Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out the new maps on the main page of OCDO: machine guns, gun transfers, college carry, etc.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

State Researcher

Post imported post

I hasten to point out here that while Utah has the proud distinction of standing alone in specifically authorizing carry of firearms on State college campuses, such authorization is pursuant to holding a valid weapons carry permit.

Utah actually goes farther than federal law and includes institutions of higher education in the definition of "schools" for purposes of gun free school zones.

Please do not carry a firearm onto the grounds of a college without a valid permit.

Also, private colleges (including Westminster, BYU, etc) are free to set whatever policy they like regarding guns. Violation of said policy is NOT a crime, in and of itself. But failure to vacate the premises if asked might lead to trespassing charge.

Charles

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_03012.htm

76-3-203.2. Definitions -- Use of dangerous weapon in offenses committed on or about school premises -- Enhanced penalties.
    (1) (a) As used in this section and Section 76-10-505.5, "on or about school premises" means any of the following:
    (i) in a public or private elementary, secondary, or on the grounds of any of those schools;
    (ii) in a public or private vocational school or postsecondary institution or on the grounds of any of those schools or institutions;
    (iii) in those portions of any building, park, stadium, or other structure or grounds which are, at the time of the act, being used for an activity sponsored by or through a school or institution under Subsections (1)(a)(i) and (ii);
    (iv) in or on the grounds of a preschool or child-care facility; and
    (v) within 1,000 feet of any structure, facility, or grounds included in Subsections (1)(a)(i), (ii), (iii), and (iv).

All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Post imported post

I noticed them early this morning, Mike. They look great!! Thanks for the hard work, guys!
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Superb job as always. Just some more things to enjoy and peruse.

Post imported post

California - private transfer of long gun over 50 years old is not prohibited

Post imported post

All reference to PDO(Packing .Org) should be removed since it has been defunct for almost a year.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    All reference to PDO (Packing .Org) should be removed since it has been defunct for almost a year.
    I noted that too.

I find that http://www.handgunlaw.us has excellent CC information and it has become my preferred CC link. It may be a good subsitute for packing.org on the front page.

*I have no personal or business relationship with handgunlaw.us or any of it's owners or staff and offer the suggestion for the sole reason that I have personally found it to be an informative, helpful sight*
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

What am I missing? I looked at Ohio (and some other states) by clicking on it, but I see nothing about machine guns.

Private sales, which are allowed, and which require no notice to be given to "authorities" are not noted as such.

What am I missing?

Post imported post

California College Carry - prohibited by PC 626.95 exemptions include being Licensed to Carry (section 12050) or unloaded in a locked case.

http://law.justia.com/california/cod...26-626.11.html

State Researcher

Post imported post

Nice work, thanks!

Post imported post

BB62 wrote:
    What am I missing? I looked at Ohio (and some other states) by clicking on it, but I see nothing about machine guns.

Private sales, which are allowed, and which require no notice to be given to "authorities" are not noted as such.

What am I missing?
    Did you click on the machine gun map tab?

Post imported post

For some reason I can't edit my previous post.

Corrections:

A locked container IS NOT an exemption for possession on a college campus

I also got the section wrong. Correct one is 626.9

(i) ...any person who brings or
    possesses a firearm upon the grounds of a campus of, or buildings
    owned or operated for student housing, teaching, research, or
    administration by, a public or private university or college, that
    are contiguous or are clearly marked university property, unless it
    is with the written permission of the university or college
    president, his or her designee, or equivalent university or college
    authority, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for
    one, two, or three years. Notwithstanding subdivision (k), a
    university or college shall post a prominent notice at primary
    entrances on noncontiguous property stating that firearms are
    prohibited on that property pursuant to this subdivision.

(l) This section does not apply to a duly appointed peace officer
    as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of
    Part 2, a full-time paid peace officer of another state or the
    federal government who is carrying out official duties while in
    California, any person summoned by any of these officers to assist in
    making arrests or preserving the peace while he or she is actually
    engaged in assisting the officer, a member of the military forces of
    this state or of the United States who is engaged in the performance
    of his or her duties, a person holding a valid license to carry the
    firearm pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 12050) of
    Chapter 1 of Title 2 of Part 4

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    BB62 wrote:

What am I missing?
    Did you click on the machine gun map tab?
    Uh... no.

I'm sorry - I thought the new things were categorized in each state's entry like College Carry, etc. is - not listed as in a "pre state click" manner.

Post imported post

Well, I think there are a couple technical issues with the maps for college carry and restaurant carry in Wisconsin. I'm not aware of any statute that prohibits carry on a college campus, but there probably rules from the campus administration regarding carry.

Secondly, the prohibition of carry in restaurants thatserve alcoholdoes not apply to long guns!
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

Shotgun wrote:
    Well, I think there are a couple technical issues with the maps for college carry and restaurant carry in Wisconsin. I'm not aware of any statute that prohibits carry on a college campus, but there probably rules from the campus administration regarding carry.
    And, so what? We are not tracking college "rules" which are, for state colleges, arguably not enforceable against anybody, especially memebrs of the public.

And again, we don't track long gun carry here.

Post imported post

The "so what" is that the map is incorrect if it says college carry is prohibited "by statute" in Wisconsin. The state should be green, right?
    A. Gold

Post imported post

Thanks for the maps, they're great!

Technically, college campus carry is not against state statues, but doing so will get you expelled/fired. Until someone becomes a good test case in the court system, you can't practically carry on campus. No campus that I know of, private or otherwise, allows carry.

Carry in any establishment that has a Class B alcohol license is prohibited, so Taco Smell or Mc Dongles (the real names are trademarked) is okay, but a restaurant is not.

Both have been covered in other threads under WI. I think the coding is appropriate--it's not really OCDO's job to elaborate on all the niggling problems we face in WI, just that carry in either place will pose significant problems such as arrest.

Post imported post

Shotgun wrote:
    The "so what" is that the map is incorrect if it says college carry is prohibited "by statute" in Wisconsin. The state should be green, right?
    OK, I did not understand your previous objection to John's categorization. John - do you have cite handy for WI college carry ban?

Post imported post

They don't cover all the details yet, but it's a very nice start.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

I don't see why you can't do a state map for "stand your ground" states. That isNOT giving legal advice, just stating the facts about the situation in that state. Some states have statutory stand your ground, some have case law, some are unclear, and some have retreat required. I think that is more important than where you can and cannot carry. What good is carrying if you cannot defend yourself. The following links are not worried about "legal advice", why not make a map?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Doctrine

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/07/us/07shoot.html

http://www.stateline.org/live/detail...ntentId=107276

http://boardreader.com/t/Society_427...w_2262710.html

Post imported post

vermonter wrote:
    why not make a map?
    Well, you could make the map yourself.

Remember, it takes TIME to double-check all the information, color in the states, and make a legend.

You could get the ball rolling by compiling an initial list, even a partial one.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

I'm still waiting for a statutory citation for Wisconsin.... fingers tapping....
    A. Gold

Post imported post

vermonter wrote:
    I don't see why you can't do a state map for "stand your ground" states. That isNOT giving legal advice, just stating the facts about the situation in that state. Some states have statutory stand your ground, some have case law, some are unclear, and some have retreat required. I think that is more important than where you can and cannot carry. What good is carrying if you cannot defend yourself. The following links are not worried about "legal advice", why not make a map?
    The truth of the matter is that each state would need a different color. There's a pretty decent range of permissiveness between "you better have a damn good reason to shoot at all to defend yourself" and "you can shoot anything that moves... and a few things that don't move".

On a more subjective note, it shouldn't be all that necessary to know how permissive self-defense laws are in a location in the United States. If you do everything you can do in order to de-escalate a situation, if you attempt to retreat if possible, and if you life is truly put in grave danger, there are very few jurisdictions that will hold you criminally liable for this.

Not to mention that your self-defense response should be the same regardless of laws in the area you find yourself. Why, ethically, would it be justifiable to use deadly force in one situation, but not justifiable to use it in the exact same situation, but where you might face legal problems? Or the information on the self-defense laws instead used to decide whether or not one gets to shoot a "bad" person? To me, self-defense is self-defense, and if you have to question whether a shoot is good or not, chances are that you shouldn't be making that shoot.

But anyhow, going back to the topic at hand, it would just be very difficult to properly classify states' self-defense laws because they're so varied. It would be like making a map rating how "pro-gun" or "anti-gun" the various states are.

Post imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
    [b]It would be like making a map rating how "pro-gun" or "anti-gun" the various states are.
    Now now, let's not be like the Brady Bunch.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Utah Campus Carry ... obviously a bad idea. Look at all of the school shootings happening in Utah!

Oh ... there aren't any?

Never mind ...

"Never pick a fight with an old spy. If he doesn't feel like fighting he'll just kill you."

T.S. Eggleston, DmAt, MSI - aka The Eggman
    www.TheEggman.com
    www.TheEgglestonGroup.com

"If You Can't Be Free, At Leat Be Irritating"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast