• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Range Ammo

Silverfox44

imported post

I would like some feedback from the group on the following question.

I havetaken my Kimber Ultra ACP.45 and Glock 19 to the range for the past year.

I have always used BLAZER 45 AUTO 230 GR. FMJ & BLAZER 9mm LUGER 115 GR. FMJ.

I purchase the Ammo from our Police range in Tukwila WA. Prices R around $8.50 per 50 rds for .9mm and $10.50 for .45.

I am sure all have their favorite range ammo but is their a consenious on one particular brand that works the best for the members?

Silverfox44

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Carry ammo or the closest ballistic match. I carry EFMJ and shoot only what is in the magazine on arrival then what ever range ammo I'm using. When I leave the range the magazine is full of Federal EFMJ.
Thank you

smithman

imported post

Winchester FMJ have been very good for me on the range. I started out buying them for 12.99 (100 ct 9mm) 2 years ago. Now its up to 17.99 but still I think the most cost effective.

For self defense I use Remington Golden Sabers, +P 124gr JHP. I really can't tell a difference balistically over 25 yards between the two, though I practice with 115gr Winchesters. But I haven't shot the Remingtons for a while, they are a little more expensive.

Pointman

imported post

Have you looked at the speed consistency and expansion of the Remington Golden Saber rounds?

smithman

imported post

I saw some testing in several places on the internet....expansion was very good on the golden sabers. I don't know if other Remington JHP are the same but probably not. I believe these beat most others on expansion and weight retention.

Silverfox44

imported post

Pointman wrote:
The expansion is inconsistent, but better than most. The penetration is somewhat low, but that's because ofthe light weight. The jacket also has a tendency to separate and fragment, which isn't good, and may cause the round to over-penetrate because it doesn't expand. Accuracy isn't great, but definitely sufficient for a defense round.

Speed seems consistent and fast, expansion is a bit low but good for the weight, penetration is good, the case is nickle plated (helps prevent jams) and multiple waterproofing methods are used. Not a bad round!

http://www.firearmstactical.com/test_data/40sw/rem40-165gs-g27.htm
http://www.firearmstactical.com/test_data/45acp/rem45-185gs+p-g30.htm
http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/golden_saber/

NOTE to casual readers: Realize any negatives have to be taken in context--no bullet is perfect. Finding a "the perfect round" is based not only on the ballistics, but how the cartridge works with a particular gun and shooter.
Thanks for taking the time. Very helpful info.

Dave

GJD

imported post

No offense intended. I just thought that you'd might get more responses in the handgun or accesories forum. This is the WI forum and you are from WA, but it seems like there have been a lot of good responses. :dude:

Pointman

imported post

Hey, that is kind of an odd one! Good point! (And no offense taken.)

comp45acp

imported post

For range ammo nothing but my own reloads-they are much cheaper. 5.3 grains of Bullseye behind a 200 grain Rainier flat point. Very accurate and about the same recoil pulse as my carry ammo-Federal 165 grain Expanding Full Metal Jacket.

smithman

imported post

I got 1000 rounds of 147 grain 9mm reloads...so so accurate at the range. But I stopped using them since they were just so dirty...my gun looked like it had been dragged through the mud after 150 rounds at the range. I found myself cleaning the gun with my rag halfway through my range time! However, Lead reloads can be cost effective but don't work well with glocks. Also not recommended for HKs I believe?

I shoot 9mm since it was my first gun that I learned on. I can shoot it accurate, I can shoot it fast, and my gun is reliable. I haven't tried lots of other calibers so if I'm in a life or death situation I want something I KNOW I can shoot accurate and fast and that I won't experience jams. Though I have also practiced clearing jams, like the dreaded double-feed.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Range shooting and self defense. Two different venues. My choice for range shooting Ruger sp101 in 38 special caliber. For home protection and self defense the Taurus Judge with three inch barrel and loaded with three rounds of 2 1/2 inch .410 buckshot and two rounds of 230 grain 45 long colt.