• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCU student shot during a robbery

bellbw

imported post

[font="Courier New,Courier,monospace"]From Dr. Trani(university president):

It is with great sadness that I inform the university community of the tragic death this morning of a VCU student.

Richmond Police report that at 1:00 a.m. this morning Tyler J. Binsted, a 19-year old VCU student from Mount Jackson, Virginia, was shot and killed after an apparent robbery. Police say that Mr. Binsted and a female friend were walking in Byrd Park -- about 2.5 miles west of the Monroe Park Campus -- when they were approached by two young African American males, one of whom had a gun. Mr. Binsted and his friend were robbed of the keys to their car. As the victims were walking away, Mr. Binsted was fatally shot in the back. Police say the suspects fled in Mr. Binsted's car, a navy blue Honda Accord with Virginia license plate PHA 787. A broadcast alert has been issued for the vehicle.

I am sure you join me in sending our thoughts and prayers to Tyler's family and friends in this time of great loss. The VCU Counseling Center has been alerted and its services are available to anyone who needs assistance in dealing with this tragic event.

Please be assured that VCU will do everything it can to be sure that those responsible are apprehended and prosecuted. We will keep the community informed of significant events as they unfold.
[/font]

Makes me so damn angry...

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As far as the City of Richmond goes Byrd Park is a very nice neighborhood. Maymont is close by. Very beautiful houses and a few huge mansions are in that neighborhood.

The news reports say they were shot at the tennis courts. Those are very nice courts that sit across from lake with a fountain and paddle boats. The area usually stays lit.

http://www.wric.com/Global/story.asp?S=8076647

http://www.nbc12.com/home/17046426.html

vt357

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
As far as the City of Richmond goes Byrd Park is a very nice neighborhood. Maymont is close by. Very beautiful houses and a few huge mansions are in that neighborhood.

The news reports say they were shot at the tennis courts. Those are very nice courts that sit across from lake with a fountain and paddle boats. The area usually stays lit.
Any "nice" neighborhoods inside the city limits of Richmond are all within walking distance of "not so nice" neigborhoods unfortunately. Byrd park is quite beautiful but other than the fireworks for July 4th I would never be there after dark - much less 1:00 am.

This is just another justification for deadly force when confronted by an armed robber. You should be situationally aware enough to hopefully not find yourself in such a predicament. But if you are caught unawares, you are probably better off risking the draw even while at gunpoint. It's not about shooting to protect your wallet - that can be replaced. Your life cannot be replaced if you get shot in the back even after fully cooperating.

The girl is actually very lucky that she wasn't kidnapped and raped after her companion was killed like what happened near church hill a couple of years ago. Too bad for the victim that he was 19 and too young to get a CHP. Probably wasn't aware of the OC at 18 either.

ETA:

Police are on the look out for two teen suspects last seen driving a blue, 4-door Honda Accord with a Virginia rescue squad license plate.

Sounds like he was an EMT. :(

bellbw

imported post

As far as nice neighborhoods, it doesn't really matter where you are. I mean, people who are going out robbing are going to go to these neighborhoods to do it. You just aren't safe in Richmond. I have had a couple of occaisions where I felt I might end up in a bad situation that I avoided by being aware of my surroundings at all times. I just can't believe they shot him in the back. That is the most cowardly thing to do. Not to mention stupid on their own part...stepped up armed robbery to murder. Surely they will just dump the vehicle and then how are they going to find the guys?

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bellbw wrote:
As far as nice neighborhoods, it doesn't really matter where you are.

True, I mentioned the neighborhoods to make that point, and to give others not familiar with the area an idea of what it's like.

LEO 229

imported post

Just goes to show that you can live in a great neighborhood and still be robbed. Criminals will go where they can find well-to-do victims.

Sad that even after they complied and relinquished all their stuff... one got shot.. in the back!!

Be aware of your surroundings.. and be armed.

hsmith

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Just goes to show that you can live in a great neighborhood and still be robbed. Criminals will go where they can find well-to-do victims.

Sad that even after they complied and relinquished all their stuff... one got shot.. in the back!!

same goes to why people aren't to hot about the metro going out to Reston and Tysons.

Robbing rich people is just a train ride away from inner city DC!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I would bet a full month's salary, before taxes, that the BGs were not African-Americans. In fact, I would bet 3 months salary on that.

And I would bet that the killing was a hate crime, but you're not likely to hear that on the news, are you?

bellbw

imported post

Why do you think its a hate crime? What was the race of the victim?

LEO 229

imported post

hsmith wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

same goes to why people aren't to hot about the metro going out to Reston and Tysons.

Robbing rich people is just a train ride away from inner city DC!
I do know for a fact that criminals drive to VA from DC and MD to commit crimes and then go back. We have caught so many and haveknown of tags reported leaving the scene that were MD and DC.

Criminals thatlast longerare smart to not crap in their own back yards. They go to places they are not known and hit locations that are middle or high income. Then split never to be seen again.... until the next time.

Sa45auto

imported post

bellbw wrote:
[font="Courier New,Courier,monospace"]......Mr. Binsted and his friend were robbed of the keys to their car. As the victims were walking away, Mr. Binsted was fatally shot in the back...... [/font]

How many times have you heard the lie that if you give them what they ask for they will not hurt you?

Always....Always be prepared.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I would bet a full month's salary, before taxes, that the BGs were not African-Americans. In fact, I would bet 3 months salary on that.

And I would bet that the killing was a hate crime, but you're not likely to hear that on the news, are you?
Did you mean that the victim was not African-American?
[font="Courier New,Courier,monospace"]
when they were approached by two young African American males, one of whom had a gun.
[/font]

Richmond police arrested a 17-year-old boy in this morning's fatal shooting of a VCU student at Byrd Park. http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-03-27-0212.html

Once again a 17 year old murderer is a "boy".

Sa45auto

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:

0015.Image.NULL,NULL.300,198,2,NULL,NULL.MGSpooler.img

Howard Reed Scott II
Ok pay up.

XD40coyote

imported post

This area is likley safer than where I lived in Baltimore when I went to college, but the african americans who made up about 99.9% of the crooks in the area, were scared of my dog thank goodness. Maybe I also gave off "warror vibes" or something, plus the ol reaching under the jacket bluffing thing. I'd say cond. orange was my normal street mode back then. I don't know why that little group of youths across the street in the not so well lit area, did not try anything with me- could the dog have been the defining factor? I did indeed stare them down and I am pretty sure I did the ol reaching under the jacket thing. Scary incident that my boldness put me into, but I got out of it. I felt I had the right to walk my dog at night in MY neighborhood, where they did not belong. The boldness and brashness of youth I suppose. Oh yeah, I wore camo alot and dressed kinda weird anyway. The student security boss told me once that I should teach the campus security class for students so they could learn situation awareness and how to deter criminals. 1) have a big funny looking dog 2) dress in camo and weird stuff in general 3) walk like you own the place and are big and bad. LOL

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
This area is likley safer than where I lived in Baltimore when I went to college, but the african americans who made up about 99.9% of the crooks in the area, were scared of my dog thank goodness. Maybe I also gave off "warror vibes" or something, plus the ol reaching under the jacket bluffing thing. I'd say cond. orange was my normal street mode back then. I don't know why that little group of youths across the street in the not so well lit area, did not try anything with me- could the dog have been the defining factor? I did indeed stare them down and I am pretty sure I did the ol reaching under the jacket thing. Scary incident that my boldness put me into, but I got out of it. I felt I had the right to walk my dog at night in MY neighborhood, where they did not belong. The boldness and brashness of youth I suppose. Oh yeah, I wore camo alot and dressed kinda weird anyway. The student security boss told me once that I should teach the campus security class for students so they could learn situation awareness and how to deter criminals. 1) have a big funny looking dog 2) dress in camo and weird stuff in general 3) walk like you own the place and are big and bad. LOL
My mental picture of you is getting more warped as the months pass. :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Sa45auto wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Howard Reed Scott II
Ok pay up.

I'd take that bet any day! I spent way too much time in Richmond.
It is two cities in one. Daylight, it has it's bad areas and very nice areas.

After the sun goes down, they are all BAD. Some worse than others...like the projects. Especially this time of year when it;s getting warm and every project has "The strip".

But every single spot in the city is within spitting distance from somewhere you don't want to be with your gun covered up. Even the Police station is an easy run from Mosby Court, Raven Street,etc.

Whitcomb Court is right on the county line and they run back and forth constantly, staying ahead of the police. The city cops are pretty good about working the bad areas. Henrico County are yuppie cops and won't chase them back into the projects.

With the very rare sections like Sheppard street where there is a small, older white organized crime group, the problems are black. Blacks selling drugs, blacks getting money to buy drugs and blacks looking for trouble.

Unfortunately, most of their victims are also black and that's the sad part. It is very hard for a black child to grow up in the city and not be sucked into the inner city problems.

The NEW victim of choice are illegal Mexicans. They use cash, won't report a crime and are pretty easy targets. I don't feel too sorry for them!

dkd

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:

wtf are you talking about?....did you not read the article?....read, think then type....or perhaps youre just goading?...i would think the latter.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Sa45auto wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Howard Reed Scott II
Ok pay up.

I'd take that bet any day! I spent way too much time in Richmond.
It is two cities in one. Daylight, it has it's bad areas and very nice areas.

...(large snip)...

The NEW victim of choice are illegal Mexicans. They use cash, won't report a crime and are pretty easy targets. I don't feel too sorry for them!

I do feel sorry for "them". I think it is wrong for anyone to violently victimize any other innocent human being. This is one reason I believe strongly in the rightto self-defense. I don't think your life, or my life, or the life of an illegal alien is any less valuable in and of itself. For me, this is one of the most importantaspects of my personal faith - and I am not a particularly religious person.

Somethingserious must be done aboutillegal immigration, but the driving factor is economics - and illegal immigrantsstill havemothers who would grieve at their innocentchilds death.