• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ask Governor Kaine a question on WTOP News

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Today at 10:00 a.m. Governor Kaine will be on WTOP's Ask the Governor program. You can call in and ask him a question on the air, or you can submit a question online right here. We need to hold his feet to the fire about his double standard regarding "guns in bars." Here is the question I submitted:

Everyone knows your beliefs on guns and alcohol, and that's why you vetoed SB 476 (which would have allowed concealed handgun permit holders who are trained, checked and tested, to take their weapon with them into a restaurant as long as they didn't drink and they notified a designated person that they were armed), yet you signed into law SB 776 which specifically allows Commonwealth attorneys to carry a concealed handgun without passing the tests and background checks that common citizens do, AND this bill, now a law, allows them to carry concealed in a bar AND to drink alcohol. I would like to know why you signed SB 776 into law.

FOLLOWUP QUESTION: Now that you know that Commonwealth attorneys are allowed to drink while armed under this law, is there any way you can reverse it to prevent this double standard?

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My questions
Why did you veto SB 476 while signing SB 776 into law? You previously stated firearms and alcohol should not be mixed but you are letting them mix for commonwealth attorneys. SB 476 would allow CHP holders to carry concealed in ABC-licensed restaurants with certain provisions. SB 776 excludes commonwealth attorneys from the concealed carry law (§ 18.2-308) so they can carry nearly anywhere in the state.

After SB 776's passage, § 18.2-308 reads as:
- Paragraph A forbids carrying concealed weapons, defines what are weapons, and defines the penalties for violating this section.
- Paragraph B states that, except for subsection J1, § 18.2-308 does not apply to "any attorney for the Commonwealth or assistant attorney for the Commonwealth, wherever such attorney may travel in the Commonwealth."
- Subsection J1 forbids being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs and establishes the penalties for being so. Note subsection J1 does not define what constitutes "under the influence" so someone could have one glass of wine with dinner and still be legal.

So, Governor Kaine, why is it acceptable for commonwealth attorneys to carry concealed in a ABC-licensed restaurant but unacceptable for regular citizens?

If I am incorrectly reading the revised § 18.2-308, please detail how I am incorrect (to include pertinent VA code).

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
Today at 10:00 a.m. Governor Kaine will be on WTOP's Ask the Governor program. You can call in and ask him a question on the air, or you can submit a question online right here. We need to hold his feet to the fire about his double standard regarding "guns in bars." Here is the question I submitted:

Everyone knows your beliefs on guns and alcohol, and that's why you vetoed SB 476 (which would have allowed concealed handgun permit holders who are trained, checked and tested, to take their weapon with them into a restaurant as long as they didn't drink and they notified a designated person that they were armed), yet you signed into law SB 776 which specifically allows Commonwealth attorneys to carry a concealed handgun without passing the tests and background checks that common citizens do, AND this bill, now a law, allows them to carry concealed in a bar AND to drink alcohol. I would like to know why you signed SB 776 into law.

FOLLOWUP QUESTION: Now that you know that Commonwealth attorneys are allowed to drink while armed under this law, is there any way you can reverse it to prevent this double standard?
Best way for Kaine to get rid of the double standard would be to help us get rid of 18.2-308 J3, then we all could carry.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

A woman from Fairfax was able to get this question to the Governor on the air, and he again denied that Commonwealth Attorneys can carry and drink in restaurants. He said that only sworn officers can carry in restaurants. He also in response to a question from the WTOP on-air personality said that you CANNOT carry a gun into a restaurant that serves alcohol. He made no distinction between open or concealed carry.

(Edited for syntax)

IanB

imported post

He's also not informed on private property rights. He said he thinks that VA law precludes managers from asking a gun owner to leave the firearm outside.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If I was currently a constituent, he would be getting a letter from me addressed to:
Prevaricator-in-Chief, Commonwealth of Virginia, cc'ed to every major newspaper and tv outlet. Barefaced lying jerk. This sort of blatant lying about an easily proven factual issue are the kind of "horseshoe nails" that bring down politicians and political empires.

Is there anyway for VCDL or OCDO to push the AG to publish an opinion as to this matter? Any organized plan to get the plainly read text of the statute out to the public and all major news sources? Damn I wish I was a constituent. This kind of stuff really gets me riled.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
If I was currently a constituent, he would be getting a letter from me addressed to:
Prevaricator-in-Chief, Commonwealth of Virginia, cc'ed to every major newspaper and tv outlet. Barefaced lying jerk. This sort of blatant lying about an easily proven factual issue are the kind of "horseshoe nails" that bring down politicians and political empires.

Is there anyway for VCDL or OCDO to push the AG to publish an opinion as to this matter? Any organized plan to get the plainly read text of the statute out to the public and all major news sources? Damn I wish I was a constituent. This kind of stuff really gets me riled.
In progress.

Decoligny

imported post

deepdiver wrote:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?081+ful+SB776ER

This to the best of my knowledge is the bill as passed into law.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Is Kaine an advisor to the Clinton campaign? Next he'll tell us he was under sniper fire at a local restaurant.

(Of course, when this all plays out, he'll just say he "misspoke".) :banghead:

markand

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
A woman from Fairfax was able to get this question to the Governor on the air, and he again denied that Commonwealth Attorneys can carry and drink in restaurants. He said that only sworn officers can carry in restaurants. He also in response to a question from the WTOP on-air personality said that you CANNOT carry a gun into a restaurant that serves alcohol. He made no distinction between open or concealed carry.
The woman from Fairfax was my wife, Deborah. Thought it would be good to have Kaine take this question from a woman and she was really fired up about doing so (did I marry a good woman or what!!!)

WTOP cut her off to allow Kaine to lie, I mean respond, and wouldn't let her have a follow up question. She called back and tried to do so, but the show ran out of time. She called back again and asked to speak to the reporter, but he hasn't returned her call as yet.

In hindsight, the next time we get an opportunity to ask this question in this or a similar forum, the question has to be posed along the lines, "Governor, I have a question about your double standard in regard to your veto of SB 476, and signing of SB 776.....When you have attempted to address this in the past, you have been factually in error when you describe what these bills do...(and then spell that out)... How do you respond to that?"

Again, in hindsight, if we were asking the question again, we would zero right in on the facts of SB 476, 776, straight out of Philip's recent VCDL emails, and try to avoid giving Kaine an opportunity to mislead/spin/lie as he has been doing.

Perhaps this will help somebody who has another chance to ask Kaine about his double standard.

And Kaine indeed showed amazing ignorance of Virginia's gun laws when answering the reporter's own follow on questions after they hung up on Deborah. Probably doesn't even know open carry is legal.

IanB

imported post

Mark, pls give our thanks to your wife for the question. In other news... I plan on attending the Ashburn "Meet the Gov" forum on Monday. I urge anyone else attending to review the questions and responsesofGov Kaine and craft questions that are different, or cannot be answered the same way. I've noticed that the same question keeps coming up which elicits the same canned response from Kaine.

hsmith

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Mark, pls give our thanks to your wife for the question. In other news... I plan on attending the Ashburn "Meet the Gov" forum on Monday. I urge anyone else attending to review the questions and responsesofGov Kaine and craft questions that are different, or cannot be answered the same way. I've noticed that the same question keeps coming up which elicits the same canned response from Kaine.
Maybe pass out the text of the bill to people as they enter with the section highlighted?

nemo

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I plan on attending the Ashburn "Meet the Gov" forum on Monday. I urge anyone else attending to review the questions and responsesofGov Kaine and craft questions that are different, or cannot be answered the same way. I've noticed that the same question keeps coming up which elicits the same canned response from Kaine.
Dear naked,

I am also planning to attend the Ashland event. I have thought about wearing my red gun in my OC holster, but, well, maybe not....

I agree that the same question comes up, so, after reading the VCDL alert that just came out, I thought that I could hit the same bill, for the same reason, i.e., his hypocrisy, from a different direction.

I started to ask how can we meet, how will I recognize you, but you will probably be the only naked one there.
shocker.gif

swillden

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Maybe something like "Governor Kaine, could you please explain why you have repeatedly stated that SB 776, which you recently signed into law, does not allow attorneys for the Commonwealth to carry firearms in restaurants? Allow me to quote from subsection B of the law, as amended, which lists the categories of people to which the restaurant ban does not apply. Paragraph 9 states 'Any attorney for the Commonwealth or assistant attorney for the Commonwealth, wherever such attorney may travel in the Commonwealth', end quote. Your statements in public and in e-mails to the public are at odds with the black letter of the law you signed into existence. Why is that?"

Perhaps that could be wordsmithed for brevity, but the basic point is that the question should directly quote the relevant language from the law, and should make abundantly clear that the quote is a quote.

hsmith

imported post

even if you don't do "handouts," may i suggest taking the printed text WITH the changes highlighted that he disputes with you.

If he challenges you or denies it, you can say, "would you like to read the text of the bill with the additions because i have it right here"

paramedic70002

imported post

In the end he will blame the Attorney General and his advisors for "misreading" the bill.

Or apologize and say if had understood the bill he would have vetoed it, but too late, sorry Charlie.

Guess he's just too busy trying to secure a cabinet spot in Hussein's administration.

Repeater

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I plan on attending the Ashburn "Meet the Gov" forum on Monday. I urge anyone else attending to review the questions and responsesofGov Kaine and craft questions that are different, or cannot be answered the same way. I've noticed that the same question keeps coming up which elicits the same canned response from Kaine.
Change the question. Ask Kaine why it's OK with him for Commonwealth's Attorneys to bring dangerous weapons to elementary schools.

Why, that could endanger the children. :(