully loaded, I think you absolutely don't want to remove the gun from the holster in a narrow stall that may have slippery floors, obstacles to trip you, neighboring congressmen with "wide stances" to freak you out, etc.

ijusam

imported post

Man Accidentally Shoots Himself At Gun ShowFaribault, Minn. (AP) ― A trip to the restroom resulted in a trip to the hospital for a Bloomington, Minn. man who accidentally shot himself in the hand over the weekend at a gun show.

Faribault Police Sgt. Richard Larson said the 59-year-old man shot himself while removing his gun from a hook in a bathroom stall while attending the 31st annual Faribault Rifle and Pistol Club gun show on Sunday morning.

The man was taken to a local hospital, where he was treated and released by Sunday afternoon.

The gun show was at the National Guard Armory on Saturday and Sunday.
(© 2005 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

NEVER EVER stick anything in the trigger guard, except your finger and only when you plan to shoot.

swillden

imported post

ijusam wrote:
the 59-year-old man shot himself while removing his gun from a hook
:shock::banghead::shock:

This man would be a Darwin Award waiting to happen but at 59 he's almost certainly already reproduced.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

If I'm at home, I just unholster my gun and sit it on the corner of the tub, whether it's a #1 or #2. Easy.

If I'm "out" in public, things get more complicated. I typically use a stall regardless of what I have to do (#1 or #2), just for the added "safety" of keeping a better eye on the gun, sonobody canwalk up behind me while I'm at a urinal and try to take it. :shock:

Hopefully the toilet (in the stall) has a tank or flat surface so I can unholster and sit the gundown. If I do that, when I'm putting myself "back together" (tucking shirt in, etc) I keep my eyes ON the gun just as a mental reminder to NOT forget to reholster! If there's no secure flat place to sit the gun down, I'll leave my weapon holstered and use my elbow to kind of hold my pants AND the gun up at the same time. It's more difficult, but possible. I've had to do both "methods"a few times already.

[Clarification: Not to get too personal here, but I always unbuckle my belt and unbutton and unzip to do either a #1 or #2, because it allows me to tuck my shirt back in nicely (and I'm not digging thru and around a fly - I never liked that).]

Flintlock

imported post

swillden wrote:
Flintlock wrote:
I would think that just lifting it up to the chest area and having it aim downat the unit may not be the absolute best solution.
Deepdiver covered the fact that it is the manufacturer-recommended technique, but I just wanted to add that unless you have a very flat stomach the sidearm does not end up pointing at the unit. Pull the band up just under your pecs and most people have enough of a curve below that to push the muzzle outward a bit.

Muzzle control with carry weapons is an interesting topic to me, because honestly there is NO carry method that doesn't cause the weapon to be pointed inappropriately at least some of the time. Ultimately, that means we rely on the fact that our firearm is reliable and can't fire unless the safety(s) is (are) disengaged and the trigger is pulled. It seems to work fine; I've never heard of a properly-maintained gun "going off" while in a holster, but it does go against the supposedly-ironclad rules of firearm safety.
My apologies, I was refering to usinga urinal as opposed to sitting down on a toilet. I personally avoid public toilets like the plague and it didn't occur to me when I wrote my post. Standing up at a urinal is an entirelydifferent story.

JB

imported post

swillden wrote:
Manka Cat wrote:
In a stall...well I haven't been there yet with my gun, (at my house I sit it on the dryer), but you could hold it. No one will see, so there's no worry about "brandishing". If you're worried about safety, you could drop the clip and un-chamber...wonder what the guy in the next stall will think you're doing?
For those that don't carry with an empty chamber, that much handling of the gun is just asking for an AD. Also, the guy in the next stall may recognize the sounds well enough to freak out and call the cops.

If you carry fully loaded, I think you absolutely don't want to remove the gun from the holster in a narrow stall that may have slippery floors, obstacles to trip you, neighboring congressmen with "wide stances" to freak you out, etc.
That was my main concern, too much handling of the gun....(firearm). I would prefer to leave it holstered, but it seems like too much of a hassle. That last part cracked me up.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Typically I remove my weapon on safe and put it in my pants for when I have to sit down and reholster when I am finished. It is an awkward situation one way or another. If I am using a urinal I unzip and use my weak hand to do all the work....

XD40coyote

imported post

For me it will always be to sit down, and if I was carrying my mother would then gripe about how much longer I am taking LOL

Oh yeah I tend to go alot too, unlike you guys with elephant sized bladders. Carrying will be a bitch for me if I ever do it. This is why the VA OC dinner groups in NoVA have yet to see me despite VA being a 90 min drive. I hate long drives and I hate the stops even worst. Plus I am on some meds ( 1 is for overactive bladder LOL and works approx 3 weeks of the month, guess which week it doesn't work LOL) that make me drowsy, so driving is not always safe for me. I went condwhite one day last nov, first time I ever lapsed so badly, and I got into a lil fender bender. Not enough sleep was also a cause, butI was plain drowsy to where I could not control it. It is embarrassing what happened, I had never had an accident before.

As to shoulder holsters, the one I made hurts my shoulders and neck, but it is the one I have worn about the house and going to use the WC is not a problem. Not sure if a professionally made shoulder rig will hurt me or not, I did my best to copy the Galco Miami design. I have problems with my neck and shoulders in general, not to do with wearing a shoulder rig.

unrequited

imported post

I won't use wall urinals if I'm OC'ing and instead go for the handicapped stalls. There's more than enough room to drop trou, and if the bathroom has it, the kiddie change table is usually in the handicapped stall as well. I'll only unholster if I'm going to be in there awhile though. > )

massltca

imported post

JB wrote:
I'm with you on that one deepdiver, but it is still a pain to hold up my pants while standing at a urinal. The added weight makes it a little difficult.
I used to hold up my pants at the urinal, but now I just undo the zipper that way the gun stays in place and no one is the wiser.