• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed carry still not answer. The Daily Cardinal, University of Wisconsin - Madistan

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.dailycardinal.com/article/2432

class="storytext"This week the pro-gun rights organization Students for Concealed Carry on Campus announced that it will create a chapter on the UW-Madison campus to lobby for expanded gun rights and concealed carry on the UW-Madison campus. Although we welcome the debate on this issue, we are strongly opposed to placing more guns in the hands of students and faculty members.
Since the Virginia Tech massacre last April, students and administrators at universities across the nation have searched for effective means to increase campus safety and to combat seemingly random acts of campus violence. At the extreme end, groups such as Students for Concealed Carry on Campus have advocated for concealed carry on campus for students and professors. They argue that allowing concealed handguns on campus has the potential to mitigate violent crime. We, on the other hand, believe that a safer campus and an environment more conducive to learning can be reached with fewer guns on campus, not more.
First, concealed carry on campus makes a police officers’ job exponentially more difficult. If concealed carry on campus were permitted, officers would have to realize they may be confronting an armed person in everyday dealings with Madison residents. In the aftermath of a crisis, if a number of students have guns drawn, a police officer must find a way to distinguish good student from bad student.
Further, this heavy-handed approach ignores other sensible measures that schools can take to deal with underlying causes of campus violence or to manage a campus shooting once it has occurred. Campuses should make mental-health or treatment programs readily available to students so the potential for random acts of violence is decreased. Background checks for gun ownership should be strengthened so students with past mental health problems are not given deadly weapons. Many universities have set up campus-wide committees to find sensible solutions. Because of these committees, many schools have established improved emergency notification systems linked to students’ e-mail or Facebook accounts. Other schools have decided to arm their campus police officers.
The motivation driving Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, to increase safety on campus, seems to be pure. Paradoxically, their visceral reaction to the Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois massacres has resulted in nonsensical policy recommendations that could further endanger students and police officers on this campus.

Pointman

imported post

We, on the other hand, believe that a safer campus and an environment more conducive to learning can be reached with fewer guns on campus, not more.
Many universities have set up campus-wide committees to find sensible solutions...schools have decided to arm their campus police officers.
Liberal reasoning at its finest.

Pointman

imported post

http://www.dailycardinal.com/resources/letter_to_the_editor

Pertaining to the editorial on campus carry (http://www.dailycardinal.com/article/2432), it seems obvious gun-free zones don't work. Students need to be able to protect themselves from various types of attacks. Attackers don't put their attacks on people's schedules, so police can only respond after someone, or multiple people, have been attacked. Security does not solve the problem of attacks happening, nor make the aftermath any better.

smithman

imported post

They should watch this video, get a chuckle, and then consider what a gun free zone accomplishes.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S7pGt_O1uM8

With any RIGHT, there comes a RESPONSIBILITY. When I OC (yes I have OCed in Waukesha before) am I responsible for whatever happens with my gun. It doesn't matter where I am or what I am doing.

Finally, anybody who assumes that armed Police will protect the public at all times is living in a dream world or just a flaming liberal. LEOs cant be everywhere. As a responsible citizen, husband, and patriot, I should be my own first responder. When OC in WI is the only way to accomplish this, it is a strong motivator.

XD40coyote

imported post

Campuses should make mental-health or treatment programs readily available to students so the potential for random acts of violence is decreased. Background checks for gun ownership should be strengthened so students with past mental health problems are not given deadly weapons.

What if the mentally unstable students won't go to these programs? They may think there is nothing wrong with themselves, it is everyone else that is wrong and they want revenge for the world ignoring them/rejecting them/whatnot. They may seeth with anger, but like a sick dog do not show this in an outward fashion ( in the dog world, sickness is weakness and weakness will get a dog rejected/driven from the pack, or at least made to live on the margins and be harrassed by the rest of the pack)

As to background checks- what they want the medical records from family doctors probed too, or what? Isn't that a bit intrusive? The same libs will scream about wiretaps being unconstitional, but its OK to probe these type records?

BTW the closer it gets to the VT anniversary, the more depressed I seem to be feeling. It COULD simply be change of season, or that I have to do my taxes still yet!

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Pointman wrote:
We, on the other hand, believe that a safer campus and an environment more conducive to learning can be reached with fewer guns on campus, not more.
Many universities have set up campus-wide committees to find sensible solutions...schools have decided to arm their campus police officers.
Liberal reasoning at its finest.
"believe", "decided", not "reasoning" but a statement of faith - misplaced. Neither naturalism nor super-naturalism militate against guns or reason like liberalism does.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

First, concealed carry on campus makes a police officers’ job exponentially more difficult. If concealed carry on campus were permitted, officers would have to realize they may be confronting an armed person in everyday dealings with Madison residents. In the aftermath of a crisis, if a number of students have guns drawn, a police officer must find a way to distinguish good student from bad student.
The one with multiple firearms is a good place to start, and then you can observe if that person is the one executing the unarmed and/or shooting at cowering or fleeing people. The Daily Cardinal certainly assumes a high level of incompetence of Wisconsin LEO's. Are they privy to information we are not?