• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCU student shot during a robbery

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
See my Mar 30, 12:12am post for an edit I made.
I saw it Nepusultra. Your a nice person, and very possibly right!

From her standpoint, she just associates GUNS with violence and wants some peace back in her life....so she attacks the gun. That's not a new story.

OTOH, it is very hard to be compassionate while being maligned in the press.
There's some middle ground somewhere, it's just hard to get to.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Sa45auto wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
dkd wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
I would bet a full month's salary, before taxes, that the BGs were not African-Americans. In fact, I would bet 3 months salary on that.

And I would bet that the killing was a hate crime, but you're not likely to hear that on the news, are you?
wtf are you talking about?....did you not read the article?....read, think then type....or perhaps youre just goading?...i would think the latter.
Well let's see.. I read, thought, then typed. Guess that satisfies your "wtf" criteria.

As for our "friend" in the picture, he is most definitely a black male. And also most likely an American I would imagine. However, unless he was born someplace in Africa then immigrated to America, becoming a naturalized citizen, he is most definitely not an African-American. A black American, yes, but not the other. If that were the case, then I would be an English/Irish/Welsh-American - but I'm not. I am native to this country and to this state. In my entire life, I have only known three African-Americans and one was white. How do you think he faired with all of this BS? And if I were a black American, I would be offended, insulted, and incensed being called an African-American and not just an American. My roots are here, not in some other country or continent.

People by using terms like this we are feeding from the hands of the politically correct and you know on which side of the spectrum most of them sit. They have been quite successful in cramming this kind of nonsense down the throats of Americans along with "assault rifle" when referring to an "ugly/scary" semi-auto rifle, and "dum-dum" bullets, and "gay" for homosexual. They've got a large segment of our side speaking their tongue.

So yes, perhaps I was goading and prodding a little bit - playing a little devil's advocate if you will. It's just that words have meaning and their use should be correct and convey meanings that do not mix or mince words.

There.. that's off of my chest. Hope everyone has a great weekend and OC's all over.

Now I understand your comment.

On one of my better days I may have said the same thing.

I agree with your statement above and I am sorry for my smart remark. You do not have to "pay up".
Thanks. There's a major gun show coming up in two weeks up here (Dulles Expo) and I may need the money (heh, heh).

I'm happy you see my point in all of this. I know why the media and others of similar ilk use these terms. They are afraid of offending blacks and are therefore perfectly willing to use terms which keeps them separate from the rest of the country. I find this very patronizing and even a bit condescending and in the long run, helps no one. It just propagates a stereotype and keeps a dividing line between the two races. Not exactly the goal of an indivisible nation, eh?

I work in a professional environment (I'm a software engineer) and there are black men and women there who are also software engineers. I have only heard one ever use the term African-American and I don't recall the context. He was my manager at one time.. an incredibily intelligent and technical man, but not a very good manager. These men and women do not need some artificial crutch such as affirmative action or quotas to get a job. They are qualified and experienced enough to make their own way. One was a marine and I've worked with him at other shops. I count him as a friend as well as a peer.

My real thrust in my original post is the point I was trying to make about falling into the trap of using terms "invented" (or stolen) by our antagonists to describe things or people. Terms like African-American, which was coined by Jesse Jackson as the term preferred over the then-used Afro-American. And "assault rifle/weapon" which was coined by Josh Sugarman after the 1989 Stockton, California school yard shooting. This term is a perfectly good one and describes a shoulder arm or light to medium power, capable of selective fire. He managed to get it attached to semi-automatic rifles which look like real assault rifles and it stuck. The fact that people within the gun culture use this term to describe semi-autos is something I find appalling. All of this simply means we have managed to pickup terms the other side has fed into the language.

I'll go back into my hole for now.

XD40coyote

imported post

She is clueless, but how old is she? Yes she is young and young means inexperienced, give her a chance to mature, maybe some of these hippy ideals of hers will go the way of the coal fired steamship ( hopefully her ideals will sink like the Titanic, the most famous of the coal fired steam ships LOL).

When I was her ageI thoughtI knew it all, but heck no I did not. Looking back at my old artwork and writings ( I had to half gag and half giggle through some late last night) I was one cynical young thing on the gun issue. Of course the ultra radical scare mongering sounding NRA literature from the time did not help. Then there was the media and their incessant hyping of guns, esp the "assault" weapons. It was the media that made me pay attention to the whole gun issue starting at age 16. The next bunch of years were filled with mixed messages, but the deciding factor for me was the reality of crime and how stupid and scummy criminals can be, and the reality of the Baltimore drug trade and its brutal little thugs. I had to live with that crime looming around me andI lived in fear. It was so oppressive it drove me toa level of insanity. Cond orange daily, esp when walking back from a late class or working late in the ceramics room. There was the shuttle bus of course, but at first they had this driver who objected to my dog ( my Baltmore OC option) which the school allowed me to bring to most classes and buildings ( MICA, art college). I complained and he had to comply after my formal complaints. HoweverI sometimes opted to just walk home, dog along side me. I was never once attacked or robbed or anything, but was menaced a few times, but nothing to call the cops over. But that doesn't mean the fear wasn't there. Constant cond yellow and cond orange wore down on me and drove me to depression problems.

What was my take on carry at the time? I was all for it! However I was under the impression is was illegal most places, and had no idea that OC was even legal anywhere. Yeah, hell yeah, I thought allowing citizens to ccw was a great idea and wished it was allowed in Baltimore. Logic told me that after a number of thugs got shot by their intended victims, that the survivorswould avoid the area thereafter, making for a much safer neighborhood.

I am so happy to have found out all these years later that ccw and OC are a REALITY in most of the USA! Too bad the idiots in my state who decide the laws can't figure it out though. I find it very odd indeed that a hippy infested place like Boulder CO can have some people OCing around town without incident, yet Maryland cannot trust ordinary citizens to pass the muster to get and then use ccw permits. This state has alot of rural land mass and conservative gun owners, and a very pro hunting/trapping DNR, yet due to a few urban "progressive" centers, the citizens are sitting ducks outside their homes. YesI have been to Boulder, and the place was full of druggie weirdos, plus in later years I have read of the animal rights element and the "love" of teen jogger eating mt lions. My thoughts are Boulder is akin to Takoma Park MD, a hippy love infested suburb of DC ( egads andI was born there!).

SouthernBoy

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
She is clueless, but how old is she? Yes she is young and young means inexperienced, give her a chance to mature, maybe some of these hippy ideals of hers will go the way of the coal fired steamship ( hopefully her ideals will sink like the Titanic, the most famous of the coal fired steam ships LOL).

When I was her ageI thoughtI knew it all, but heck no I did not. Looking back at my old artwork and writings ( I had to half gag and half giggle through some late last night) I was one cynical young thing on the gun issue. Of course the ultra radical scare mongering sounding NRA literature from the time did not help. Then there was the media and their incessant hyping of guns, esp the "assault" weapons. It was the media that made me pay attention to the whole gun issue starting at age 16. The next bunch of years were filled with mixed messages, but the deciding factor for me was the reality of crime and how stupid and scummy criminals can be, and the reality of the Baltimore drug trade and its brutal little thugs. I had to live with that crime looming around me andI lived in fear. It was so oppressive it drove me toa level of insanity. Cond orange daily, esp when walking back from a late class or working late in the ceramics room. There was the shuttle bus of course, but at first they had this driver who objected to my dog ( my Baltmore OC option) which the school allowed me to bring to most classes and buildings ( MICA, art college). I complained and he had to comply after my formal complaints. HoweverI sometimes opted to just walk home, dog along side me. I was never once attacked or robbed or anything, but was menaced a few times, but nothing to call the cops over. But that doesn't mean the fear wasn't there. Constant cond yellow and cond orange wore down on me and drove me to depression problems.

What was my take on carry at the time? I was all for it! However I was under the impression is was illegal most places, and had no idea that OC was even legal anywhere. Yeah, hell yeah, I thought allowing citizens to ccw was a great idea and wished it was allowed in Baltimore. Logic told me that after a number of thugs got shot by their intended victims, that the survivorswould avoid the area thereafter, making for a much safer neighborhood.

I am so happy to have found out all these years later that ccw and OC are a REALITY in most of the USA! Too bad the idiots in my state who decide the laws can't figure it out though. I find it very odd indeed that a hippy infested place like Boulder CO can have some people OCing around town without incident, yet Maryland cannot trust ordinary citizens to pass the muster to get and then use ccw permits. This state has alot of rural land mass and conservative gun owners, and a very pro hunting/trapping DNR, yet due to a few urban "progressive" centers, the citizens are sitting ducks outside their homes. YesI have been to Boulder, and the place was full of druggie weirdos, plus in later years I have read of the animal rights element and the "love" of teen jogger eating mt lions. My thoughts are Boulder is akin to Takoma Park MD, a hippy love infested suburb of DC ( egads andI was born there!).
Have you ever considered moving to Virginia? Since we're right next door to Maryland, it might be in your favor as we think a heck of a lot different here than those in the Maryland state house do.

Marco

imported post

I did note your response.

It still has NO PLACE IN THIS FORUM THREAD.

His race, ethnic background didn't make him kill this young man, the fact that he is a dirt ball criminal did.

Your definition is nice but it is just your opinion.
Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-American

What is on topic...

Schools disarm students/employees for safety, thus making those same people helpless victims.

If this was a hate crime as you suggest we will probably never know, unless the killer admits he killed this YM for no other reason.

If you would like to discuss race, ethnic issues I except PM's.

LEO 229

imported post

It makes no difference what color someone is... this does not cause people to kill others.

We have people from all walks of life that will kill you at the drop of a hat. Some people are just born evil and they will do what they will.

Some may be exposed to crime at an early ageand this can become a way of life for them. Some are just lazy or hooked on drugs and refuse to actually work.

No idea what this guys story is. What I do know is he is a thug who cares nothing about the life of another.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I did note your response.

It still has NO PLACE IN THIS FORUM THREAD.

His race, ethnic background didn't make him kill this young man, the fact that he is a dirt ball criminal did.

Your definition is nice but it is just your opinion.
Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-American

What is on topic...

Schools disarm students/employees for safety, thus making those same people helpless victims.

If this was a hate crime as you suggest we will probably never know, unless the killer admits he killed this YM for no other reason.

If you would like to discuss race, ethnic issues I except PM's.
I respectfully disagree with wikipedia on this topic. And yes, this topic is, in fact off topic on this thread and for that I apologize for bringing it up. However, it is a bug in my craw that people use terms like this. In my opinion, if you have to qualify your citizenship with a hyphen, you are not an American.

As for the hate crime issue, I was prodding with that one and I have my reasons for doing such. And the thing about "my opinion"? It's not just mine. I can reference some other well-knowns who will back this up, too.

Finally, I could give a rats ass what color or anything else the perp was other than the fact that this type of information is useful for identification and statistical purposes. It he commits a crime, he deserves the consequences of his actions. In this instant case, I hope the bastard meets his maker.

Anyway, back in the hole.

SouthernBoy

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
It makes no difference what color someone is... this does not cause people to kill others.

We have people from all walks of life that will kill you at the drop of a hat. Some people are just born evil and they will do what they will.

Some may be exposed to crime at an early ageand this can become a way of life for them. Some are just lazy or hooked on drugs and refuse to actually work.

No idea what this guys story is. What I do know is he is a thug who cares nothing about the life of another.
Wow, aren't you going off the deep end there a little with the statement, "Some people are just born evil"?

Actually, I completely agree with this. Some people are just flat born bad. They are missing two key elements in the human condition: compassion and remorse. People like this would just as some put a bullet in you as say "hello". One very famous killer once said that, "it was just like shooting ducks in a shooting gallery" about his victims. He made another statement that proves his lack of these two human traits.

XD40coyote

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Wow, aren't you going off the deep end there a little with the statement, "Some people are just born evil"?

Actually, I completely agree with this. Some people are just flat born bad. They are missing two key elements in the human condition: compassion and remorse. People like this would just as some put a bullet in you as say "hello". One very famous killer once said that, "it was just like shooting ducks in a shooting gallery" about his victims. He made another statement that proves his lack of these two human traits.

Which killer said that? I have read or heard that somewhere.

As to me moving to VA, it was once contemplated, but your fish and game dept does not support free enterprise, you need to get that fixed. The issue is that I cannot sell taxidermy mounts of any animal native to VA, unless it was unclaimed by a customer. I make a bit of my yearly income selling furbearer mounts, and the way I saw the VA law, it does not allow it even if you trapped them yourself. My best sellers are red foxes. Hmm yeah, a few counties in VA have/had a ban on fox trapping too.

But either way, I cannot afford to move, I just don't make enough money, seems hunters would rather bring their animals to a man over a woman, or to whoever is cheapest or fastest ( rather than going for true quality). I tried a move to PA and it failed miserably. I now have no money to put into another attempt. Starving artist here! Been doing taxidermy and self employed since 1994. Prices on tanning and supplies just go up up up and the hunters want cheap prices to stay. It doesn't work that way. Add to it overhead like mortgage and the killer heating and electric bills!

You can tell people to move to a better state all you want, but they need a solid job first. But I hear you, seems you VA guys arerather likeable. I always liked going into NoVA over PA when I had a man who drove me places. He was a deadbeat controller though, so he is long out of my life. The taxidermists in PA seem "stuffy" too( no pun), but the MD ones I met at a convention were my kind of people, I assume VA is a similar bunch. Just wild and crazy! One MD taxidermist was telling me about his peice with blue crabs in it, crabs crawling over a (fake)human skull, and how he was barred from entering it in some competition ( prob PA LOL).

PavePusher

imported post

One thing to think about, before wecontinue castigating this young woman for her unfortunate remarks, is that she's just been through one hell of a traumatising experience. I don't know what the (informal)statuate of limitations is, to say whatever first comes to ones' mind after something like that, butin my book she is entitled to at least a few weeks of babbling before we should gently and calmly start telling her directly how and why she is wrong. Andthen be prepared for her to not believe/trust you. In the meantime, calling her names behind her back and vilifying her in publicseems highly counter-productive and pretty distasteful. Empathy doesn't always solve problems, but it sure won't hurt the situation. And doing otherwise will certainly harm our cause.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
One thing to think about, before wecontinue castigating this young woman for her unfortunate remarks, is that she's just been through one hell of a traumatising experience. I don't know what the (informal)statuate of limitations is, to say whatever first comes to ones' mind after something like that, butin my book she is entitled to at least a few weeks of babbling before we should gently and calmly start telling her directly how and why she is wrong. Andthen be prepared for her to not believe/trust you. In the meantime, calling her names behind her back and vilifying her in publicseems highly counter-productive and pretty distasteful. Empathy doesn't always solve problems, but it sure won't hurt the situation. And doing otherwise will certainly harm our cause.
I agree with you in general. However, in this specific case, this young lady's comments are consistent with her history. If we had no knowledge of that history I would agree with you wholeheartedly.

Sa45auto

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
PavePusher wrote:
I agree with you in general. However, in this specific case, this young lady's comments are consistent with her history. If we had no knowledge of that history I would agree with you wholeheartedly.

I quite agree. She is a sheep and she cannot even imagine defending herself. It is as foreign to her as the thought of not defending ourselves is to us.

We can only hope that as she reflects on the brave actions of her friend that she comes to realizes, one day,that a gun in his hand could have saved them both.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
hippy love
lol what's with you and hippies? Hippies haven't existed for 30 years or so.

I don't need to point out that "colorado is full of hippies so it must have lots of gun control" is full of ignorance and illogic.

Once again, I find myself wishing that certain members of this board wouldn't embody the stereotypes used against us by the other side. How can that possibly do us any good?

PavePusher wrote:
One thing to think about, before we continue castigating this young woman for her unfortunate remarks, is that she's just been through one hell of a traumatising experience. I don't know what the (informal) statuate of limitations is, to say whatever first comes to ones' mind after something like that, but in my book she is entitled to at least a few weeks of babbling before we should gently and calmly start telling her directly how and why she is wrong. And then be prepared for her to not believe/trust you. In the meantime, calling her names behind her back and vilifying her in public seems highly counter-productive and pretty distasteful. Empathy doesn't always solve problems, but it sure won't hurt the situation. And doing otherwise will certainly harm our cause.
As much as the woman's comments pained me to read, I am afraid PavePusher here makes an excellent point.

SouthernBoy

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Which killer said that? I have read or heard that somewhere.

As to me moving to VA, it was once contemplated, but your fish and game dept does not support free enterprise, you need to get that fixed. The issue is that I cannot sell taxidermy mounts of any animal native to VA, unless it was unclaimed by a customer. I make a bit of my yearly income selling furbearer mounts, and the way I saw the VA law, it does not allow it even if you trapped them yourself. My best sellers are red foxes. Hmm yeah, a few counties in VA have/had a ban on fox trapping too.

But either way, I cannot afford to move, I just don't make enough money, seems hunters would rather bring their animals to a man over a woman, or to whoever is cheapest or fastest ( rather than going for true quality). I tried a move to PA and it failed miserably. I now have no money to put into another attempt. Starving artist here! Been doing taxidermy and self employed since 1994. Prices on tanning and supplies just go up up up and the hunters want cheap prices to stay. It doesn't work that way. Add to it overhead like mortgage and the killer heating and electric bills!

You can tell people to move to a better state all you want, but they need a solid job first. But I hear you, seems you VA guys arerather likeable. I always liked going into NoVA over PA when I had a man who drove me places. He was a deadbeat controller though, so he is long out of my life. The taxidermists in PA seem "stuffy" too( no pun), but the MD ones I met at a convention were my kind of people, I assume VA is a similar bunch. Just wild and crazy! One MD taxidermist was telling me about his peice with blue crabs in it, crabs crawling over a (fake)human skull, and how he was barred from entering it in some competition ( prob PA LOL).

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday. The killer's name was Perry Smith. He and Richard Hickock murdered four members of the Clutter family in Holcomb, KS in Novemeber 1959. Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood" is the non-fiction novel detailing the crime and aftermath.

XD40coyote

imported post

Thanks southern boy.

Marshaul- when I was in Boulder there were some really strange beggers there, and I have heard plenty from fur trappers about the "hippy" types in Boulder County. I KNOW CO is gun friendly( heck when I was there we drove down some main route and next to the road some people were firing AK's and such at a rocky backstop), but I find it highly strange that the same state that had the citizenry ban nearly all trapping is so gun friendly. It is one of those irony things, wearing a fur coatis likley to ellicit responses galore in Boulder, yet some guy OCingbarely even turns heads?

Now maybe Boulder county has changed in recent years?

And yes there are modern day hippies, they are a lil different yes, but I knew a few in college. They liked the Greatful Dead, wore these poncho things, burned incense,smoked pot, and were anti this and that ( anti war, anti gun, anti hunting/fur, etc), or were too stoned to care about issues LOL. This was early 90's and that was when I was in Boulder as well.I also know 1 old hippy, he still smokes pot ( I am sure of it!)and is a vegetarian, and he and his wife have been into recycling and alternate energies and organic agriculture before it was so trendy.

This is a stupid thing to argue/debate about though, but I'd like to know why trapping is limited to cages only, but OC in Boulder is not vilified by the same people. Fill me in on CO politics please. I must really be missing something.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I am certainly not the person to fill you in on CO politics. I just think you take hippies too seriously. Hippies haven't been a serious political force since the Vietnam war ended. Most of the people you're referring to are likely just peaceable individualists, as are many of the members here (not that most of the members here would be confused for hippies).

Some of them are anti-gun, but many of them are just anti-excessive-government, which I think you'll find is a common sentiment on this board. ;)

I guess all I'm saying is real hippies don't really have much to do with gun politics these days. Today, long-haired pot-smokers are, often as not, libertarians and NOT hippies, and many of them I think you'd find a bit more amenable to private gun ownership and carry than you apparently think.

The main reason I brought it up is that it's a common stereotype, in the minds of "progressives" and others, that "ignorant conservatives" will refer to anybody "on the other side" as "hippies" etc, despite the fact that anybody could tell you there aren't many real hippies left (listening to the grateful dead doesn't cut it).

Put it this way, the "hippy" to your "conservatism" is the "gun-nut" to their "progressivism." Those terms are stereotypes intended to be divisive and they have no place in serious conversation, IMO.

It's more partisan bullshit. Instead of furthering the "us vs them" mentality, we need to realize that we are all in the fight to preserve our rights against power-hungry government together.

XD40coyote

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Well, I am certainly not the person to fill you in on CO politics. I just think you take hippies too seriously. Hippies haven't been a serious political force since the Vietnam war ended. Most of the people you're referring to are likely just peaceable individualists, as are many of the members here (not that most of the members here would be confused for hippies).

Some of them are anti-gun, but many of them are just anti-excessive-government, which I think you'll find is a common sentiment on this board. ;)

I guess all I'm saying is real hippies don't really have much to do with gun politics these days. Today, long-haired pot-smokers are, often as not, libertarians and NOT hippies, and many of them I think you'd find a bit more amenable to private gun ownership and carry than you apparently think.

The main reason I brought it up is that it's a common stereotype, in the minds of "progressives" and others, that "ignorant conservatives" will refer to anybody "on the other side" as "hippies" etc, despite the fact that anybody could tell you there aren't many real hippies left (listening to the grateful dead doesn't cut it).

Put it this way, the "hippy" to your "conservatism" is the "gun-nut" to their "progressivism." Those terms are stereotypes intended to be divisive and they have no place in serious conversation, IMO.

It's more partisan bullshit. Instead of furthering the "us vs them" mentality, we need to realize that we are all in the fight to preserve our rights against power-hungry government together.

Ahhh, ok I see what you are talking about. I guess all my years at trappers boards got the term of "hippy" entertwined with animal activists as a type of "hippy". Unfortunatly, the animal activists do have some power, these are the "hippies" I am refering to.

The older hippy guy I know is sooo laid back that he I bet he would agree guns are OK LOL, but his sharp minded wife might things guns are baaaaad. I don't know, never asked them their veiws on guns and 2A before, haven't even seen them for a good long while now, they are very busy.

I do know a guy who would probably fityour hippy profile and he is VERY pro gun and will be buying an XD40 soon because he likes mine.I think he sees the dark clouds of Obama and Hillaryism looming way too close, and wants a handgun before the restrictions get even worst. Use- home defense, that's what he told me. He realizes shotguns and rifles don't cut it in close quarters. We have talked hours about crumbling society, corrupt gov't, stupid people, and how the Indians lived way back. Soon we will do some braintanning together, as he likes anything to do with Indian/indigenous woodcraft and survival. He already has a g-f though.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Obama and Hillary would scare me no matter who I was. :D

I was thinking of the particular case of a very good friend of mine. This friend, who grew up in Virginia but now goes to school is Boston, has become very clean-cut and professional as the years pass. When he comes to visit, he is always one of those who is more amused by than he is outright supportive of OC. On the other hand, his cousin, who grew up in Colorado but comes to visit Virginia occasionally, seems all the world like a hippy. Dreads, pot-smoking, grateful dead-listening, you name it. When this cousin first comes over to my house, he is really curious about OC. After a few minutes of conversation, it turns out that he has an incredibly positive attitude about the whole thing, despite his previous ignorance of any aspect of OCs legality.

Now, that's not to say the native Virginian is negative. However, if I had to pick one of them to depend upon for a pro-carry vote, I would probably pick the Coloradan, despite his "hippy-esque" appearance.