• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Check out the new maps on the main page of OCDO: machine guns, gun transfers, college carry, etc.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

I hasten to point out here that while Utah has the proud distinction of standing alone in specifically authorizing carry of firearms on State college campuses, such authorization is pursuant to holding a valid weapons carry permit.

Utah actually goes farther than federal law and includes institutions of higher education in the definition of "schools" for purposes of gun free school zones.

Please do not carry a firearm onto the grounds of a college without a valid permit.

Also, private colleges (including Westminster, BYU, etc) are free to set whatever policy they like regarding guns. Violation of said policy is NOT a crime, in and of itself. But failure to vacate the premises if asked might lead to trespassing charge.

Charles

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_03012.htm

[font="<!--"] 76-3-203.2. Definitions -- Use of dangerous weapon in offenses committed on or about school premises -- Enhanced penalties.
(1) (a) As used in this section and Section 76-10-505.5, "on or about school premises" means any of the following:
(i) in a public or private elementary, secondary, or on the grounds of any of those schools;
(ii) in a public or private vocational school or postsecondary institution or on the grounds of any of those schools or institutions;
(iii) in those portions of any building, park, stadium, or other structure or grounds which are, at the time of the act, being used for an activity sponsored by or through a school or institution under Subsections (1)(a)(i) and (ii);
(iv) in or on the grounds of a preschool or child-care facility; and
(v) within 1,000 feet of any structure, facility, or grounds included in Subsections (1)(a)(i), (ii), (iii), and (iv).[/font]

Marco

imported post

All reference to PDO(Packing .Org) should be removed since it has been defunct for almost a year.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
All reference to PDO (Packing .Org) should be removed since it has been defunct for almost a year.
I noted that too.

I find that http://www.handgunlaw.us has excellent CC information and it has become my preferred CC link. It may be a good subsitute for packing.org on the front page.

*I have no personal or business relationship with handgunlaw.us or any of it's owners or staff and offer the suggestion for the sole reason that I have personally found it to be an informative, helpful sight*

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

What am I missing? I looked at Ohio (and some other states) by clicking on it, but I see nothing about machine guns.

Private sales, which are allowed, and which require no notice to be given to "authorities" are not noted as such.

What am I missing?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

BB62 wrote:
What am I missing? I looked at Ohio (and some other states) by clicking on it, but I see nothing about machine guns.

Private sales, which are allowed, and which require no notice to be given to "authorities" are not noted as such.

What am I missing?
Did you click on the machine gun map tab?

cato

imported post

For some reason I can't edit my previous post.

Corrections:

A locked container IS NOT an exemption for possession on a college campus

I also got the section wrong. Correct one is 626.9

(i) ...any person who brings or
possesses a firearm upon the grounds of a campus of, or buildings
owned or operated for student housing, teaching, research, or
administration by, a public or private university or college, that
are contiguous or are clearly marked university property, unless it
is with the written permission of the university or college
president, his or her designee, or equivalent university or college
authority, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for
one, two, or three years. Notwithstanding subdivision (k), a
university or college shall post a prominent notice at primary
entrances on noncontiguous property stating that firearms are
prohibited on that property pursuant to this subdivision.

(l) This section does not apply to a duly appointed peace officer
as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of
Part 2, a full-time paid peace officer of another state or the
federal government who is carrying out official duties while in
California, any person summoned by any of these officers to assist in
making arrests or preserving the peace while he or she is actually
engaged in assisting the officer, a member of the military forces of
this state or of the United States who is engaged in the performance
of his or her duties, a person holding a valid license to carry the
firearm pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 12050) of
Chapter 1 of Title 2 of Part 4

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mike wrote:
BB62 wrote:

What am I missing?
Did you click on the machine gun map tab?

Uh... no.

I'm sorry - I thought the new things were categorized in each state's entry like College Carry, etc. is - not listed as in a "pre state click" manner.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Well, I think there are a couple technical issues with the maps for college carry and restaurant carry in Wisconsin. I'm not aware of any statute that prohibits carry on a college campus, but there probably rules from the campus administration regarding carry.

Secondly, the prohibition of carry in restaurants thatserve alcoholdoes not apply to long guns!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Well, I think there are a couple technical issues with the maps for college carry and restaurant carry in Wisconsin. I'm not aware of any statute that prohibits carry on a college campus, but there probably rules from the campus administration regarding carry.

And, so what? We are not tracking college "rules" which are, for state colleges, arguably not enforceable against anybody, especially memebrs of the public.

And again, we don't track long gun carry here.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

The "so what" is that the map is incorrect if it says college carry is prohibited "by statute" in Wisconsin. The state should be green, right?

Pointman

imported post

Thanks for the maps, they're great!

Technically, college campus carry is not against state statues, but doing so will get you expelled/fired. Until someone becomes a good test case in the court system, you can't practically carry on campus. No campus that I know of, private or otherwise, allows carry.

Carry in any establishment that has a Class B alcohol license is prohibited, so Taco Smell or Mc Dongles (the real names are trademarked) is okay, but a restaurant is not.

Both have been covered in other threads under WI. I think the coding is appropriate--it's not really OCDO's job to elaborate on all the niggling problems we face in WI, just that carry in either place will pose significant problems such as arrest.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
The "so what" is that the map is incorrect if it says college carry is prohibited "by statute" in Wisconsin. The state should be green, right?
OK, I did not understand your previous objection to John's categorization. John - do you have cite handy for WI college carry ban?

vermonter

imported post

I don't see why you can't do a state map for "stand your ground" states. That isNOT giving legal advice, just stating the facts about the situation in that state. Some states have statutory stand your ground, some have case law, some are unclear, and some have retreat required. I think that is more important than where you can and cannot carry. What good is carrying if you cannot defend yourself. The following links are not worried about "legal advice", why not make a map?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Doctrine

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/07/us/07shoot.html

http://www.stateline.org/live/details/story?contentId=107276

http://boardreader.com/t/Society_427017/Duty_to_Retreat_vs_Stand_Your_Ground_Law_2262710.html