• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond show this weekend

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Two questions.

Is it worth going (I've never been to the Richmond show).

Is anyone interested in a get-together late afternoon or early evening?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Tess wrote:
Two questions.

It depends on what you want Tess.
For you...maybe. I've always gone to shows for parts. Those days are long gone except for mouse guns.

There are good deals on ammo, sometimes you can pick up a deal on a gun from someone walking around, Dark Sun is there if you can stand being around them, some excellent holsters, a lot of Ninja stuff and junk vendors..

I won't make it to this one, too much work to do at the farm.

eyesopened

imported post

I've been to that one once, and I honestly didn't think it was worth the 1.5 hour drive down. The furthest south I'll go for another gun show is the Fredericksburg show, but that's just me personally.

SFDoc

imported post

Tess wrote:
Two questions.

If you decide to come down Sunday monring, stop by VCDL's booth and say hi - this is the first time the wife and I will be goinig to this one. So we don't have any info. on it. Would like to meet you and yours and get together for either a late lunch or early dinner.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tess,

The Richmond gun shows are just like all other gun shows. There are good deals if you can find them and they are on items you are interested in. There are characters to observe and comment on. The beef jerky & hot sauce folks give out decent-sized samples. We have old coin/watch tables, but not too many. On the downside, there are very few beanie baby vendors, and you might feel there are too many fantasy swords being displayed.

Susan (I got you to talk with her at Fosters) and I are planning on going Saturday around 3 PM, so a meet-up and dinner would be a real possibility. If we do not stay too late you might like to stop by Dominion Shooting Range for a chance to spend all the $$ you did not get rid of at the show - $35 to rent full auto with 2 magazines.

PM me if interested in meeting, dinner afterwards, and/or shooting full auto.

SFdoc - I'll probably see you Sunday. Welcome to the fun.

stay safe.

skidmark

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

skidmark - pm on the way

SFDoc - another time, I guess. Traffic from Richmond north on a Sunday is much worse than on a Saturday most weeks, and this was spring break for many, so it'll be heavier. We're planning to go Saturday.

SFDoc

imported post

skidmark wrote:
SFdoc - I'll probably see you Sunday. Welcome to the fun.

stay safe.

skidmark
Thanks for the invite - :cry:but sadly will be cutting down a couple of trees, weather permitting - see ya then

Tess wrote:
skidmark - pm on the way

SFDoc - another time, I guess. Traffic from Richmond north on a Sunday is much worse than on a Saturday most weeks, and this was spring break for many, so it'll be heavier. We're planning to go Saturday.
No problem, maybe next time - take care

mercutio545

imported post

I'm going.... mostly because it's a good 5 minutes away from me. I usually like the Va Beach one better, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
I'm going.... mostly because it's a good 5 minutes away from me. I usually like the Va Beach one better, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.
Well, look for the family of 3 in OCDO polo shirts. If you see us, feel free to approach :D

doug23838

imported post

BIG Disappointment.

wow.. I knew something was up when the parking lot wasn't jam packed.

Not all the vendors showed up. Lots of empty floor space. Not a big crowd either.

Georgia Arms not present. Dark Sun not present. Don't remember seeing Rabbit Ridge there.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

doug23838 wrote:
BIG Disappointment.

wow.. I knew something was up when the parking lot wasn't jam packed.

Not all the vendors showed up. Lots of empty floor space. Not a big crowd either.

Georgia Arms not present. Dark Sun not present. Don't remember seeing Rabbit Ridge there.
There are two other large gun shows in the area this weekend and that is why they were short on vendors (Charlotte and Hampton).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hmmmm. I played hooky and didn't plow my corn plots and went to the show in Richmond. I felt like the Maytag repair man.

Sooooo we drove to HAMPTON. Darn good show. I found a couple of holsters I was looking for.

I stopped by the VCDL table and chatted. Damned if the ATF hadn't set a table up right next to them. There goes the neighborhood,:lol:

Why would the ATF set up a table anyway. To recruit some of the blackshirts:celebrate??

While I was at the VCDL table, a fellow came up raiseing hell about them making him unload and ziptie his carry weapon. Said it was City Property. VCDL tried to explain the show rented it from the city but he didn't want to hear it.

When will people learn...If you don't want to be disarmed, don't show it....Geeeeze

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

agree it wasn't much of a show. Kinda reminded me of Dale City.

It was nice to meet some Richmond VCDL folk (I stopped at the table and introduced myself) - and we had a nice dinner meeting afterward with VCDL President, Skidmark +1, and Grapeshot. That part of the day was nice.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tess wrote:
agree it wasn't much of a show. Kinda reminded me of Dale City.

It was nice to meet some Richmond VCDL folk (I stopped at the table and introduced myself) - and we had a nice dinner meeting afterward with VCDL President, Skidmark +1, and Grapeshot. That part of the day was nice.

Yes, the show was small. On the other hand, there were some specialty vendors (curios and relics - and I do mean *relics* :lol:) with stuff one does not normally get to see. I'm not a BP shooter, but there were some fascinating N. African flintlocks with exquisite inlays, and several vendors with 17th, 18th & 19th century knives with provenance (documentation as to previous owners and/or maker) along with two samples of modern steel-makers that caught my eye.

Grapeshot had fun eyeballing the place looking for magazines for his newest acquisition. All he got was a sore eyeball. The Lady Friend got a book and some leathergoods (no - not a holster, but we are working on her). I especially want to thank all my VCDL friends who worked so hard to make sure I did not loom at anybody - will I ever live down that MMM-PEG demonstration?

Tess & family were given the special city tour on the way from the Fairgrounds to Buz & Ned's on the Boulevard. I thought they would feel better having OC'd all the way to Richmond if they got the chance to feel it was "a good thing we did". They also got to find where to bring their motorcycle that needs repairs, and a great landmark - right across the street from where we ate.

Best part of dinner was when the Richmond PD officer (she can't be a real cop - she was waaay to young -- or am I just getting to be "that age"?) stuck her head in while we were waiting in line to place our order. Our guess was she was hoping to get a bite to eat but was disappointed at seeing the long line. She ignored 5 armed citizens in line and Tess sitting outside holding a table for us. That's how things ought to go. Other folks there were squeezing in & out between us getting their orders or drink refills, all without any comment on the fact that we were ARMED.

So now I guess we will have to think about arranging meet-ups at/after gun shows as well as our monthly dinners. That is a good thing.

stay safe.

skidmark

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We did get looks ... a number of them, but not even wide-eyed looks. Just noticing. I was a little surprised at that; often I don't even see that.

I did get one comment as I returned from the restroom. A man stopped me and said "Nice weapon. Is it a Glock?" If he knew anything about guns, I don't think he could possibly have asked - I took it that he just needed a way to compliment me on carrying. After a few pleasant words, I continued on my way.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

skidmark wrote:
Tess wrote:
Best part of dinner was when the Richmond PD officer (she can't be a real cop - she was waaay to young -- or am I just getting to be "that age"?) stuck her head
skidmark
I think your getting old Skidmark.:lol::lol:

If it makes you feel any better, they are starting to look like children to me too!:uhoh:

Buz & Ned's on the Boulevard
Where is that Skidmark?
I assume the motorcyclr place is Velocity, but I don't recall the Restaurant.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

skidmark wrote:
So now I guess we will have to think about arranging meet-ups at/after gun shows as well as our monthly dinners. That is a good thing.
That is a pretty good idea, Skidmark. There are always a bunch of VCDL and OCDO people at any VA gun show, and maybe even some newbies who'd like to go for their first OC meal with us. It would be a good way for some of us to meet other members, too. I never get to the Richmond dinners in the evening because its quite a drive from Tidewater. I do get to some of the Richmond shows however, and would enjoy hanging around to go to lunch/dinner with some of the central VA people.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

I went back to Buz's restaurant tonight. I parked next to a RPD police car and went in open carrying as per state law. The officer was in line in front of me. We acknowledged each other and that was that - just as it should be. Another uneventful open carry experience, as 95% of them are. :?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

peter nap wrote:
skidmark wrote: I think your getting old Skidmark.:lol::lol:

If it makes you feel any better, they are starting to look like children to me too!:uhoh:

Where is that Skidmark?

Buz & Ned's is across the street from Velocity, just north of the car wash. Can't be 200 feet from the front door of one place to the front door of the other.

Guess you might be getting oldster's eys yourself, Peter. :D As well as geezer's fingers being the possible explanation for motorcyclr ? :what:

I may be getting old, but that's just proof I've figured out how to survive.

Post when you are coming to the next show. We'll set up a lunch meet, and maybe get some take-out orders from the folks working the VCDL table who cannot get away.

stay safe.

skidmark

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

skidmark wrote:
peter nap wrote:
skidmark wrote: I think your getting old Skidmark.:lol::lol:

Where is that Skidmark?

Buz & Ned's is across the street from Velocity, just north of the car wash. Can't be 200 feet from the front door of one place to the front door of the other.

Guess you might be getting oldster's eys yourself, Peter. :D As well as geezer's fingers being the possible explanation for motorcyclr ? :what:

I may be getting old, but that's just proof I've figured out how to survive.

Post when you are coming to the next show. We'll set up a lunch meet, and maybe get some take-out orders from the folks working the VCDL table who cannot get away.

stay safe.

skidmark

Thanks Skidmark.
Yep, time marches on and is showing itself more every day. I could have sworn I was still 20 though...40 years ago:cuss:

motorcyclr

Latin :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: