• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I 64 Sniper, NOT again

Texaschl

imported post

Thursday, March 27, 2008
foxnews_story.gif

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — Virginia State Police were hunting Thursday for a sniper or snipers suspected of shooting at motorists along Interstate 64.
A 20-mile section of the major highway was closed overnight and into the early morning hours as officers pursued the gunman — but has since been reopened.
State police said that at least four cars were struck by bullets along an 11-mile stretch of the highway Wednesday night. A Virginia Department of Transportation vehicle was found with bullet holes near an exit for I-64 along Route 250, FOX News has confirmed.
The freeway was shut down between about midnight and 6 a.m. Thursday, and Albemarle County Schools were closed, according to the district's Web site.
State Police Sgt. David Cooper said two people reported injuries and went to hospitals in Staunton and Waynesboro. He said neither person had life threatening injuries and he didn't know if the victims were struck by a bullet or by glass.
Cooper did not know what time each shooting occurred, but said the first call came in about midnight.
I-64 was closed from 12:10 a.m. to 6 a.m. from mile marker 96 in Augusta County to mile marker 118 in Albemarle County and VDOT set up Route 250 as a detour.
Cooper said police closed a long stretch of the interstate to gather evidence. He said investigators are closely checking several interstate ramps near the shootings, as well as wooded areas near the shootings.
State police were holding a presser at 10:30 a.m. EDT Thursday, when they said they'd have updates on the case.
The Associated Press contributed to this report

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Change the work sniper to vandal, or thug. Snipers are disciplined. These pieces of sh** were shooting at moving cars.

bohdi

imported post

I hear ya Thundar. It's in the post as well, copying the lead from the AP

The Associated Press
Thursday, March 27, 2008; 11:40 AM

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Police in Virginia are searching for suspects in a series of overnight highway shootings on Interstate 64.

The shootings prompted authorities to shut down a 20-mile stretch of the interstate between Charlottesville and Waynesboro for nearly six hours. Two cars, a van and a tractor-trailer were hit and two people suffered injuries.

Col. Steven Flaherty says police think the shooter or shooters may still be in the area, and police plan to watch the road more carefully. Authorities are telling drivers to be observant but say they don't need to avoid the road.

Police think the bullets used in the shootings were all of the same caliber, but say they can't be sure until forensic tests are completed.

I canhear it now, plenty of redneck drunken remarks by the anti's

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm not sure if I would be happier if these criminal acts are being performed with a "hunting/sporting" rifle or with an EBR. Either way, just more fodder for the antis.

Let's hunt down this "sniper" and feed him/her into a wood chipper feet first, televised on network television at primetime, to discourage this type of mass anti-social behavior in the future.

Sa45auto

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I'm not sure if I would be happier if these criminal acts are being performed with a "hunting/sporting" rifle.......

I agree but the anti's have it covered as that would be a "sniper rifle" as compared to the "assault rifle".

If the idiot is using a .22, then it is an "assassin's rifle"

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Has the county lieutenant of Albemarle County called for a muster of his men? Allow the local militia to muster to account for all the people and if the sniping continues send out the men on patrols. If it becomes too much for them, send word out to the county lieutenants of the neighboring counties to forthwith assemble their men and send them out.

http://www.virginia1774.org/Thomas Jefferson 1770 Militia.gif

Glock27Bill

imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
Has the county lieutenant of Albemarle County called for a muster of his men? Allow the local militia to muster to account for all the people and if the sniping continues send out the men on patrols. If it becomes too much for them, send word out to the county lieutenants of the neighboring counties to forthwith assemble their men and send them out.

http://www.virginia1774.org/Thomas%20Jefferson%201770%20Militia.gif
I was thinking the same thing. Should be easy enough to muster enough folks to patrol this stretch of highway and put an end to these creeps.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sa45auto wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
I'm not sure if I would be happier if these criminal acts are being performed with a "hunting/sporting" rifle.......
I agree but the anti's have it covered as that would be a "sniper rifle" as compared to the "assault rifle".

If the idiot is using a .22, then it is an "assassin's rifle"
Quoted for truth.

Clover

imported post

Interesting thought about MS-13.

At least where I live--southern NOVA--we've started having problems with them in the past few months, although all i've heard about were guys trying to abduct girls out of local parking lots. (Hence why I get ticked about not being able to get a ccw.)

The militia idea is a very good one! If the gun-toting people there are anything like the ones I know, they'd have whatever dope who did this caught pretty darn fast if he tried it again.

ChinChin

imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:

Oh for simpler days, when the locals would simply grab their long arms and state "why bother the city officials. . .we'll remedy this ourselves."

Now a days, you'll have all the whiny nanny-state wanters grabing their sprogs and holding them tight, for there are civic minded citiznes taking charge. . .AND THEY ARE ARMED (gasp.)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:

Good luck ! I tried that with the original sniper when he hit Ashland. I haver never heard so many excuses in my life...I might get in trouble, I have to work, let the Police handle it, I hear my mother calling.:X

72Malibu

imported post

I heard about this when I got into work at 3pm today. Scary stuff. At least I don't have to go that way to go homebut I do know of a lot of people who drive to and from work that way with little alternative.

I heard a lot of people around here saying that they will be taking "precautions" on their way home.... whatever that means. Unless you take an alternate route (and even then you're not guaranteed not to be shot at), how in the heck is anybody going to see someone hidden with a rifle in the woods along the road when half these people can't see deer right alongside, or can even find their turn signals when they want to merge.

I agree with the call to locals to do patrols. Unfortunately, I think that the legal liabliities will probably prevent anything like that from happening.

What's scary to me is that I'm going to be going home after work at about midnight tonight... they may pick a different route out of C'ville to hit.

Tomahawk

imported post

72Malibu wrote:
I heard a lot of people around here saying that they will be taking "precautions" on their way home.... whatever that means.
Anyone remember seeing people doing "gator squares" across parking lots during the DC sniper scare? People were varying the speed of their walks and making erratic movements, and at gas pumps people were trying to remain between pumps and vehicles.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Let's not forget that Governor Tim Kaine has the power to do just as was stated, to order the militia (composed of the body of the people) to duty. I wonder if he will do the right thing or just wait for the police to find that White Chevy work van? Did they ever find that thing during the last sniper attacks? Or did more people die? The militia is our ultimate safety.

W.E.G.

imported post

It would take 100 atomic bombs before the government would ever suggest for a second that ARMED citizens take to the streets to head off criminal opportunists such as this.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
It would take 100 atomic bombs before the government would ever suggest for a second that ARMED citizens take to the streets to head off criminal opportunists such as this.
After 100 atomic bombs the government would likely begin disarming citizens in light of the recent violence.
:banghead:

eyesopened

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
72Malibu wrote:
I heard a lot of people around here saying that they will be taking "precautions" on their way home.... whatever that means.
Anyone remember seeing people doing "gator squares" across parking lots during the DC sniper scare? People were varying the speed of their walks and making erratic movements, and at gas pumps people were trying to remain between pumps and vehicles.
Hell, I'm not going to lie I did do that stuff. When pumping gas, I'd put it in automatic, get back in my vehicle and recline the seat as far as possible :shock:. I can laugh about it now, but when the DC sniper stuff was going on, it was scary times.