• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

rifle transportation / storage

Clover

imported post

Hi all :)

I'm trying to figure out the law on this one, and i'm having trouble finding it specified in the Ohio code.

I'm under 21, so handguns are out (even if I could afford one, haha); however, I have contemplated getting a .22 rifle sometime in the next year, just for fun, for target shooting. Probably won't happen, but now that I'm beginning to find other people in the area who like to shoot...you never know.

Here's the problem: I and my car live on campus. Would it be legal to keep a rifle locked in the trunk, and say, keep the ammo in the glove compartment, or something like that?

thanks!

Legba

imported post

By itself, what you describe would be legal, but it would probably also be grounds for expulsion from whatever college you attend. That and someone is inevitably going to try to steal any guns leftin a car unless you can keep this absolutely unknown to anyone else.

-ljp

Clover

imported post

Okay. *sigh* I think I'm out of options now.

But it never hurts to try! :cool:

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Clover, some shooting ranges will store your weapons there for a monthly fee. Might want to call around and ask.

What you describe, rifle locked in the trunk and ammo in the glovebox is legal and great for transporting, but besides being against your schools policies, I would bet it's not legal for the situation you describe re: storage. Cars are too easily broken into and/or stolen. Then you've got a real mess on your hands, especially if it's later used in a crime.

The only time I would recommend storing any gun in a car is when you cannot carry your handgun and must leave it in your car temporarily and even then it should be in some sort of vehicle safe. Since you don't have a handgun, it's not a problem butI've never seen a rifle vault for a car. (Do they even make them?)

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yes, they do, I stand corrected! (but they're still only for transportation, not storage!)

http://www.truckvault.com/

http://youtube.com/TruckVault

truckvault2x350.jpg