• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police: Mom shot kids, carried gun on campus

DrewGunner

imported post

Louisville, KENTUCKY (AP)[/b] -- A mother killed her two children Thursday and then went to the nearby college she attended and brandished a gun before handing the weapon to a health counselor, police said.

The threat at the University of Louisville ended with no injuries about half an hour after it began, but police who were then asked by school officials to check on the children found them dead with gunshot wounds.

Gail Lynn Coontz, 37, is charged with killing 14-year-old Greg Coontz and 10-year-old Nikki Coontz, said Louisville police Officer Phil Russell.

Gail Coontz was the armed student, said police Lt. Barry Wilkerson. She is in custody at the University of Louisville hospital but is expected to be transferred to jail, Russell said.

The woman was also charged with one count of terroristic threatening for pointing a handgun at an officer, said university police Maj. Kenny Brown. The woman gave her handgun to a counselor at the health services building, he said.

Police arrived at the building at 8:39 a.m., university spokeswoman Cindy Hess said.

The school sent safety alerts to student phones and cell phones and posted one on its Web site. The campus was not locked down, Hess said.

The two-story red brick home where the children were found is in a middle-class neighborhood. A garden at the home has a statue of two children playing with a bicycle. The neighborhood is about 10 miles south of the university.

The neighborhood is normally quiet, and the neighbors generally know one another, resident Patty Schneider said.

"It just all seems like it's going to be a bad dream and I'm going to wake up from it," said Schneider, who lives across the street. "How am I ever going to look out the front of my house again?"

A next-door neighbor, Sheryl Hayven, said police stopped by her house Thursday morning asking about the family. Hayven said detectives were asking when the children were last seen and whether she had heard anything.

"They were good neighbors," Hayven said. "It's just kind of a shock."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/03/27/louisville.killings.ap/index.html?eref=rss_us

Terroristic threatening...? What did they call it before 9/11?

VAopencarry

imported post

Why do people fukin do that!!! Just kill YOURSELF!!! not your damn kids. Very sad.

Sounds like the Nanny Staters had it all under control, with their emails and text messages.:quirky

conwict

imported post

Disgusting.

What's also disgusting is the media coverage of it...rather than "Surrendered on campus" they lead you to somehow equate her with "Carrying gun on campus"...not ONTO campus, or anything like that, "carries gun on campus." But you can see how the talking heads want you to think about it.

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

That's really gonna help get a law passed in Kentucky so that people can be armed on campus. We should kiss that one goodbye. Goddamn it!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead: I just pray Kentucky doesn't become anti-gun like Illinois, cuz that's where I'm moving to.

conwict

imported post

I wouldn't go that far, I_hate_IL. I mean sure, it may shock a few people who JUST read the headline and already have anti leanings, but I doubt it will tip any buckets--if you get my point.

Personally I find the headline really misleading. I actually thought this lady was someone who CCWed on campus regularly, then killed her kids.

Semantically the headline is just all wrong...it should really say "onto campus," and even then it isn't very informative. It's clearly going for MAX SHOCK VALUE + GUNS ARE EVIL FACTOR. Hardly a wonder some ill-informed, uncritical people blame guns for the violence with illogical headlines like this; can you imagine a headline like:

MOM DROWNED KIDS, CARRIED BUCKET OF WATER ON CAMPUS?

Pointman

imported post

Ever since Heller the media has been digging up every shooting incident they could find if it's bad. Notice there is no coverage of defensive gun usage?

Sa45auto

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Just disgusting. And sad. And vile. Poor kids :(
Yes so true. Some mothers are vile and disgusting, and it is so sad for their victims.... their children. :cry:

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Can someone tell me how this text message thing works?

I take it you're sitting in class...brrriiinng...brrriiiinnnnng....

Everyone's phones simultaneously go off, in the middle of a lecture on IDK...evolution or something and you open your phone and it says what?

"Good afternoon, just thought you should know, there's a murdering bitch on campus, remain calm."

Does it give suggestions like, "You may want to call loved ones now."

"Not religious? Atheist? Good."

or

"It seems someone has chosen to ignore our strict no gun policy. Remember if you give them what they want...they won't hurt you."

swillden

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Ever since Heller the media has been digging up every shooting incident they could find if it's bad. Notice there is no coverage of defensive gun usage?
There has been coverage of defensive uses. For example, the pizza delivery man in
Des Moines and the 60ish year-ol who shot the two young men who broke into his house.

I don't see any evidence the media is slanting things more since Heller; it still seems like they cover everything that is somewhat sensational and maintain a consistent anti-2A slant, coming on strong when guns are used for illicit purposes and sounding very neutral when they're used for self defense.

I think the real situation is that we're just more sensitive to the anti-gun slant since so much is hanging in the balance right now with Heller.

Pointman

imported post

Not only is the national news covering every shooting, but the local news is now covering every shooting throughout th US. The local news is not covering other national news, just shootings. Plus, shootings that would not normally make it to the national news now do, & show up on the local too.

I wonder if the news will convince women they're not safe, and women buying guns will increase.

swillden

imported post

Pointman wrote:
I wonder if the news will convince women they're not safe, and women buying guns will increase.
:lol:

It would indeed be a delicious irony if there were some coordinated attempt by the media to exaggerate gun violence in order to support gun ban attempts, and the result was just to convince ordinary folks that they need their own guns to defend themselves.

I don't buy into the MSM conspiracy theories myself, but it would be very funny and very ironic.

Tomahawk

imported post

swillden wrote:
Pointman wrote:
:lol:

It would indeed be a delicious irony if there were some coordinated attempt by the media to exaggerate gun violence in order to support gun ban attempts, and the result was just to convince ordinary folks that they need their own guns to defend themselves.

I don't buy into the MSM conspiracy theories myself, but it would be very funny and very ironic.

Well, in a way, that's waht always happens. As soon as the words "gun control" come out the mouth of any politician or reporter, gun sales shoot up.

Now if only there were a corresponding increase in RKBA activism, we'd be all set.

possumboy

imported post

FzSBLACKMAGICK wrote:

Everyone's phones simultaneously go off, in the middle of a lecture on IDK...evolution or something and you open your phone and it says what?

"Good afternoon, just thought you should know, there's a murdering bitch on campus, remain calm."

or

"It seems someone has chosen to ignore our strict no gun policy. Remember if you give them what they want...they won't hurt you."
I never understood this either, most professors require phone be off and put away. Especially during tests. So you cannot receive the message if you in class - which is kinda when you would need it.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pointman wrote:
My wife, who does not follow politics, is somewhat left of me politically, and is not a gun nut, asked what was up with the huge amount of shootings suddenly. Not only is the national news covering every shooting, but the local news is now covering every shooting throughout th US. The local news is not covering other national news, just shootings. Plus, shootings that would not normally make it to the national news now do, & show up on the local too. There are so many stories she asked about keeping a loaded gun in the bedroom like we used to.

I have to agree. I have had some emails lately from non-"gun culture" friends in other areas of the country who have commented on the apparent increase in gun violence in the last several months, and I have had a few people raise the same concern locally.

This is a well documented phenomena in the media. Not to many years ago we had an apparent huge increase in child abductions. It was on the news daily. People panicked, laws were passed, it was frequent discussion across lunch and dinner tables nationwide. The problem with that? There was no change in frequency or rate of abductions. The only thing that changed was the media's rate of coverage, and the media covering of similar local news stories nationally. There were a few studies done confirming this phenomena and a few books that discuss it in various ways. It does not seem to be a conspiracy, but rather a self-perpetuating phenomena.

It seems the way it works is some sensational news story about an issue leads to increased ratings, so news departments run more stories on similar events. The increase in the number of stories lead people to think there is an increase in frequency which makes them concerned and more interested. This leads to higher ratings for such stories, leading to more of such stories. It becomes circular and self-perpetuating until viewer fatigue sets in or another issue/event draws the public's attention. It becomes a case of the news driving the events instead of reporting the events. I suspect we see a similar relationship in public shooting incidents, except that there, the perpetrators also become part of the self-perpetuating model which does not seem to be the case with say child abduction.

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

FzSBLACKMAGICK wrote:

or

+1. LMFAO