• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How does an 18-21 yr old acquire a handgun?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok, I've searched and read, but can't find the answer to this. I have verified that anyone over the age of 18 in North Carolina can own, and therefore carry, a handgun. Obviously you can't purchase one from a FFL dealer until you're 21 due to federal law. So, how does someone between the ages of 18 and 21 acquire a handgun? A pistol purchase permit is required in this state, even for private sales. Can someone between 18 and 21 get a pistol purchase permit without any problems? If not, then how does it happen?

burninsteeda04

imported post

This happens when you have ur parents buy it for you, this is totally legal, just has to be an immediate family member within your household, and you can only oc. I have been carrying for 2 years started at 18. just dont do anything stupid, know the laws.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

In most states, an 18-20 year old may simply buy a gun from any non-dealer in a private sale. See the gun transfer map at the main page - OpenCarry.org.

This idea that the gun HAS to be a gift from parents is not really true, except by exception in say, Pennsylvania, which bans private transfers for handdguns, but exempts intra-family transfers.

burninsteeda04

imported post

depends on your state nc cant do private sales of any kind for handguns rifles shot guns okay. The only way in nc is to get it from say mom or dad. Other than that um black market:cool:. So in all truth might be your state, you can ask a gun dealer, but I would say ask several, also contact atf maybe they can help you.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

burninsteeda04 wrote:
depends on your state nc cant do private sales of any kind for handguns rifles shot guns okay. The only way in nc is to get it from say mom or dad. Other than that um black market:cool:. So in all truth might be your state, you can ask a gun dealer, but I would say ask several, also contact atf maybe they can help you.

You need to cite your claims, because what you're saying sounds really, really wrong.
In most states, an 18-20 year old may simply buy a gun from any non-dealer in a private sale. See the gun transfer map at the main page - OpenCarry.org.
The problem with NC is that even private sales require a pistol purchase permit from the Sheriff, and I'm pretty sure they wont give you one of those until you're 21.

burninsteeda04

imported post

your not understanding and thas cool man, But the thing is cuz I did it.

step 1.You get your parents to go to the sherriff and fill out the purchase permit application, they approve it.
step 2. you recive the permit you give ur parents the cash or they buy it for you, such as a gift.
step 3. you go to the gun dealer with your parents or they go with out you. Then they buy the gun, walk out the store.
step 4. they give you the gun as a gift.
step 5. Be responsible with your new gift.

Now as for if you dont have parents well sadly you will have to wait as there is no way to go around it.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

burninsteeda04 wrote:
your not understanding and thas cool man, But the thing is cuz I did it.

step 1.You get your parents to go to the sherriff and fill out the purchase permit application, they approve it.
step 2. you recive the permit you give ur parents the cash or they buy it for you, such as a gift.
step 3. you go to the gun dealer with your parents or they go with out you. Then they buy the gun, walk out the store.
step 4. they give you the gun as a gift.
step 5. Be responsible with your new gift.

Now as for if you dont have parents well sadly you will have to wait as there is no way to go around it.

First of all, do you know what cite means? Second of all, parents are not involved here, and I'm not asking for myself. I'm asking for general knowledge since I've been asked this question multiple times by various people.

burninsteeda04

imported post

All im saying is this is how it works, bottom line i dont know an exact page that states in in the NCGS. However i have talked to the atf. Otherwise I dont know how you could get it. This is how I did it im speaking from personal experience. no Cite needed. anyways good luck with your endeavors im sorry that i couldn't answer your question throughly.

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

burninsteeda04 wrote:

Yes you can but the person buying from you needs to have a pistol permit just like if he were buying from a FFL dealer.

USNRCorpsman

imported post

If you need to obtain a permit to inherit a handgun, why wouldn't you need one to reccive one as a gift?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

USNRCorpsman wrote:
If you need to obtain a permit to inherit a handgun, why wouldn't you need one to reccive one as a gift?
You DO need one in NC. You have to have a pistol purchase permit to acquire a handgun within the State of NC, period. There are no exceptions.

burninsteeda04

imported post

Thats funny because i acquired my handgun from my parents as a gift. never needed a pistol purchase permit what so ever. Even asked local sheriff, and reputable gun dealer. This is the same concept as going to Virginia and doing a private sale. or now SC. you don't need to have a pistol purchase permit in those states.

So i dont see how you HAVE TO have the pistol purchase permit to aquire a hand gun. Now for a sale i can see that.

Maybe you can enlighten me DREQO

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

burninsteeda04 wrote:
Thats funny because i acquired my handgun from my parents as a gift. never needed a pistol purchase permit what so ever. Even asked local sheriff, and reputable gun dealer. This is the same concept as going to Virginia and doing a private sale. or now SC. you don't need to have a pistol purchase permit in those states.

So i dont see how you HAVE TO have the pistol purchase permit to aquire a hand gun. Now for a sale i can see that.

Maybe you can enlighten me DREQO
Well my information is directly from the Craven County Sheriff's Office. I just called to verify that what I said in my last post was correct, and they said it was. Now granted, I take any legal advice from LEO's with a grain of salt, lol. What county are you in? Iwouldn'tmind calling both offices and clearing things up!

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

burninsteeda04 wrote:
also talked to atf out of new orleans
The feds don't have a problem with it infact that's one of the q&a s on their FAQ page but the feds pretty much can't tell the states that they must allow gifting of firearms without a permit.

I've read though NC firearms laws pretty extensivly but have yet to find any place where it makes an exception for the gifting of firearms to family members w/out a permit. However it dosen't specify that they have to have one either.

burninsteeda04

imported post

Thats kinda where it goes no law stating that you have to have a pistol purchase permit. I also would say that you acquired it through a private sale in another state if questioned.
But Another thing in my opinion is its a PISTOL PURCHASE PERMIT.

Not a PISTOL ACQUIREMENT PERMIT.

I will say this IMHO at some point in time you would probably want to get a transfer done.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I called the UnionCounty Sheriff's Office. I believe I spoke directly with the Sheriff. I asked if a pistol purchase permit was required if a hangun was given to me as a gift. He said yes, because if that firearm needs to be traced, the ATF needs a record of the transaction. :? So then I was going to ask him specifically about someone between 18 and 21. I started the question with "Ok, now I know that according to North Carolina State law, anyone over the age of 18 can possess a handgun..". He stopped me, and said you must be 21. So I clarified, and he said that you must be 21 or over to possess a handgun in NC. :banghead: I told him I didn't have any other questions and ended the conversation.

I just love this crap, don't you? Anyway I still believe that a purchase permit is required, even if it is transfered as a gift. Jeepinbanditrider is right that there's no exception in NC State law.