• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC In Wildlife management areas?

Norton

imported post

I've got some land down in Monroe County and would love to spend some time hiking around the Moncove Lake WMA, but no way am I doing it without a firearm.

I'm pretty sure that state parks are no-no for OC, right? But what about WMAs?

Agent6-3/8

imported post

According to a Major with the DNR I spoke with via email, OC isok in state parks. I've OC'ed several times in the Cooper's Rock state park near Morgantown without incident. Never had a comment or cross look from anyone. I have to confess though, in this particular area, I prefer to CC.

Can't speak for WMA's though. I suggest you call or email the law enforcement division of the WVDNR.

Norton

imported post

Thanks Agent.

I thought all firearms were verboten in state parks? I know Moncove Lake State Park has signage to that effect.

I'll try to make some phone calls and see what they have to say.

Agent6-3/8

imported post

Its something of a sticky topic. Legally, the only places where you can't carry in WV are those stated in the state code. However, some of the DNR's regulations are contradictory to the state code and create gray areas. Like I mentioned above, the best thing to do is to contact the DNR. I think it may be wise to just CC when in state parks or WMA's just to avoid any possible trouble.

Norton

imported post

Agent6-3/8 wrote:
I think it may be wise to just CC when in state parks or WMA's just to avoid any possible trouble.

Can not do. MD resident here who wishes to be living in God's country :D

Until WV establishes a non-resident CC permit or recognizes VA's non-resident, I'm confined to open carry when off of my property.

I'll try to call DNR.

Norton

imported post

I finally got this response to my question regarding OC in wildlife management areas.

CSR Title 58 Series 31section 2.14 it states:

2.14. Uncased firearms, uncased bows and uncased arrows are prohibited in state parks, state forests, and state wildlife management areas, and on state trails, except:

a. When the area is open for hunting (hunting is prohibited in state parks) or when a registered park or forest guest has the written permission of the area superintendent to carry them in a case from his or her lodge room, cabin or campsite to open hunting areas, or to an officially designated rifle, pistol, skeet, trap, target or shooting range;
b. Area superintendents may authorize their use in historical reenactments and plays; and
c. The Chief of Parks and Recreation, Division of Natural Resources, may authorize their use for a limited period in conjunction with recreational and arts and crafts programs.

Please don't hesitate to contact me again if I may be of further assistance.