• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Worried about OCing in the Olympia mall

Samantha86

imported post

I have been wanting to do this for a while, but I am actually afraid because of the Tacoma mall shooting a couple years ago. People are bound to call the cops, because they have no idea about the laws. Thats the reason I want to OC because I am afraid of others. I guess people think I am a bad person because I am pushing around a stroller with 2 kids in it and carrying a .380 semi auto Bersa on my hip as well. Please, all advice is appriciated. (Also, does anyone want to hang out sometime? I am usually out and about, with not much to do. Let me know.)

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Simply put, don't. The mall has a policy of no guns, even lawfully carried. It's not posted, although they have a tiny little brass plaque that encourages a person to ask for a written copy of the "courtesy guidelines", which explain that any sort of gun is a no-no. It sucks I know, I just stay away. There is nothing there that I need that I can't get elsewhere, and I don't end up supporting an entity that doesn't support my rights.

As far as OPD, they know better (or should by now) about OC. They've dealt with me twice in downtown, the first time resulted in a training directive going out to all officers about OC being legal. The second time they got a nasty letter from my lawyer.

Stay away from the mall, it isn't worth the hassle, and they will just have OPD trespass you.

If you go shopping downtown, I have had no problems OCing at Orca Books, Last Word Books, JavaFlow Coffee (another OCDO member has OC'd at the Starbucks with no probs) Old School Pizza (we even had a dinner there) and Archie McPhee's.

There are a few places I don't OC because of my work and I don't wish to cause friction with the managament of those places, so I couldn't comment on how they would react, and don't want to discuss it publicly.

Anyway if you are asked to leave a place for OCing, just do it. Complain to management later. If you are in a public setting and OPD hassles you, remember YOU ARE BREAKING NO LAWS. Ask them if they have seen the training directive. Then get their names and badge numbers. Ask for a supervisor if you are inclined. With OPD I just end the confrontation, even if it means concealing my gun. Most likely they will disarm and unload your weapon.

In the unlikely event OPD gives you grief in a public place, PM me please. My lawyer will be most interested and that would likely trigger a lawsuit as well.

I've PM'd you with some other stuff.

Euromutt

imported post

Capital Mall (that is its name) is owned by Westfield, a South African conglomerate that has been buying up malls all over the west coast. They also own South Center Mall (Tukwila), and that alone should tell you all you need to know about trying to carry on Westfield property.

It's odd, really. There used to be a time when rich South Africans (which means whites, let's face it) were all in favor of private firearms ownership.

That said, the Tacoma Mall shooting is the one example of a mall shooting that should least predispose people against armed citizens, since one CPL holder (Brandon McKown) actually attempted to stop the shooter, Dominick Maldonado. Where McKown went "wrong" was in erring on the side of caution, wrt to the law and humanitarian compassion, and issuing a verbal challenge ("I think you need to put that gun down, young man.") to Maldonado, rather than opening fire (which he would have been justified in doing, given that Maldonado had already shot several people by that point, and seemed intent on shooting more), thereby giving Maldonado the opportunity to shoot him first, which Maldonado did. Which doesn't make McKown any less of a hero in my book, I might note; even if he struck out, at least he had the stones to step up to the plate.

Mainsail

imported post

The big indoor malls are the last frontier for open carry. I have carried openly in Tacoma Mall, but I wasn’t there long. I have also carried openly in two of the anchor stores, JC Penny and Nordstrom, without being thrown out. A Nordstrom security person asked me to cover (I didn’t) or leave it in the car next time, but I was not asked to leave.

I don’t think you need to worry about being arrested, and it would be in your best interest to study up on Terry v Ohio so that you know what your rights are if the police decide to confront you. You won’t be breaking any laws by carrying in the mall, so the most that could happen is you are asked to leave.

As an aside, with such a little gun it’s doubtful that anyone will even notice it.

just_a_car

imported post

I've OC'd in Alderwood Mall (Lynnwood) without incident/encounter no less than 3 times. Once I was on a long errand and actually visited multiple stores, walked the full length of the mall, passed the food court (where there was a shooting some years ago) and got what I needed; was there about an hour and a half. Another time, I just went into Sears trying to find a part that I'd broken on my Honda's axle (a 32mm socket) and was determined to get Craftsman (made in USA) to ensure that if I broke it again it would be replace no questions asked. The customer service rep was very helpful and I have to think he had to see it at least once in the 15 minutes he helped me (as we walked around a couple times between the computer and the tools dept. and I squated with him a couple times which accentuated my OC).

I've even passed by both security guards and uniformed (couldn't tell if sheriff or PD) officers without incident at that mall.