• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transition from locked case to holster..

Roy

imported post

I plan to start OC'ing this sunday or sometime next week (picking up my xd on sunday). Works kept me pretty busy lately so I haven't had time to look this up... I live in a school zone. My question is after I'm out of the school zone how/where can I remove my handgun fromthe locked caseand place it into my holster without doing anything illegal?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Roy wrote:
I plan to start OC'ing this sunday or sometime next week (picking up my xd on sunday). Works kept me pretty busy lately so I haven't had time to look this up... I live in a school zone. My question is after I'm out of the school zone how/where can I remove my handgun fromthe locked caseand place it into my holster without doing anything illegal?
To my knowledge, there is no law saying when/where/how you holster you can't do this. Just don't 'brandish' it, and you'll be OK. Of course, if someone calls the cops they may try to harass you about it, but the 'gun-free school zone' statute leaves you no choice but to handle your firarm in a public place.

Juice

imported post

I also live in a school zone, and the one time I have OC'd (about to do it again tonight), I left the weapon in the holster and put it in the trunk. Then, when I got to my destination, I took it out and put it on my belt while still holstered. I figured that was the best way so I wouldnt actually have to openly handle the weapon.

Elk Grove is fraught with school zones, so in my trunk is really the only option when driving.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Roy wrote:

What type of transportation first of all ?

In a car...very easy.

In a bus...secluded area (by yourself descretly)

On the street walking...a little bit hairy, but i would find an area were I can do it "in secret". Maybe a restroom....

TJ

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Juice wrote:
I also live in a school zone, and the one time I have OC'd (about to do it again tonight), I left the weapon in the holster and put it in the trunk. Then, when I got to my destination, I took it out and put it on my belt while still holstered. I figured that was the best way so I wouldnt actually have to openly handle the weapon.

Elk Grove is fraught with school zones, so in my trunk is really the only option when driving.
I too usually take the holster off if I have to enter a 'fish-in-a-barrel zone.' This works well with paddle holsters. It could be done with a belt loop holster, but it would be a little more work.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Juice wrote:

I too usually take the holster off if I have to enter a 'fish-in-a-barrel zone.' This works well with paddle holsters. It could be done with a belt loop holster, but it would be a little more work.

Yes, if I didn't have a "permit" I would for sure carry in a paddle holster.

TJ