• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Reason to carry at Home

Bullseye69

imported post

Protector84, you hit it on the head. Anyone who doesn't practice situational awareness is in for trouble eventually. Like some that have already posted, I carry even while in my home.

As a defensive handgun instructor, my mindset is, I am always aware of anything not the norm inside of my home or outside. Am I paranoid? Not at all, just aware.There is a huge difference in paranoia and awareness. I am not up tight, but relaxed confident in being able to handle most situations. I practice this mindset daily not just once a week or once a month, but daily. I think of situations that I have never encountered like this home invasion that we are all responding to. How would I handle this? Also I talk this over with my wife who is also a concealed carry holder and carries everyday. How would we handle something like this should it happen? Not any harm in being prepared, but survival is being prepared.

protector84

imported post

I never carry in my own home simply because it is not comfortable or needed. This type of situation really just depends on the person's level of comfort and what type of living arrangement they have. Since I live alone in a one bedroom apartment, I have full access and control of the house. For me, the home is all about comfort and I have no problem being in condition white within my home. That is because there are so many safeguards in place that the likelihood of needing the gun on my hip while I am on the couch or in the kitchen is extremely unlikely. Some people have different situations. I think carrying something and being alert outside of the home is a must for everyone but in my opinion if you do feel you need to be in condition yellow inside your dwelling, it may not be a good living arrangement.

I do have safeguards in place, though. The back door has three types of locks making it very difficult for someone to get in. The front door has a deadbolt lock that requires a key on both sides so if someone got in through a window, they'd have trouble getting out. The gun might be put away but there is another gun in the house not to mention a full set of kitchen knives in the kitchen and other types of weapons around the house in other places. Worst comes to worst, there is a baseball bat and a golf club in the closet. So I'm not worried. While some people may feel there is a need to carry indoors, I do not think it is sensible to sleep with a gun underneath your pillow. If you need a gun under your pillow, you have some serious security issues in your house. Some people do this, though.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Several years ago I attended the Bedford Citizens Police Academy. It's a 3 hour a week, 12 week course to familiarize civilians with the local PD. One of the lessons included home security tips. Now the four exterior doors and oneinterior safe room in my home all have locks and deadbolts keyed to one key. Also, all 3/4 inch hinge screws have been replaced with three inch screws. The same is true for the striker plates and deadbolt buckets. There's more but check with your local PD.I always CC my backup whether I'm at home or out, including yard work etc. Inside my home I can access no less than two tactical firarms in less than 10 seconds from anywhere, upstairs or down. Also I have analyzed the "kill zones"in and around the home. I sleep easy, confident in the knowledge that awareness, training and preparation will quickly neutralize an intruder's unfair advantage. I do not wish for my family to experience what the people in the Boise story did, or worse. BTW mine is a "safe" neighborhood. Also, all of these precautions are invisable to guests. And get a friendly dog, let it's instinct to protect you work for you 24/7. CHUCK.

PT 24/7

imported post

cccook wrote:
I sleep easy, confident in the knowledge that awareness, training and preparation will quickly neutralize an intruder's unfair advantage. I do not wish for my family to experience what the people in the Boise story did, or worse. BTW mine is a "safe" neighborhood. Also, all of these precautions are invisable to guests. And get a friendly dog, let it's instinct to protect you work for you 24/7. CHUCK.
All of this situational awareness and constant preparation would be unnecessary if those stinking BGs would just start sending out postcards to let you know when they plan to strike. <sarcasm>

rodbender

imported post

concealed wrote:
The first thing we should do is secure our homes well, then go out and buy a gun if that fails.
How do you know if that fails until someone kicks your door in? You already need the gun.