• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calling for guns legally on campus

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.wrn.com/gestalt/go.cfm?objectid=E65F9A62-CA7B-1B1A-449ADF44539042A2

Michael Neiduski, Marquette University campus leader of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, says the nationwide group was founded after what he refers to as "4/16" the day of the Virginia Tech massacre. He says the organization believes in going through the proper legal channels in obtaining a concealed carry permit to carry a firearm. He's callingfor the "right"for students to exercise their same license on college campuses.
The lifelong hunter says both his father and grandfather carried concealed weapons back home in Massachusetts. The Marquette Senior says his interest in the issueactuallypreceded the recent campus massacres, when he moved closer to becoming 21, the age many other states require for a conceal permit.
"I started researching it and I was very disappointed that of the places I choose to come to college, I chose one of two states that don't allow concealed carry," says Neiduski.
He also doesn't feel Marquette is the "safest campus" and cites recent incidents of robberies in and around the Milwaukee university.
Students for Concealed Carry on Campus announced last week its membership roster is up to 22,000 people.

Pointman

imported post

Marquette Universityis in a not-so-great area, especially at night.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Yes, education is really important...
He says the organization believes in going through the proper legal channels in obtaining a concealed carry permit to carry a firearm. He's calling for the "right" for students to exercise their same license on college campuses.
I think its too late for Mike of Marquette, because there aren't any legal channels through which a CCP can be obtained in Wisconsin. Maybe he's an out-of-state student.

smithman

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Marquette Universityis in a not-so-great area, especially at night. Hopefully, if concealed carry ever comes up, it will be non-permit, and education programs will be available at no charge.I think education is important because the population density around Marquette is high, and education would go a long way in preventing unintended shootings.
Well said. It is common knowledge that the Marquette area is not so friendly. Times when I visited friends at their house on 13th and state made me wish I was carrying though there were no incidents in the half-dozen times I was there.

It's easy picking on a college campus: at least half the students (under 21) can't even get a permit in states issuing permits, the same students can't buy a handgun, and many colleges outright ban permits and guns on their campus and dormitories.

Good for Mike in calling for guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens on campus, but he confuses a "right" for students to excercise through a "permit". Something which is licensed is NOT a right, but a privledge as someone obtains permission.

Pointman

imported post

As far as college campuses in general are concerned, UW-Milwaukee isn't in the best area, although it's by no means as bad as Marquette or MSOE. Really, what part of the City of Milwaukee is safe?