• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Reason to carry at Home

Eagleeye

imported post

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories/ktvbn-mar2708-home_invasion.59d47d7.html

===========================================
[size="+2"] Masked man kicks way into Boise home[/size] [size="+1"]
FIRST ON KTVB.COM[/size] [size="-1"]
09:56 AM MDT on Thursday, March 27, 2008
[/size] [size="-1"]
KTVB

[/size] BOISE - Police are looking for a man they say forced his way into a home and robbed it a gunpoint.
It happened around 9:30pm on the 1300 block of Longmont Ave. in Boise.
Police say the gunman kicked down the door and entered.
He then threatened the two people inside and tied up their hands.
Police say he stole several items from the house – including an Xbox before leaving.
Lt. David Adams says there are a few things homeowners can do to guard against this type of crime.
"Keep the door locked, keep the phone right at hand, and just being as careful as you can," Adams said. "Really there isn't anymore they could have done in this case."
Police are looking for a white male in his twenties between 6' and 6'2", weighing about 180 to 200 pounds.
He was last seen wearing a dark ski mask over his head, a shirt with some orange color on it, and dark pants.
Right now detectives are following up on possible leads, but are asking anyone with more information to call police at 343-COPS.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories/ktvbn-mar2708-home_invasion.59d47d7.html

[size="+2"] Masked man kicks way into Boise home[/size] [size="+1"]
FIRST ON KTVB.COM[/size] [size="-1"]
[/size] [size="-1"]
KTVB

[/size] BOISE - Police are looking for a man they say forced his way into a home and robbed it a gunpoint.
Police say he stole several items from the house – including an Xbox before leaving.
Lt. David Adams says there are a few things homeowners can do to guard against this type of crime.
"Keep the door locked, keep the phone right at hand, and just being as careful as you can," Adams said. "Really there isn't anymore they could have done in this case."
Police are looking for a white male in his twenties between 6' and 6'2", weighing about 180 to 200 pounds.
He was last seen wearing a dark ski mask over his head, a shirt with some orange color on it, and dark pants.
Right now detectives are following up on possible leads, but are asking anyone with more information to call police at 343-COPS.

I think what he meant was:

Lt. David Adams says there are a few things homeowners can do to guard against this type of crime. "Get good locks and keep the door locked, keep your firearm loaded and near at hand or holstered on your body if you have children in the house, and have your spouse carry a firearm as well to ensure overlapping fields of fire," Adams said. "This isn't Massachussetts. In Idaho, the we recognize your God given right to self-defense.

Decoligny

imported post

Eagleeye wrote:

[size=+2]Masked man kicks way into Boise home[/size] [size=+1]
FIRST ON KTVB.COM[/size] [size=-1]
[/size] [size=-1]
KTVB

[/size]BOISE - Police are looking for a man they say forced his way into a home and robbed it a gunpoint.

Had either one of them been armed, there most certain would have been more they could have done. They could have called 911 to come and take care of the wounded/dead intruded laying on the floor.

Flintlock

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I think what he meant was:

Lt. David Adams says there are a few things homeowners can do to guard against this type of crime. "Get good locks and keep the door locked, keep your firearm loaded and near at hand or holstered on your body if you have children in the house, and have your spouse carry a firearm as well to ensure overlapping fields of fire," Adams said. "This isn't Massachussetts. In Idaho, the we recognize your God given right to self-defense.
Absolutely. :monkey

Pointman

imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
"Keep the door locked, keep the phone right at hand, and just being as careful as you can," Adams said.
What am I supposed to do after I throw the phone at him? Be careful? Huh???

Rey

imported post

That is so pathetic..

"There's really nothing more they could have done..."

Right. Except maybe get raped to go along with robbed. What a crock.

MamaLiberty

imported post

This was in Idaho? Yikes! That's too close to home.

Quite a few people think I'm nuts to carry inside my home, and keep others handy... Not too many home invasions in Wyoming...

But all it takes is one.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I carry even when cutting grass. Had I been the receipient of this thugs' attention, the article might have read:

"He waslaid outwearing a sheet pulled over his head, a shirt with somered bloodstains on it, and dark pants that had been soiled".

MamaLiberty

imported post

I never leave the house unarmed, even to take a bag to the trash can. We don't have much in the way of two legged predators here, but we do have a local resident mountain lion, coyotes, snakes and some potential for wolves. Even the deer can be dangerous.

David.Car

imported post

All as parts to why I carry I did some research, found the statistics for violent crims per year where I live, how many sex offenders live with in just 1 mile. Than last night decided to check the local PD website. They show a list of all the calls they respond to per day.

My street came up 3 times in the 1 day... Who knows what the number is when you include all the side streets in a 1 mile radius...

NaT805

Opt-Out Members
imported post

What if he decided he wanted to rape them tied up like that? Hopefully they would have had a phone handy so after being raped for 3 hours when the crook decides to leave THEN they can call the police and wait 5 minutes for them to show up...right...

I don't care what weapon or how many people there are, I will NOT be tied up. Does any good ever come to people who get tied up? I would rather be dead than found out. This is where gracie jiu-jitsu and muay thai come in handy.

David.Car

imported post

Last night as I was laying in bed, I realised the rear night sights on my sig sitting on my dresser looked like two tiny beady lil green eyes... Made me laugh...

(It sits on top of the dresser until I get a proper nightstand. The top drawer will than receive a foam lineing and will be the new home defense pistol drawer)

tattedupboy

imported post

Unfortunately, you will almost never see police department spokespeople encouraging people to take responsibility for their own safety. I'm not sure if this is because it is not politically correct to do so, or if they really are trying to discourage firearm ownership. Whatever it is, I just wish that it would stop, because attitudes such as this only serve to embolden criminals.

concealed

imported post

I agree with your photo. My opinion has always been that calling the police is "plan B." That said, "stuff" happens and whether you OC or CC it may not make a difference.

A lot of police get killed in the line of duty, and all of them open carry.

If anybody can kick your door in you have inadequate locks. And how many of us would react properly to a door being kicked in by an armed intruder? We'd like to think we'd go for our gun and get the first shot off, but I think many of us would stand there dumbfounded recovering from the shock of the door being kicked in.

The first thing we should do is secure our homes well, then go out and buy a gun if that fails.

protector84

imported post

concealed wrote:
I agree with your photo. My opinion has always been that calling the police is "plan B." That said, "stuff" happens and whether you OC or CC it may not make a difference.

A lot of police get killed in the line of duty, and all of them open carry.

If anybody can kick your door in you have inadequate locks. And how many of us would react properly to a door being kicked in by an armed intruder? We'd like to think we'd go for our gun and get the first shot off, but I think many of us would stand there dumbfounded recovering from the shock of the door being kicked in.

The first thing we should do is secure our homes well, then go out and buy a gun if that fails.

It sounds to me like you do not practice situational awareness. A three-year-old should even have a level of situational awareness taught by his or her parents with a family plan on what to do in case of fire, bad guy, etc. As an adult, you and others whether armed or not should be doing what-if scenarios from time to time in various places and have action plans on how to respond in place. Just as a school has fire drills, you should have a plan in tact on what to do in case of home invasion. Criminals go for victims of opportunity. If they are casing a neighborhood they are more likely to break into the house where people routinely enter and exit in condition white and less likely to hit the house where the occupants have that "ready" look on their faces.

Most people have no defense awareness. People are hesitant to even carry the most basic weapons such as pepperspray which costs less than $10. They tell me of scary situations yet still won't even carry so much as a can of mace or a pocket knife. Not to mention that when they are out in public, they have no awareness of their surroundings. A lot of these people suddenly decide to conceal carry after they have become a victim of crime but survived. Yet they still will behave in condition white assuming their gun will protect them should they need it. Nonsense! People need to realize that most defensive situations involve no weapons and no force of any kind. Perhaps about 90% of potential encounters are stopped with simple awareness and 90% of actual encounters are stopped with verbal de-escalation techniques. Sad to say but much of the public is stupid and when it comes to safety, there is an element of "survival of the fittest" because they are routinely the targets of trouble and the least likely to get out of it. There is a sucker born every minute. Don't let it be you.

concealed

imported post

I agree with everything said, and I do try to be very aware of my surroundings. By being aware, I make every attempt to avoid situations that may involve a weapon, be it karate, a fist or a gun.

I still feel that anyone who is aware of their surroundings should not substutute a gun for having a secure home. I see homes with the best Swiss locks money can buy, and their front door is completely made of window glass.

Yes, I have several guns. Yes I have a CC permit. But no, I can't walk around thinking about all the bad things that can happen to me. Sure, I look both ways when I cross the street, but what kind of a life would I be living if I spent it worrying about everything.

Hell, based on my observations, the most dangerous place I go now is the shooting range. :uhoh:

protector84

imported post

True, it is common sense to have a secure home and especially for one simple reason: you cannot be there at all times. You cannot defend your home or safeguard your valuables when you are not home so good locks are essential. As to being aware of your surroundings, this is essential to your survival. That doesn't mean take it to the level of paranoia but simply utilize your five senses to your advantage. This is not just about safety from bad guys but safety from accidents. Basic situational awareness should not be too stressful. Granted, it does detract to some level from full awareness on what your focusing on. But unless you are at home in front of the TV, you have to divide your awareness properly. A simple example is this: I go to a nightclub where there will be a show of some sort: karaoke, stand-up comedy, a band playing, whatever. Before I even get out of the car, I have looked to see if everything appears normal. I do the same upon entering the club and immediately note where the exits to the building are located. I can sit there drinking and socializing while watching the event and yet still be aware of my surroundings making mental notes if certain things are abnormal such as people having a few too many drinks, someone doing something reckless, excessive crowding, or a decline in the general mental health of the crowd. You have to be able to split your attention appropriately. If you don't, you will end up one extreme or the other: a paranoid freak who cannot enjoy lifeor a zombie who is an accident waiting to happen.

protector84

imported post

Another defensive technique I utilize is to be able to see 360 degrees. This is clearly impossible unless you have positioned yourself to where there are only three directions to your position instead of the usual four (N, S, E, W). People not used to situational awareness will see this as paranoid but when you utilize it regularly, it becomes second nature. I like to be able to see everything that is going on and therefore don't like people directly behind me at an angle where I cannot see them. A simple example of how to avoid this is when you are at a checkout line instead of standing perpendicular to the line so you can only see the person in front of you, you stand at a more parallel angle to where you have the person in front of you as well as the person behind you in your field of vision. It is not an accident that birds and other creatures have eyes on the sides of their heads instead of the front. It is hard to get mugged, pickpocketed, or have a gun grabbed if you see everyone around you vs. having blind spots. Something for others to think about.