• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What actually happens when you fall off your bike onto your holster/gun.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

In theotherbicycle thread @ http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/8864-2.html

thnycav wrote:
If you did take a spill and hit with enough force to scratch up your weapon that would be the least of your worries. You would think you would be more worried about the road rash on your body.

As a note to others out there: Be careful ! I'm still going to carry when I ride my bicycle, but this is what I did today when I took a spill like you implied.I fell right onto my holstered gun, it probably took a lot of the blow from my fall. (As far as my "road rash" not much other than a scraped knee and hand like I'm sure we've all had from falling off as a kid. ;))

211v61t.jpg

As you can see, the results of falling on a holster is not pretty for the holster. (Especiallya leatherone!)What should I do to make it look better? I know it'll never look like it once did, but I'm thinking maybe some of that holster leather lubricant stuff will help it.

This is what my Smith & Wesson looks like afterwards.

xc9box.jpg
:cry:

The holster did protect the gun quite a bit.

30dj6ed.jpg

rlbxn9.jpg

The grip isa bit scraped up as you can see, but nothing major.

vpc074.jpg

Some scratches where the muzzle area is not protected by the holster.

(It's not related to the incident, but I do also wonder what that blue crap is in front of the where the rifling ends)

So as a result, I will learn to be more careful no doubt. My holster, and belt (belt is a bit scratched up too) do not look so pristine, nor sadly does my gun. But with unfortunate events such as this I must look to the bright side. At least since they are no longer pristine, I won't have to be so careful about scratching them anymore.

Just posted in case anyone is curious what it looks like when you slide off your bike onto the Asphalt and land right on your precious holstered handgun.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
vpc074.jpg

(It's not related to the incident, but I do also wonder what that blue crap is in front of the where the rifling ends)

Dissolved copper residue?

I'm not expert on Smiths, but it looks like there is a real deep crown or perhaps abarrel shroud. Perhaps a little fluid is pushed onto the ledge from moist patches, and then not picked up from the corner by dry patches. Or, if there is a shroud, perhaps a little fluid is getting into the seam between barrel and shroud, and then leaving the copper residue when it dries.

Maybe take a Q-tip to it after cleaning the bore.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Thanks Citizen for the advice. I'll try that. You're right, the rifling endsquite a ways from the end of the muzzle.

Nopeno crazy bruises where the gun was. If there is one its a small one where I can feel a slight sensitive area, but its nothing really.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

OUCH! Sorry about your leather, man. I'm glad I wasn't carrying my leather when I went down on my rollerblades (see my other thread lol). Are you just going to keep carrying on your hip, or try to find out another way to carry it?

eyesopened

imported post

If you carry in a shoulder holster, would you have a greater risk of breaking your ribs in a fall? I'm gonna make an ASSumption (yeah I know how dangerous that is...) and say your pelvis is a lot stronger than your ribs.

Sa45auto

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
If you carry in a shoulder holster, would you have a greater risk of breaking your ribs in a fall? I'm gonna make an ASSumption (yeah I know how dangerous that is...) and say your pelvis is a lot stronger than your ribs.

Have you ever heard of a hip pointer?

Your ribs do give, which would helpand your arm, shoulder and hip,would absorb some of the impact and would not transmit all of the force to your gun and then on to your ribs.

Your hip is solid, with little or no giveand your arm/hand is less likely to absorb some of the impact, than would be the case for a gun in a shoulder holster.

When I plop down on the couch/bed with a gun on my hip, I feel it more than when I do the same thing with a gun in a shoulder holster.

My thoughts on this question.

41 Magnum

imported post

I wouldn't worry too much about the scratches on the gun. They got there honest. Clean them up a bit? Sure. Recontour the whole end of the barrel to get completely rid of them? No reason to.

New set of grips? yes.

Clean the holster up a bit? Yes.

Lose sleep over any of the above? Nope. Your gear did it's job. The gun stayed secure. Besides- You really need a prettier set up for a barbecue dutyanyway.;)

41 Magnum

imported post

Forgot!- Whatever you do, DO NOT use regular shoe polish on the holster, as it wil soften the leather. Then it will have a hard time holding its shape.

You need to find a kiwi product called "parade polish" in the correct color. This should come pretty close to restoring the finish on your rig WITHOUT softening the leather.

Anyway, that's what Lou Alesi told me to use on a rig he made me that I scratched up. Worked out well.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You can sand the leather smooth with progressively finer sandpaper, apply leather dye, and then polish. That's what the elite troops used to do with their boots when they got scratched. Yes, you'll have thinner leather there, and due to the contouring, it'll be harder to do than on a pair of boots, but it will work.

Or you can get a new holster.

Or you can wear it just like that -- a badge of honor, so to speak!

bugly

imported post

Tess wrote:
You can sand the leather smooth with progressively finer sandpaper, apply leather dye, and then polish. That's what the elite troops used to do with their boots when they got scratched. Yes, you'll have thinner leather there, and due to the contouring, it'll be harder to do than on a pair of boots, but it will work.

Or you can get a new holster.

Or you can wear it just like that -- a badge of honor, so to speak!

Wearing it like it is will not only be a "badge of honor", but it will also prove you're not just some noob carrying for the first time. You carry every day and the proof is on your hip.