• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Metal Detector - or not???

Vegas_Dave

imported post

OK, so I realize that places like Best Buy and what not are not using true metal detectors but rather theft detectors.

However, it looks like at my neighborhood Vons (Horizon/Horizon Ridge) are using actual metal detectors.

If this is true, does this mean that I cannot OC into Vons, even though their is not a posted notice of no firearms.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Is it really a metal detector? Or maybe just a bigger, better theft-detecting device? Do your keys and belt buckle set this thing off? I can't imagine they have every customer empty the change from their pockets as they leave the store...

Vegas_Dave

imported post

The detector said something like "Metalguard" or something to that effect. Obviously, my belt and keys do not set it off. So I am not 100% sure of this.

I did not OC there today as I didnt have time should it have caused a problem.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Regardless, the "metal detector" only applies to public buildings, meaning OWNED by the public. Such as libraries. Supermarkets are privately owned, and probably lease the space they occupy.

If it were a metal detector like the airport, it would require trained personnel, and if calibrated like the airport machines, would set off on cell phones (EVERYONE), keys (EVERYONE) and most women's purses.

I don't know what good it would serve?

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I went into the Von's on Russel and Pecos without an issue.

P.S.

http://www.alertmetalguard.com/Home/Alert-MetalGuard.aspx

Vegas_Dave wrote:
OK, so I realize that places like Best Buy and what not are not using true metal detectors but rather theft detectors.

However, it looks like at my neighborhood Vons (Horizon/Horizon Ridge) are using actual metal detectors.

If this is true, does this mean that I cannot OC into Vons, even though their is not a posted notice of no firearms.

Vegas_Dave

imported post

Update:

So I did OC at the Vons on Horizon/Horizon Ridge the other night. As you all helped make clear, the detectors at the door sat silent as I passed through them.

However, I did notice an unusually heavy amount of chatter on the store intercom, but nothing like the typical "cleanup on aisle 5" stuff.

I also did happen to notice 1 particular older male employee following me around the store. He tried to be sly but since I had no clue where the fishsticks were in this Vons, I continued to go back and forth through the frozen foods aisles (btw, they are by the meat counter... go figure). He was quite obviously following me.

Alls well though. He didnt say anything and he was the only one that gave me any noticeable notice. The checkout girl was pleasant as was the kid who finally told me about the fishsticks hiding place!

LEO 229

imported post

Some criminals will hold stolen items over their head and above the chest high sensors to avoid setting the machine off.

I HIGHLY doubt the store is setting up a metal detector as your some clothing and yourkeys are going to set it off every time. And even more so if you bring a cart into the store.

And what happens if you did set it off? Do you wand you and check for weapons?

Cashier says "We need a gun check at main door #1 please! Gun check as Door 1! Thank you!" :lol:

schizrade

imported post

Yeah no metal detectors. They would be going off on everybody. Just theft prevention.

Vegas_Dave

imported post

Yeah. I have OC'd there several times without any problem. Also OC'd in WalMart (Sunset 95) and Best Buy the other day while helping my brother shop for an HDTV.

No problems at all.