Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Ask Governor Kaine a question on WTOP News

  1. #1
    Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    561

    Post imported post

    Today at 10:00 a.m. Governor Kaine will be on WTOP's Ask the Governor program. You can call in and ask him a question on the air, or you can submit a question online right here. We need to hold his feet to the fire about his double standard regarding "guns in bars." Here is the question I submitted:

    Everyone knows your beliefs on guns and alcohol, and that's why you vetoed SB 476 (which would have allowed concealed handgun permit holders who are trained, checked and tested, to take their weapon with them into a restaurant as long as they didn't drink and they notified a designated person that they were armed), yet you signed into law SB 776 which specifically allows Commonwealth attorneys to carry a concealed handgun without passing the tests and background checks that common citizens do, AND this bill, now a law, allows them to carry concealed in a bar AND to drink alcohol. I would like to know why you signed SB 776 into law.

    FOLLOWUP QUESTION: Now that you know that Commonwealth attorneys are allowed to drink while armed under this law, is there any way you can reverse it to prevent this double standard?

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Spotsylvania County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    700

    Post imported post

    My questions
    Why did you veto SB 476 while signing SB 776 into law? You previously stated firearms and alcohol should not be mixed but you are letting them mix for commonwealth attorneys. SB 476 would allow CHP holders to carry concealed in ABC-licensed restaurants with certain provisions. SB 776 excludes commonwealth attorneys from the concealed carry law (§ 18.2-308) so they can carry nearly anywhere in the state.

    After SB 776's passage, § 18.2-308 reads as:
    - Paragraph A forbids carrying concealed weapons, defines what are weapons, and defines the penalties for violating this section.
    - Paragraph B states that, except for subsection J1, § 18.2-308 does not apply to "any attorney for the Commonwealth or assistant attorney for the Commonwealth, wherever such attorney may travel in the Commonwealth."
    - Subsection J1 forbids being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs and establishes the penalties for being so. Note subsection J1 does not define what constitutes "under the influence" so someone could have one glass of wine with dinner and still be legal.

    So, Governor Kaine, why is it acceptable for commonwealth attorneys to carry concealed in a ABC-licensed restaurant but unacceptable for regular citizens?

    If I am incorrectly reading the revised § 18.2-308, please detail how I am incorrect (to include pertinent VA code).
    ---

  3. #3
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    596

    Post imported post

    OC-Glock19 wrote:
    Today at 10:00 a.m. Governor Kaine will be on WTOP's Ask the Governor program. You can call in and ask him a question on the air, or you can submit a question online right here. We need to hold his feet to the fire about his double standard regarding "guns in bars." Here is the question I submitted:

    Everyone knows your beliefs on guns and alcohol, and that's why you vetoed SB 476 (which would have allowed concealed handgun permit holders who are trained, checked and tested, to take their weapon with them into a restaurant as long as they didn't drink and they notified a designated person that they were armed), yet you signed into law SB 776 which specifically allows Commonwealth attorneys to carry a concealed handgun without passing the tests and background checks that common citizens do, AND this bill, now a law, allows them to carry concealed in a bar AND to drink alcohol. I would like to know why you signed SB 776 into law.

    FOLLOWUP QUESTION: Now that you know that Commonwealth attorneys are allowed to drink while armed under this law, is there any way you can reverse it to prevent this double standard?
    Best way for Kaine to get rid of the double standard would be to help us get rid of 18.2-308 J3, then we all could carry.


  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    561

    Post imported post

    A woman from Fairfax was able to get this question to the Governor on the air, and he again denied that Commonwealth Attorneys can carry and drink in restaurants. He said that only sworn officers can carry in restaurants. He also in response to a question from the WTOP on-air personality said that you CANNOT carry a gun into a restaurant that serves alcohol. He made no distinction between open or concealed carry.



    (Edited for syntax)

  5. #5
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    He's also not informed on private property rights. He said he thinks that VA law precludes managers from asking a gun owner to leave the firearm outside.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    If I was currently a constituent, he would be getting a letter from me addressed to:
    Prevaricator-in-Chief, Commonwealth of Virginia, cc'ed to every major newspaper and tv outlet. Barefaced lying jerk. This sort of blatant lying about an easily proven factual issue are the kind of "horseshoe nails" that bring down politicians and political empires.

    Is there anyway for VCDL or OCDO to push the AG to publish an opinion as to this matter? Any organized plan to get the plainly read text of the statute out to the public and all major news sources? Damn I wish I was a constituent. This kind of stuff really gets me riled.

    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  7. #7
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    596

    Post imported post

    deepdiver wrote:
    If I was currently a constituent, he would be getting a letter from me addressed to:
    Prevaricator-in-Chief, Commonwealth of Virginia, cc'ed to every major newspaper and tv outlet. Barefaced lying jerk. This sort of blatant lying about an easily proven factual issue are the kind of "horseshoe nails" that bring down politicians and political empires.

    Is there anyway for VCDL or OCDO to push the AG to publish an opinion as to this matter? Any organized plan to get the plainly read text of the statute out to the public and all major news sources? Damn I wish I was a constituent. This kind of stuff really gets me riled.
    In progress.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    deepdiver wrote:
    If I was currently a constituent, he would be getting a letter from me addressed to:
    Prevaricator-in-Chief, Commonwealth of Virginia, cc'ed to every major newspaper and tv outlet. Barefaced lying jerk. This sort of blatant lying about an easily proven factual issue are the kind of "horseshoe nails" that bring down politicians and political empires.

    Is there anyway for VCDL or OCDO to push the AG to publish an opinion as to this matter? Any organized plan to get the plainly read text of the statute out to the public and all major news sources? Damn I wish I was a constituent. This kind of stuff really gets me riled.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...81+ful+SB776ER

    This to the best of my knowledge is the bill as passed into law.



  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    Is Kaine an advisor to the Clinton campaign? Next he'll tell us he was under sniper fire at a local restaurant.

    (Of course, when this all plays out, he'll just say he "misspoke".)

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran roscoe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Catlett, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Post imported post

    VCDL President wrote:

    Best way for Kaine to get rid of the double standard would be to help us get rid of 18.2-308 J3, then we all could carry.
    While we're at it, why don't we just get rid of 18.2-308 in it's entirety...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    519

    Post imported post

    OC-Glock19 wrote:
    A woman from Fairfax was able to get this question to the Governor on the air, and he again denied that Commonwealth Attorneys can carry and drink in restaurants. He said that only sworn officers can carry in restaurants. He also in response to a question from the WTOP on-air personality said that you CANNOT carry a gun into a restaurant that serves alcohol. He made no distinction between open or concealed carry.
    The woman from Fairfax was my wife, Deborah. Thought it would be good to have Kaine take this question from a woman and she was really fired up about doing so (did I marry a good woman or what!!!)

    WTOP cut her off to allow Kaine to lie, I mean respond, and wouldn't let her have a follow up question. She called back and tried to do so, but the show ran out of time. She called back again and asked to speak to the reporter, but he hasn't returned her call as yet.

    In hindsight, the next time we get an opportunity to ask this question in this or a similar forum, the question has to be posed along the lines, "Governor, I have a question about your double standard in regard to your veto of SB 476, and signing of SB 776.....When you have attempted to address this in the past, you have been factually in error when you describe what these bills do...(and then spell that out)... How do you respond to that?"

    Again, in hindsight, if we were asking the question again, we would zero right in on the facts of SB 476, 776, straight out of Philip's recent VCDL emails, and try to avoid giving Kaine an opportunity to mislead/spin/lie as he has been doing.

    Perhaps this will help somebody who has another chance to ask Kaine about his double standard.

    And Kaine indeed showed amazing ignorance of Virginia's gun laws when answering the reporter's own follow on questions after they hung up on Deborah. Probably doesn't even know open carry is legal.


  12. #12
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    Mark, pls give our thanks to your wife for the question. In other news... I plan on attending the Ashburn "Meet the Gov" forum on Monday. I urge anyone else attending to review the questions and responsesofGov Kaine and craft questions that are different, or cannot be answered the same way. I've noticed that the same question keeps coming up which elicits the same canned response from Kaine.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    nakedshoplifter wrote:
    Mark, pls give our thanks to your wife for the question. In other news... I plan on attending the Ashburn "Meet the Gov" forum on Monday. I urge anyone else attending to review the questions and responsesofGov Kaine and craft questions that are different, or cannot be answered the same way. I've noticed that the same question keeps coming up which elicits the same canned response from Kaine.
    Maybe pass out the text of the bill to people as they enter with the section highlighted?

  14. #14
    Regular Member nemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Winchester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    272

    Post imported post

    nakedshoplifter wrote:
    I plan on attending the Ashburn "Meet the Gov" forum on Monday. I urge anyone else attending to review the questions and responsesofGov Kaine and craft questions that are different, or cannot be answered the same way. I've noticed that the same question keeps coming up which elicits the same canned response from Kaine.
    Dear naked,

    I am also planning to attend the Ashland event. I have thought about wearing my red gun in my OC holster, but, well, maybe not....

    I agree that the same question comes up, so, after reading the VCDL alert that just came out, I thought that I could hit the same bill, for the same reason, i.e., his hypocrisy, from a different direction.

    I started to ask how can we meet, how will I recognize you, but you will probably be the only naked one there.



  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Firestone, Colorado
    Posts
    1,189

    Post imported post

    nakedshoplifter wrote:
    Mark, pls give our thanks to your wife for the question. In other news... I plan on attending the Ashburn "Meet the Gov" forum on Monday. I urge anyone else attending to review the questions and responsesofGov Kaine and craft questions that are different, or cannot be answered the same way. I've noticed that the same question keeps coming up which elicits the same canned response from Kaine.
    Maybe something like "Governor Kaine, could you please explain why you have repeatedly stated that SB 776, which you recently signed into law, does not allow attorneys for the Commonwealth to carry firearms in restaurants? Allow me to quote from subsection B of the law, as amended, which lists the categories of people to which the restaurant ban does not apply. Paragraph 9 states 'Any attorney for the Commonwealth or assistant attorney for the Commonwealth, wherever such attorney may travel in the Commonwealth', end quote. Your statements in public and in e-mails to the public are at odds with the black letter of the law you signed into existence. Why is that?"

    Perhaps that could be wordsmithed for brevity, but the basic point is that the question should directly quote the relevant language from the law, and should make abundantly clear that the quote is a quote.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,761

    Post imported post

    Hey Nekid - got details on the Ashburn event? I may or may not be able to make this. Gotta take cujo to puppy school...

  17. #17
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    hsmith wrote:
    Mark, pls give our thanks to your wife for the question.

    Maybe pass out the text of the bill to people as they enter with the section highlighted
    Full text with highlights.
    Click on SB 776

    http://www.richmondsunlight.com/bill...b776/fulltext/




    Edit:
    Too much to post here.


    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    even if you don't do "handouts," may i suggest taking the printed text WITH the changes highlighted that he disputes with you.

    If he challenges you or denies it, you can say, "would you like to read the text of the bill with the additions because i have it right here"



  19. #19
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    In the end he will blame the Attorney General and his advisors for "misreading" the bill.

    Or apologize and say if had understood the bill he would have vetoed it, but too late, sorry Charlie.

    Guess he's just too busy trying to secure a cabinet spot in Hussein's administration.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  20. #20
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519

    Post imported post

    nakedshoplifter wrote:
    I plan on attending the Ashburn "Meet the Gov" forum on Monday. I urge anyone else attending to review the questions and responsesofGov Kaine and craft questions that are different, or cannot be answered the same way. I've noticed that the same question keeps coming up which elicits the same canned response from Kaine.
    Change the question. Ask Kaine why it's OK with him for Commonwealth's Attorneys to bring dangerous weapons to elementary schools.

    Why, that could endanger the children.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •