• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any experience OC in Fort Knox area (Radcliff/Elizabethtown)

mnormand

imported post

I was just curious if anyone had any expierence OC'ing in the Fort Knox area. I've read up plenty of Louisville. I'm hoping that they are a little better south of there. I'll be moving up to Fort Knox next month and I plan on OC'ing just about everywhere, minus Fort Knox itself, if I have the time to put up with harassment. Thanks.

lasertech

imported post

I spent 12 years living in Radcliff or stationed on Ft. Knox and I can only recall ever seeing one person going around OCing and the Radcliff cops did used to hassle him about it. That was 10+ years ago now, so your milage may vary.

My parents still live in Radcliff, so I'll fire an email off to my dad and ask him.

warman1

imported post

I was out at the mall saturday while OC and was asked by a police officer, who i was with, meaning what dept. I told him no dept, just doing my duty as a citizen. He then said i needed to take my gun to my car or face a charge of disorderly conduct. I said i was perfectly legal, he said to do as instructed or be arrested . So we left, what do u guys think should have happened?

warman1

imported post

Mnormand... If u plan on OC in Etown or Radcliff I can just about promise you that the cops will be called and you will get harrased! They keep saying its legal to OC around your property but not in public where it causes other people to be concerned about a man carrying a gun. If the gun is in a holster , why are people stressed out about it. More people need to OC so society becomes used to it . Im personally tired of the police HARASSING us about a law that is legal .

mnormand

imported post

I agree 100%. I'm gonna do it and I've been slowly gaining more people around Knox that I know CC. We are going to start going out and about OC now. We'll deal with this one day at a time.

warman1

imported post

Yes... we really need to start making an issue out of this , I open carried for a while before I had any trouble . I called the state police about this they said , you are legal as long as the gun is not concealed. He then went on to say that there are alot of LEO s that dont know about OC and should always have LEO call one of their sups to verify that OC is legal. State police were very supportive . I just dont know is im ready to be arrested to get my point across. I actually live in ETOWn by the way. Good luck mnormand!

janda1218

imported post

i've been stalking around the forum for a while. i open carry from time to time in the Ft. Knox area. I went into Payless Shoes yesterday. My wife just quit working there, we are friends with all the employees, but managment bites the big one. I went in, said HI to our friends, had my .45 on my hip. Everyone was cool until the manager walked out of the back room. She flipped. She immediately called the cops, and i could hear the convo. as she frantically whispered (not too quietly) about a man with a gun in her store :banghead:. I expected this to go badly, but she then said its in a holster and he is not playing with it or pointing it. He then calmly told her its perfectly legal and she can't do anything about it. After this she says, Jeff why do you have a gun in my store, i replied thet i always do, and it is my right and as a soldier, and citizen i plan to excersize my rights. She says in response It is company policy no guns are allowed in the store, i said thats fine, and told her it would be in their best intrest to place a sign out front stating that. No sign, not federal or a school, and its legal. She called Corporate, and they are now sending the NO DEADLY WEAPONS signs to ALL Payless stores in our area for sure. They just lost a customer, i'd like to know your thoughts.

N00blet45

imported post

According to Kentucky state law and court precedent signs do not make it illegal to carry onto the premises. It only becomes illegal to carry once the manager asks you to leave and you don't, then it is trespassing. You should consider signs an early warning and expect to be asked to leave when you see them.

If I were you I'd stop shopping at payless. If they don't like law-abiding citizens exercising their constitutionally guaranteed rights then screw them. I'd prefer to go without shoes than to buy them from a store that requires me to be a victim.

Radisma

imported post

I live in Brandenburg but i work in Radcliff. Ive never actually open carried there but the few people ive talked too and the one officer ive talked to pretty much everyone is of the assumption...

"Well if its OC'ed its illegal you HAVE to conceal it"

So yeah i think its stupid. I still OC in Brandenburg and Radcliff and im 20 ( will be 21 in july ) so ill continue to do so until a LEO gives me to much trouble about it.

phrrent

imported post

I love near vertrees and I andsome of the neighbors around here oc most of the time. I usually carry conceled when in Etown or any other urban area in the county, now I will have to start open carry everywhere, I will also carry a copy of the state constitution/law and my lawyers phone number, I will go to jail in defense of my legal rights and I will bring alawsuit aginst anylaw enforcment agency that trys to deny those rights to me. As you often here ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Not for me, not for law enforcement.

janda1218

imported post

I open carry anytime that i carry. I feel there is no reason to conceal my sidearm, as long as it remains visable it is a deterrent for others to attempt something in my presence. Concealing also slows my draw time by fractions of a second, but we all know a fraction of a second can be life altering or life ending. I do not currently have a CCL because i am Active duty Army and have only lived in KY for a short while, and am only 22 so i haven't had the opportunity to get one elsewhere, not to mention i was living in Germnay right before i moved here.